The Student Room Group

Abusive parents help

Thanks for reading. I am 19 and my parents, specially my mum, is and has always been abusive. Dhe always has something to complain about, talks badly about people constantly and complainsabout her life even though she has everything she could ask for. When she argues with me or my sister, all she does is spill it out to everyone and when we don't argue, she still belittles us in front of people when she has the chance. She's always used violent methods to punish us and says it's ok and she can do what she wants "under her roof" when we highlight it. This and much more, to the point that I spend every day all day in my bedroom or at my gf's, whom I can't bring home because my mother will take the oportunity to "make things interesting". To make this whole situation worse, my dad works at the police and doesn't do anything about it cause she'll threaten him with divorce. I also have a little brother, but he's her favourite dince he always sticks on her side and gets in between when we argue and tells her everything she needs to know to be on the high side. Eg: he looked through all of my drawers once while I was at college and found condoms and told her. I'll come back to that later.
The other day, my sister arrived from argentina after being there for a few months. My sister and my mother have always had much more friction than I and my mother have. Anyway, my mother was being very annoying and interrupting her conversations every 10 seconds to ask questions that were simply not her problem. My sister is 31 now. So my sister walks away and comes to the living room with me. My mother later comes and they start arguing about something as usual. However, my sister said something that must have touched my mother's nerve and she tried to kick my sister out. My sister sat and refused to move until she was gone, so my mother started dragging her from her hair. That is until I stood up and stopped her and shouted at her very angrily. Dad then came down and pushed me around while mother was happy in the back. I left the house with my sister, and as I walked away, my mother runned upstairs to my room, took the condoms out and ran after me while waving them and mocking me about them.
I left the house for 3 days and I'm back now but as soon as I arrived she started abusing me again and entering my room to shout at my face.
There's a lot more but as you may imagine, I could be here all day. I need help. I depend of my home and of them financially since I'm studying and going to uni in september, but I really can't stand it anymore. I'm a 19 yo guy that's had to leave the house twice now because of physical and mental abuse and I can't cope with that, a job and my studies which I am juggling right now. I can't call the childline because I'moverge and I can't move out because I simply can't afford it. I know I'll be out in september but another 5 months of this is truly unbeareable. I don't care about the concequences but my parents need to be checked up and to realise that they don't rule the law any differently in their house. What can I do? The internet seems to be useless with this kind of situation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can go to the police in a different area to report the abuse. Your little brother might not be getting abuse aimed at him but witnessing violence and abuse is equally as damaging as receiving it.

I understand that this is very difficult for you. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Reply 2
Original post by ~Tara~
You can go to the police in a different area to report the abuse. Your little brother might not be getting abuse aimed at him but witnessing violence and abuse is equally as damaging as receiving it.

I understand that this is very difficult for you. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I could go to the police in here and it would be the same, my dad doesn't stop me from going to the police... He's not that bad in this situation but certainly contributes. The difference is, I do get along with him when things are fine, and working at the police means that if he or someone close to him would be involved in a criminal case as such, he'd lose his job and I don't want that, which makes the situation a lot harder. About my brother, I agree. He's 13 and lately has been saying that I need a punch in the face... Not much I can do about it :frown:
Reply 3
Your dad wouldn't lose his job if your mum were arrested. Not automatically, it would depend on circumstances. People often say stuff like that to keep children quiet.

This is about keeping you and your brother safe. If you don't want to make a formal complaint you can make an anonymous call to social services
Reply 4
I also want to say that it's normal to feel conflicted. They're your parents after all. It's also normal to attach to the person who is less abusive and feel great loyalty to them. We have to do stuff like that to survive in a difficult or abusive environment. But that doesn't mean that that "kinder" person isn't also abusive or colluding in your abuse. You might not be ready to really address that and that's fine but I think you know you need outside help at this point. Even if you leave in a few months, your brother is still there.

I grew up in an abusive household where it was solely aimed at me. When I left their attention moved down to my sibling. I wish I could have recognised that it was abusive so that I could have saved my sibling from that environment. But I didn't know it wasn't normal to be treated that way.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for reading. I am 19 and my parents, specially my mum, is and has always been abusive. Dhe always has something to complain about, talks badly about people constantly and complainsabout her life even though she has everything she could ask for. When she argues with me or my sister, all she does is spill it out to everyone and when we don't argue, she still belittles us in front of people when she has the chance. She's always used violent methods to punish us and says it's ok and she can do what she wants "under her roof" when we highlight it. This and much more, to the point that I spend every day all day in my bedroom or at my gf's, whom I can't bring home because my mother will take the oportunity to "make things interesting". To make this whole situation worse, my dad works at the police and doesn't do anything about it cause she'll threaten him with divorce. I also have a little brother, but he's her favourite dince he always sticks on her side and gets in between when we argue and tells her everything she needs to know to be on the high side. Eg: he looked through all of my drawers once while I was at college and found condoms and told her. I'll come back to that later.
The other day, my sister arrived from argentina after being there for a few months. My sister and my mother have always had much more friction than I and my mother have. Anyway, my mother was being very annoying and interrupting her conversations every 10 seconds to ask questions that were simply not her problem. My sister is 31 now. So my sister walks away and comes to the living room with me. My mother later comes and they start arguing about something as usual. However, my sister said something that must have touched my mother's nerve and she tried to kick my sister out. My sister sat and refused to move until she was gone, so my mother started dragging her from her hair. That is until I stood up and stopped her and shouted at her very angrily. Dad then came down and pushed me around while mother was happy in the back. I left the house with my sister, and as I walked away, my mother runned upstairs to my room, took the condoms out and ran after me while waving them and mocking me about them.
I left the house for 3 days and I'm back now but as soon as I arrived she started abusing me again and entering my room to shout at my face.
There's a lot more but as you may imagine, I could be here all day. I need help. I depend of my home and of them financially since I'm studying and going to uni in september, but I really can't stand it anymore. I'm a 19 yo guy that's had to leave the house twice now because of physical and mental abuse and I can't cope with that, a job and my studies which I am juggling right now. I can't call the childline because I'moverge and I can't move out because I simply can't afford it. I know I'll be out in september but another 5 months of this is truly unbeareable. I don't care about the concequences but my parents need to be checked up and to realise that they don't rule the law any differently in their house. What can I do? The internet seems to be useless with this kind of situation.

as long as dad is fine with it and is financially stable why not? i see no problem fk your mum(not literally .-.) let her do what she wants in life when the divorce comes.

out of interest how old is your mom?? Btw you could say at least you get some while she doesn't xD

i mean just ignore them or try and get some help from school or somewhere else with some sort of authority...
fight back, you're old enough, you can be right but ignorance is bliss so if your mum ignores your brilliant comebacks then there's not much you can do :/ but in your heart you'll know that you were right.
if you need any help with arguments or comebacks just reply to me i'm sure i can help
Reply 6
Original post by thefatone
as long as dad is fine with it and is financially stable why not? i see no problem fk your mum(not literally .-.) let her do what she wants in life when the divorce comes.

out of interest how old is your mom?? Btw you could say at least you get some while she doesn't xD

i mean just ignore them or try and get some help from school or somewhere else with some sort of authority...
fight back, you're old enough, you can be right but ignorance is bliss so if your mum ignores your brilliant comebacks then there's not much you can do :/ but in your heart you'll know that you were right.
if you need any help with arguments or comebacks just reply to me i'm sure i can help

Haha thanks. Dad would not be fine with that or he wouldn't be sticking up for her. And about comebacks, don't worry, my sister and I are comeback masters by now with all the times mum has commented nastily about literally anything to us. she's quite savage though, always says what she shouldn't and strikes where it most hurts and she won't stop herself of going too far with her comments. She's a very racist and inconsiderate person and I'm sure that secretly believes herself to be perfect, or so it seems. Due to this, I've learnt to be very secretive since little and all I have learnt from her is how much I don't want to be like her :/
I would go to the police, but I just want some organisation that will come up to the door and sit them down for a talk. Then keep an eye on them and make a check up every once in a while with the threat that if they do something out of place during that time, they will be prosecuted. Or at least a warning if that's too much to ask. Ideally, I'd like someone to help me be away from them and help me move out but since I'm far from being a priority, that wouldn't happen. All my friends are in uni or I'd move out with them and pay monthly, or I'd go with my gf but that would implicate getting to college late an hour every day which I can't do. It's a crap situation :/ thanks for the good vibe haha
Reply 7
Original post by thefatone

And to answer your question, she's 55
Reply 8
I just want some organisation that will come up to the door and sit them down for a talk. Then keep an eye on them and make a check up every once in a while with the threat that if they do something out of place during that time, they will be prosecuted. Or at least a warning if that's too much to ask. Ideally, I'd like someone to help me be away from them and help me move out but since I'm far from being a priority, that wouldn't happen.

Social services would help with the first thing. It's not just about removing people from the home. They can develop a support plan.

Second part of your answer; try shelter, framework, citizens advice. Even if they cannot help they will know a local organisation that can help. You're not alone in this x
Reply 9
What county are you in?
Original post by ~Tara~
What county are you in?

Thanks for the info :smile: in North Wales
Reply 11
I'll see if I can find anything more area specific for you :smile:
Stay with a friend?
Make sure you've got everything ready for September so that you can make a clean exit. Be sure to have a plan in that regard.

It's the next five months that is the challenge isn't it. I stay at friends houses when I need a break. Even if that's sporadic maybe this could be a coping mechanism until September.

In terms of reporting your parents to the police, it's a tricky one because it's not perhaps as simple as "oh well I'll just report it" in how it's like how would you or others cope with the potential fallout of that. Abuse is never ok. In terms of how you deal with it between now and September re your living arrangements, there is probably an element of you needing to look after number one here even if that means being a bit clever by keeping out of their way and effing off out of it to uni in September anyway.

Wishing you well.
Haha thanks. Dad would not be fine with that or he wouldn't be sticking up for her. And about comebacks, don't worry, my sister and I are comeback masters by now with all the times mum has commented nastily about literally anything to us. she's quite savage though, always says what she shouldn't and strikes where it most hurts and she won't stop herself of going too far with her comments. She's a very racist and inconsiderate person and I'm sure that secretly believes herself to be perfect, or so it seems. Due to this, I've learnt to be very secretive since little and all I have learnt from her is how much I don't want to be like her :/
I would go to the police, but I just want some organisation that will come up to the door and sit them down for a talk. Then keep an eye on them and make a check up every once in a while with the threat that if they do something out of place during that time, they will be prosecuted. Or at least a warning if that's too much to ask. Ideally, I'd like someone to help me be away from them and help me move out but since I'm far from being a priority, that wouldn't happen. All my friends are in uni or I'd move out with them and pay monthly, or I'd go with my gf but that would implicate getting to college late an hour every day which I can't do. It's a crap situation :/ thanks for the good vibe haha

And to answer your question, she's 55

ah i see... only a few years older than my dad xD

yay! good good :smile:

that's just too far sometimes, the occasional savage joke is ok but all the time tells me she's not a nice person at all

egotistical and possible narcissist?

secretive is good :smile: i learnt to do that since my mentality is passively manipulative somewhat

yea ppl generally don't really take care and actually try and sort out the problem, as long as they've done something it's ok...

well, since you're a self-proclaimed comback master i'm sure being right and getting those jokes on point isn't a problem but i guess the only thing now is to endure it, try your best to study and get a good job and then move away from home.

personally i think this is peak times for you
Reply 16
How old is your brother? If he is under 18, then you can report your mum to the local safeguarding children's board. (The number can be found via Google.)

He is witnessing abuse, which is a form of abuse in and of itself. That needs reporting. It's also likely that your mum will turn on him once you've left home.

Once you report your mum, make a disclosure to a teacher that you trust. Teachers are trained in safeguarding and they will know what to do. That teacher will also be able to help you access support from social services.

As a victim of abuse, you will qualify for housing benefit and income support allowance because it's not safe for you to be at home. Contact shelter, they will be able to help you get housing. You will also qualify for an increased rate of student loan, because it's not safe for you to have contact with your parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, that is the worst situation to be in. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you thought about going to social services?

Hope it gets sorted out. If you need advice I am here. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

call socal sevices
i have seen some simler posts oh hete befor one girl was forbiden to go to uni she left anyway all the way up to Scotland was on the station in her uni town (so close). And she got a call saying come home or I will kill myself this is a commen control tacktic and your mum may pull that trick it's usally just hot ar don't fall for it or if you want a compleat brake change your number. as a safe gurd talk to your mate and see if you can stay at his for about a week befor uni so that your mum can't try to stop you (by locking you in your room or somthing just befor you go). it seems like somthing that she would try from what I have read

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending