The Student Room Group

MSc Finance Imperial Vs Rotterdam School Management.

Hi all,I have received and offer for both RSM and Imperial. My question is which one should I take considering I would need a loan of over 65,000 euros and RSM I would only need 15,000 euros. Is Imperial worth that much more of a loan. My end goal is to land a job in the city S+T. At 21 the thought of a 60+k loan is not appealing but in saying that I see a masters as a investment in my future so if the Return on Investment is much greater I will gladly pay.
Any advice welcome have to respond to imperial offer by next wednesday though.
Reply 2
Hi

Was in a similar situation to you (considering Rotterdam) . As a business school Rotterdam is respected, but it doesn't place into London IB/S+T to put it simply. If i remember correctly, its main employers were consultancy and the big 4. Obviously you CAN get into S+T through it, but Imperial gives you a realistic chance, whereas Rotterdam doesn't (unless you've got relevant internships then maybe its worth going for Rotterdam and trying your luck!) . Simply is a matter of how much you value trying to get into S+T. I myself am accepting either Warwick or LSE and i've come to realise I want to focus on a city career too.

Bear in mind, Imperial is no guarantee either. Uni names can only get you through screening (and that's if you're lucky!)

Best of luck deciding
Original post by StefanG
Hi

Was in a similar situation to you (considering Rotterdam) . As a business school Rotterdam is respected, but it doesn't place into London IB/S+T to put it simply. If i remember correctly, its main employers were consultancy and the big 4. Obviously you CAN get into S+T through it, but Imperial gives you a realistic chance, whereas Rotterdam doesn't (unless you've got relevant internships then maybe its worth going for Rotterdam and trying your luck!) . Simply is a matter of how much you value trying to get into S+T. I myself am accepting either Warwick or LSE and i've come to realise I want to focus on a city career too.

Bear in mind, Imperial is no guarantee either. Uni names can only get you through screening (and that's if you're lucky!)

Best of luck deciding

Cheers mate,

So does RSM place in consulting quiet well?

Thanks for the advice I realise Imperial is much better uni but i am afraid if i dont land a s&t role ill be in debt until im 30 with a 60g loan.

Tough decisions ahead.
Reply 4
Original post by Hellogoodbye23
Cheers mate,

So does RSM place in consulting quiet well?

Thanks for the advice I realise Imperial is much better uni but i am afraid if i dont land a s&t role ill be in debt until im 30 with a 60g loan.

Tough decisions ahead.

To be fair I just checked over their alumni, and there are quite a few IB placements! Most of them having done internships before the degree, or doing IB in Holland though.

Have a look at this, assuming you're going for the Finance and Investments course:
http://www.rsm.nl/graduate-placement-report-2015/employment/

If I remember correctly they listed Boston Consultancy as one of their top employers too. Management consultancy definitely would be an amazing outcome for an almost free degree!

The problem being, I think RSM can work very well for some people. If you're fluent in Dutch you can get a good placement in Holland after graduation, then transition to UK with that 1 year of work experience or whatever. If you're English and you're deciding to go to Rotterdam, I doubt it carries anywhere near as much weight in the UK as it does over the channel.
Original post by StefanG
To be fair I just checked over their alumni, and there are quite a few IB placements! Most of them having done internships before the degree, or doing IB in Holland though.

Have a look at this, assuming you're going for the Finance and Investments course:
http://www.rsm.nl/graduate-placement-report-2015/employment/

If I remember correctly they listed Boston Consultancy as one of their top employers too. Management consultancy definitely would be an amazing outcome for an almost free degree!

The problem being, I think RSM can work very well for some people. If you're fluent in Dutch you can get a good placement in Holland after graduation, then transition to UK with that 1 year of work experience or whatever. If you're English and you're deciding to go to Rotterdam, I doubt it carries anywhere near as much weight in the UK as it does over the channel.

Ya i get what your saying

So basically its considered a good business school for placing people but these roles would be generally dutch speaking / dutch based roles as its top in netherlands?

Irish actually but aiming to work in the city so same difference.

Thanks for this post. I think after reading this imperial is the choice. I didnt think of it as a two tier type system with the dutch taking a fair whack of the jobs due to language.
Reply 6
Ya i get what your saying

So basically its considered a good business school for placing people but these roles would be generally dutch speaking / dutch based roles as its top in netherlands?

Irish actually but aiming to work in the city so same difference.

Thanks for this post. I think after reading this imperial is the choice. I didnt think of it as a two tier type system with the dutch taking a fair whack of the jobs due to language.

I do stress that my opinion is merely an opinion, I have no professional insight on the topic.

By logic, foreign business schools hold less weight in the UK generally, unless we're talking the real top dogs such as Ivy League, maybe some more of the TOP EU ones (SSE, Bocconi, HEC etc). Rotterdam is the top BS in Holland as far as I know, so naturally I'd imagine Dutch finance firms would hire from there, and I'd imagine Dutch language would be required even if its not used. Why would the likes of London banks need to consider a second tier EU school when they have the likes of Imperial/Oxbridge/LSE on their doorstep?
Original post by StefanG
I do stress that my opinion is merely an opinion, I have no professional insight on the topic.

By logic, foreign business schools hold less weight in the UK generally, unless we're talking the real top dogs such as Ivy League, maybe some more of the TOP EU ones (SSE, Bocconi, HEC etc). Rotterdam is the top BS in Holland as far as I know, so naturally I'd imagine Dutch finance firms would hire from there, and I'd imagine Dutch language would be required even if its not used. Why would the likes of London banks need to consider a second tier EU school when they have the likes of Imperial/Oxbridge/LSE on their doorstep?

Cheers stefan for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it and your bit of info has made my choice a little easier. Although I am uneasy about entering debt of such amount so young hopefully it will pay off.
Reply 8
Cheers stefan for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it and your bit of info has made my choice a little easier. Although I am uneasy about entering debt of such amount so young hopefully it will pay off.

Yeah, think carefully. I am exactly the same situation with LSE and Imperial. Debt is scary as hell!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending