The Student Room Group

chemistry gcse_Equilibrium: Reversible reactions :/

Can someone explain equilibrium in reversible reaction please? It's very confusing and I don't understand things like 'changing the position of the equilibrium.
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Essentially its about knowing that reactions can go both ways. To make it go more one way you can change the conditions.
If the forward reaction is exothermic (it gives off heat to the system) you can make the reaction go more this way by having low temperatures. This is because if you l=think of it as a balancing scale then if its too cold the equilibrium wants it to be equal so it shifts so its more exothermic to maintain the temperature of the system.
Let me know if you stil don't understand but I hope that helps at least somewhat
Reply 2
Original post by Jehaan
Essentially its about knowing that reactions can go both ways. To make it go more one way you can change the conditions.
If the forward reaction is exothermic (it gives off heat to the system) you can make the reaction go more this way by having low temperatures. This is because if you l=think of it as a balancing scale then if its too cold the equilibrium wants it to be equal so it shifts so its more exothermic to maintain the temperature of the system.
Let me know if you stil don't understand but I hope that helps at least somewhat

OHHH so the temperature is constantly being maintained?
Reply 3
Original post by F.SA
OHHH so the temperature is constantly being maintained?

Kind of but as you are putting so much energy in to keep it in optimum conditions it's not really being maintained its just a way to remember which way it works
here is what i was taught in school many many years ago...
IF YOU KICK AN EQUILIBRIUM, THEN THE EQUILIBRIUM KICKS BACK

IF THE FORWARD REACTION IS EXO; THEN THE EQUILIBRIUM WILL WANT TO GO ENDO
Reply 5
Original post by cricket909090
here is what i was taught in school many many years ago...
IF YOU KICK AN EQUILIBRIUM, THEN THE EQUILIBRIUM KICKS BACK

IF THE FORWARD REACTION IS EXO; THEN THE EQUILIBRIUM WILL WANT TO GO ENDO

Wow equilibriums seem to be sassy.:smile: Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Jehaan
Kind of but as you are putting so much energy in to keep it in optimum conditions it's not really being maintained its just a way to remember which way it works[/
Understood! Thank you, you've been very helpful! :biggrin: :h:
Reply 7
[QUOTE="F.SA;64339321"]
Original post by Jehaan
Kind of but as you are putting so much energy in to keep it in optimum conditions it's not really being maintained its just a way to remember which way it works[/
Understood! Thank you, you've been very helpful! :biggrin: :h:

No problem! I was just thinking about it but you were right in the sense that it wants to keep the temperature constant because if you think about Le Chatelier's principle: The equilibrium will shift to minimise any change in conditions so it is trying to keep the temperature constant

Quick Reply

Latest