The Student Room Group

Spanish A level that or nah?

I am enjoying Spanish at GCSE at the moment, so much so I am contemplating whether to do it at a level. I am predicted a High B but if I work effectively from now I am relatively confident in getting a Low A. Do you think I should do it?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

I did Spanish AS and it was very hard. You have to learn much more grammar than at GCSE. And in the speaking exam you have to answer unprepared questions and you have to write and essay you haven't prepared in the written exam. I got an A* at GCSE and a B at AS. I didn't really enjoy it to be honest because it was too stressful.
That said, many people do enjoy it.
Reply 3
Original post by izpenguin
I did Spanish AS and it was very hard. You have to learn much more grammar than at GCSE. And in the speaking exam you have to answer unprepared questions and you have to write and essay you haven't prepared in the written exam. I got an A* at GCSE and a B at AS. I didn't really enjoy it to be honest because it was too stressful.
That said, many people do enjoy it.

What was your exam board and did you drop the subject?
Original post by Rajive
What was your exam board and did you drop the subject?

It was AQA and yes I dropped it.
Reply 5
If you enjoy it, take it. Just make sure you go over all the grammar you've covered at GCSE over the summer properly.
Reply 6
Original post by Marocain
If you enjoy it, take it. Just make sure you go over all the grammar you've covered at GCSE over the summer properly.

Yeah probably the best way
Reply 7
Original post by Rajive
I am enjoying Spanish at GCSE at the moment, so much so I am contemplating whether to do it at a level. I am predicted a High B but if I work effectively from now I am relatively confident in getting a Low A. Do you think I should do it?

I think if you really enjoy Spanish it is worth taking! I got an A in my GCSE Spanish and an A in my AS Spanish, predicted an A* for my A2 Spanish (in fact my speaking is tomorrow!) However, I think it's worth saying that I was getting Cs the entire year until around March/April last year, when I truly started to understand the language. I find that GCSE teaches you to memorise rather than learn and so AS was the learning process for me. I couldn't really speak fluently in the language until the end of yr12, so I think definitely it is worth taking because it is one of those subjects where you can definitely tell that you have improved because its an obvious difference in your fluency and intonation and things like that. I chose Spanish because it was one of my favourite GCSE options, and so I worked hard at it because I enjoyed it at GCSE so much that I wanted to continue to A-Level. Believe me, the jump is HUGE, I went from speaking Spanish only from memorised paragraphs, to learning how to properly formulate a sentence, so I think be wary of the jump but once you have acclimatised to the language and vocab and things, for the speaking and the reading/writing/listening exams then it should be great! Good luck!
Yes! If you enjoy it, then you will work hard and do well. Also, universities like languages (they are a facilitating subject) and not many people take them anymore so you'll stand out when you apply.
Reply 9
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending