The Student Room Group

Dealing with flatmates who use gas and electric to excess.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im not moaning about anything, im agitated as people are giving an opinion and calling it advice and not thinking about it too much, don't care? Then don't post.

Or its "just pay up even though you don't owe it" that can be argued to be advice in the same way "jump off a cliff" would be advice in that anything said is advice just because it is an opinion.

My "advice" back would be to look outside of the box, do you think it never came to my mind about moving? Or not paying? Or arguing back?

Im talking about people in general and your flatmates. You can put that chip down Just weight up your options and pick the best one. Youve been told what they are. You seem more interested in arguing and moaning rather than dealing with and facing up to the issue.

1. Negotiate= although they will laugh in your face
2. Refuse to co operate- see what happens.
3. Refuse to pay- see what happens
4. Find somewhere else.
5. Carry on being aggrieved.
x

You know a lot less than you think you do, as evidenced by the fact you refuse to listen to reason and believe the things you do. As for laws around renting, I am fully aware of my rights. I am also aware that if you have a deposit and something is damaged in the communal area of the flat everyone is liable to pay unless one person agrees to pay/it can be proven who damaged it. Really, the issue here isn't the law, it's common sense and what is actually going to work in your life - e.g. you can refuse to pay the bill (assuming your name isn't on it) or do the cleaning but life with flatmates can get A LOT worse and you're risking making things worse by doing those things.

You use some electric, gas and water so you have to pay towards them. There is no way to prove who used what and again, this comes back to practicalities, you can't force them to stop showering/cooking whereas if a bill comes with your name on it and doesn't get paid then it will go on your credit score so affects you.

You shouldn't live independently unless you are financially able to live independently. It's really very simple. £80 a week or whatever you get is just not a realistic budget to live on. If you have savings you can move out and job hunt, if not then you just have to do your best with where you are. The world does not owe you anything. This isn't about an ideal world (where obviously you would be able to move to somewhere with jobs and find one), this is about the actual world.

Original post by 999tigger
1. People dont care.
2. Your age is relevant because you seem to be going on and on about it but not listening. Life isnt fair. In your current dilemma then you are at a disadvantge and they exploot your age.
3. People with more experience than you can see this, hence they are telling you to stop moaning becayse its a waste of energy and find somewhere else. Your other alternative is not to pay and not to co operate and see where that gets you.

this is right ^^^

it really doesn't matter that things are hard, 90% of people in shared housing have had to pay up for things they couldn't afford, clean things they didn't think they should have to, put up with noise/crappy TV/whatever despite paying a lot... that is life and you won't get very far if you insist that there must be some sort of solution which allows you to do precisely what you want to do when you want to do it, there isn't, take the advice you've been given and decide whether to move out or get a job

EDIT: also, the ideal situation here is that you all talk together and find a compromise... you might want to have a think about how you are relating to people and discussing things because if you're going about it the same way as you are here then you are never going to find a happy compromise or solution, and that will make living with others really difficult
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doodle_333
You know a lot less than you think you do, as evidenced by the fact you refuse to listen to reason and believe the things you do. As for laws around renting, I am fully aware of my rights. I am also aware that if you have a deposit and something is damaged in the communal area of the flat everyone is liable to pay unless one person agrees to pay/it can be proven who damaged it. Really, the issue here isn't the law, it's common sense and what is actually going to work in your life - e.g. you can refuse to pay the bill (assuming your name isn't on it) or do the cleaning but life with flatmates can get A LOT worse and you're risking making things worse by doing those things.

You use some electric, gas and water so you have to pay towards them. There is no way to prove who used what and again, this comes back to practicalities, you can't force them to stop showering/cooking whereas if a bill comes with your name on it and doesn't get paid then it will go on your credit score so affects you.

You shouldn't live independently unless you are financially able to live independently. It's really very simple. £80 a week or whatever you get is just not a realistic budget to live on. If you have savings you can move out and job hunt, if not then you just have to do your best with where you are. The world does not owe you anything. This isn't about an ideal world (where obviously you would be able to move to somewhere with jobs and find one), this is about the actual world.

this is right ^^^

it really doesn't matter that things are hard, 90% of people in shared housing have had to pay up for things they couldn't afford, clean things they didn't think they should have to, put up with noise/crappy TV/whatever despite paying a lot... that is life and you won't get very far if you insist that there must be some sort of solution which allows you to do precisely what you want to do when you want to do it, there isn't, take the advice you've been given and decide whether to move out or get a job

EDIT: also, the ideal situation here is that you all talk together and find a compromise... you might want to have a think about how you are relating to people and discussing things because if you're going about it the same way as you are here then you are never going to find a happy compromise or solution, and that will make living with others really difficult

AH but you assume I don't know what sharing is like, do you think I don't know about bill disputes, noise from flatmates/neighbours or whatever.

Its being ignored that I already go above and beyond, I dust brush and have even hoovered places like the kitchen and living room during the week even if a few crumbs at most, I scrub the shower and bath and even the toilet more than the rota says.I even wipe down and polish the doors and frames,

£80 a week is unrealistic to live on ? someone over 25 on benefits would get £70 under 25 £57.90 and then you have to pay for things like bills, rent top ups and more off that, yet £10-£15 a week just for food and the odd luxury and minor expenses is seen as nothing? Yes I know most of their rent is paid.

They are OCD though, one time I dropped plaster off my finger onto floor and they said it has germs and compared it to a condom so demanded me pick it up instant (I never even noticed it fell off) Another time a sock fell out of my basket and they knocked on my door and said "im not picking it up it may have germs on it"

And FYI when I looked after my relatives flats they had noisy neighbours, imagine being woken between 1-5am most mornings by a barking dog, them using my relatives bin to dump rubbish (which included dog mess) having garden parties and when politely asking for them to not even turn music off but put it down a little as its getting on for midnight for them to threaten agression and then put dog mess on the windows and also door handles.
If you are so unhappy there, then move. It would normally be possible to negotiate, but they arent going to see you as anything more than a whiney 17 year old they can push around. Accept the reality. You seem to be more interested in picking an argument telling us how knowledgeable you are.
AH but you assume I don't know what sharing is like, do you think I don't know about bill disputes, noise from flatmates/neighbours or whatever.

Its being ignored that I already go above and beyond, I dust brush and have even hoovered places like the kitchen and living room during the week even if a few crumbs at most, I scrub the shower and bath and even the toilet more than the rota says.I even wipe down and polish the doors and frames,

£80 a week is unrealistic to live on ? someone over 25 on benefits would get £70 under 25 £57.90 and then you have to pay for things like bills, rent top ups and more off that, yet £10-£15 a week just for food and the odd luxury and minor expenses is seen as nothing? Yes I know most of their rent is paid.

They are OCD though, one time I dropped plaster off my finger onto floor and they said it has germs and compared it to a condom so demanded me pick it up instant (I never even noticed it fell off) Another time a sock fell out of my basket and they knocked on my door and said "im not picking it up it may have germs on it"

And FYI when I looked after my relatives flats they had noisy neighbours, imagine being woken between 1-5am most mornings by a barking dog, them using my relatives bin to dump rubbish (which included dog mess) having garden parties and when politely asking for them to not even turn music off but put it down a little as its getting on for midnight for them to threaten agression and then put dog mess on the windows and also door handles.

I'm not going to respond to you anymore. You've had all the advice you can get and are still coming out with argument after argument that doesn't help your cause (like wtf, of course you should pick up your own gross plasters and socks...).
Reply 45
OP sounds like your flatmates are in the wrong somewhat, but seriously ...you are like the most frugal young person I have ever come across in my life.

what would have happened with that girl if your flatmate hadn't of cockblocked you. What about the date. Would you have taken her for fish and chips? ....but come with an asda potato peeler and a makeshift fishing rod made of discarded household items....??
Original post by ANM775
OP sounds like your flatmates are in the wrong somewhat, but seriously ...you are like the most frugal young person I have ever come across in my life.

what would have happened with that girl if your flatmate hadn't of cockblocked you. What about the date. Would you have taken her for fish and chips? ....but come with an asda potato peeler and a makeshift fishing rod made of discarded household items....??

Im not frugal as much as don't spend more than I need, I sometimes treat myself to a egg roll and pint of milk at college that costs £1.20 when I am hungry.

Logic is more why pay say £10 for a curry from take away on corner when I can get just as good one if not better for £5 that is 10 minutes walk away, I see it as not being lazy.

I am hardly ever hungry I am in fact losing weight I only used to eat because my parents made me regular meals though I do get hungry sometimes.

Lets say my parents decide to treat me and give me a tenner I will use that for a few pints and a take away, say someone tells me to buy theme a bottle of milk and a bag of chips and hands me a fiver and says keep the change I will walk to the nearest supermarket (15 minutes walk) and use the change to buy me a treat.

I wish I had a littlemore yes, more like £30 to live reasonable if not £40 per week that will be a lot to me, would mean I can go drinking once a week, buy more meat and get a takeaway maybe once and have some left over for excess bills.

I have been looking for a Saturday job but they are hard to find, I even looked before I left home but I decided it will eat into my study time and free time.

£10 is doable especially when I know how to make things like home made soup, or cakes to fill me up if not really good if I go to supermarket late
Original post by doodle_333
I'm not going to respond to you anymore. You've had all the advice you can get and are still coming out with argument after argument that doesn't help your cause (like wtf, of course you should pick up your own gross plasters and socks...).

When did I say I wouldn't which is why I was getting agitated as people are making assumptions I never noticed.

They don't complain when I bring their washing to their doors when I need to use the machine but complain about picking up my stuff.

If you are so unhappy there, then move. It would normally be possible to negotiate, but they arent going to see you as anything more than a whiney 17 year old they can push around. Accept the reality. You seem to be more interested in picking an argument telling us how knowledgeable you are.

Im saying more I am not niave than know a lot.

Im saying more I am not niave than know a lot.

It doesnt make sense.
It doesnt make sense.

As in I researched tenancy issues before hand so I didn't go into accomodation shocked there would be problems if anything I was suprised they weren't big drinkers and didnt have guests round often.

And I picked a house rather than the halls as I didn't want to deal with parties or such.

Halls actually were the same price but all inclusive rather than part inclusive as they are here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending