The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by optimus9000
its a lot easier than you expect!
i assumed i had failed, ended up with an A*

Did you do the exam last year? Any tips? BTW, what grade did you get on your CW + Speaking + Listening?
Please!! this would help me so much! in my mock exam i got an A and i would really love an A* this time. Every little helps:smile:
Original post by ibte10
Ok i will probably release it tomorrow or Friday. I am planning to cover each question and try to provide model answers.
Original post by optimus9000
its a lot easier than you expect!
i assumed i had failed, ended up with an A*

Hahaha I agree! I was shocked getting an A* because I thought I'd end up with a C! However because its so easy, that's what makes it so hard lol because you think the answer is complex but actually its not :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
14 Days left :frown: GOOD LUCK YALL
Original post by ShahbazKHAN
14 Days left :frown: GOOD LUCK YALL

Its just so scary that 5 years ago we were in year 7 and now our time is finally here to finish our GCSEs and leave secondary school. Honestly time does go fast :frown:
Good luck to you too and everyone else :smile: hopefully we can all smash the exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10
Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
Credit goes to @metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!

Another thing that confuses me is what will be on the paper? Like, I went on this slide which helps with GCSE English Language, but it contained numerous questions about 1 article? Will that be on the paper on May 3rd too?! My teacher never told me about this. He only mentioned the IGCSE papers with Q1, Q2 and Q3.
Original post by Perfection Ace
Another thing that confuses me is what will be on the paper? Like, I went on this slide which helps with GCSE English Language, but it contained numerous questions about 1 article? Will that be on the paper on May 3rd too?! My teacher never told me about this. He only mentioned the IGCSE papers with Q1, Q2 and Q3.

Thts yhe paper we shall be doing- ee do PAPER 2
Original post by ibte10
Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
Credit goes to @metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!

Wow the IGCSE papers look a lot harder in comparison to the normal GCSE ones.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Its just so scary that 5 years ago we were in year 7 and now our time is finally here to finish our GCSEs and leave secondary school. Honestly time does go fast :frown:
Good luck to you too and everyone else :smile: hopefully we can all smash the exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: Good luck :smile: btw in my school we did a mock english igcse paper and i got an E in the exam and my coursework bough it into a A (Last year grade boundaries).. i want to get an C or B in the exam xD
Original post by ibte10
Ok i will probably release it tomorrow or Friday. I am planning to cover each question and try to provide model answers.

Hey still wondering if you are doing this :h:
Reply 90
Goodluck those sitting this, the nov resit was so easy last year
Reply 91
Original post by ellamoon_22
Hey still wondering if you are doing this :h:

I am hoping to release it soon- either tomorrow or Saturday.
On question 1 (the 3 bullet points), will the answers be from all over the article or just the few first paragraphs?
Original post by Perfection Ace
On question 1 (the 3 bullet points), will the answers be from all over the article or just the few first paragraphs?

The answers will be from the whole text not just the first few paragraphs
How many points are needed for each of those 3 areas in the first question?

(Can somebody summarise how to structure: Interviews, reports and newpaper articles please?
Original post by shohaib712
How many points are needed for each of those 3 areas in the first question?

(Can somebody summarise how to structure: Interviews, reports and newpaper articles please?

6 points for bullet points 1 and 2 and then 4 points for bullet point 3.
For the structure just remember FLAP.
Form, Language, Audience and Purpose.
So the form of a Newspaper article is obviously a newspaper article lol, the language would be formal, the audience would depend on the passage and the purpose would be to inform etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I wanted to know if anyone knows what mark I'll need in the exam to get (if it's possible) an A. This is what I got:

Inform: 37/40
Describe: 37/40
Argue: writing was 37/40 and reading was 7/10.
So coursework mark altogether was 44, which is an A.

My speaking and listening was crap it was 24/30 which is a high B (one away from A, I'm so bummed)

So yeah anyone know what mark I'll need on the exam? I'm thinking 30/50 for a mid/high A altogether?
I did the exam in November as early entry, and my teacher said to try and include 5 points in each of the 3 areas of the first question, also if you are writing a newspaper article/report, do not quote the text!! When I did a mock (last years one about the Ospreys) I quoted the people from the text with quotation marks and didn't get the marks for it, so if you are gonna include quotes to make it seem like a more realistic report/newspaper article, then change the wording up a little or it won't be marked :frown: Hope that was helpful, idk maybe the quote thing is obvious but a bunch of my class quoted the people in the text to match the style of a newspaper haha
Original post by hello654321
Hi I wanted to know if anyone knows what mark I'll need in the exam to get (if it's possible) an A. This is what I got:

Inform: 37/40
Describe: 37/40
Argue: writing was 37/40 and reading was 7/10.
So coursework mark altogether was 44, which is an A.

My speaking and listening was crap it was 24/30 which is a high B (one away from A, I'm so bummed)

So yeah anyone know what mark I'll need on the exam? I'm thinking 30/50 for a mid/high A altogether?

My coursework was a B overall, and I needed 37/50 to get an A, so if yours is an A overall then I assume you need about 30-35 probably, so you're about right :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by pugs.notdrugs
My coursework was a B overall, and I needed 37/50 to get an A, so if yours is an A overall then I assume you need about 30-35 probably, so you're about right :smile:

If the grade boundaries do not drastically change I would say about 30-33 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending