The Student Room Group

No motivation any more year 11 !!!

So I have been serious about studying since the first day of year 11 and I have been studying and revising since September . From September to December I revised quite a lot especially because of mocks . Then from January to March I did a lot of revision and during easter I did about 6-9 hours per day. Now I have a couple of weeks left and I don't feel bothered anymore. You may think because of all the revision I did I must know everything but unfortunately that's not the case . Please motivate me I don't know why I'm feeling this way.
( my grammar is awful but I'm panicking )
Sadly, I only started revising a few weeks ago, and I have already ran out of hope or any kind of motivation. :colonhash:
6-9 hours a day?! After school? Damn you need to take breaks or you will burn out and it will be counter productive. Take frequent breaks and try and work in 45 mins chunks. Only time you should spend longer is If it's a past paper you are doing and it's meant to take a long time. Especially for GCSEs, you are really over working yourself. I do about 4-5 hours but that's because it's A level. I take many breaks too, and whenever I spend longer it's due to past papers. You will get your motivation back once you study a little less but more efficiently. What subjects are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by RueXO
6-9 hours a day?! After school? Damn you need to take breaks or you will burn out and it will be counter productive. Take frequent breaks and try and work in 45 mins chunks. Only time you should spend longer is If it's a past paper you are doing and it's meant to take a long time. Especially for GCSEs, you are really over working yourself. I do about 4-5 hours but that's because it's A level. I take many breaks too, and whenever I spend longer it's due to past papers. You will get your motivation back once you study a little less but more efficiently. What subjects are you studying?

Oh no I don't revise 6-9 hours after school that was in the easter break. Also I study :
Core science
Additional science
English literature
English language
Maths
Economics
Art
Geography
French

Did you do any of these subjects if you did , how did you revise and if you don't mind me asking what did you get?

V
Reply 4
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Sadly, I only started revising a few weeks ago, and I have already ran out of hope or any kind of motivation. :colonhash:

Aww don't worry you will do fine you still have time 👏.
What subject do you do and what are you aiming to get if you don't mind me asking?
If you've been studying 6-9 hours a day you should already be good. Not sure what more you can do, feel free to take some time off.
The exact thing happened to me when studying for my Gcse, i must admit i never till the day before my exam go the motivation i had over the break back, this definitely affected my maths mark.. anyways what i would advise, is whats helping my get through my A levels, not wanting to feel the same feeling that i did when i completed my Gcse exams feeling like i didn't do enough, there's nothing better than walking out of an exam knowing you did everything you could to get that A*. For English Literature i used a lot of blogs which i then created my own point of view for with regards to analysing work. For the rest of my subjects i did a lot of past papers. I know it may seem impossible to find the motivation but with 6-9 hours of revision, this tell me how dedicated you are to your studies so DO NOT give up now! Wishing you the best of luck for your upcoming exams!
Reply 7
Original post by lailapianai
The exact thing happened to me when studying for my Gcse, i must admit i never till the day before my exam go the motivation i had over the break back, this definitely affected my maths mark.. anyways what i would advise, is whats helping my get through my A levels, not wanting to feel the same feeling that i did when i completed my Gcse exams feeling like i didn't do enough, there's nothing better than walking out of an exam knowing you did everything you could to get that A*. For English Literature i used a lot of blogs which i then created my own point of view for with regards to analysing work. For the rest of my subjects i did a lot of past papers. I know it may seem impossible to find the motivation but with 9th hours of revision, this tell me how dedicated you are to your studies so DO NOT give up now! Wishing you the best of luck for your upcoming exams!

Thank you so much I will try as hard as I can ! What subject are you studying now ?
(I don't want to sound patronising) but your subjects aren't particularly hard, the only difficult-ish one I do it triple science, just because it's linear (alot to remember) and some of the stuff in the last unit of physics is really difficult, but none of your subjects are really so difficult that you should spend that long revising - take a break off! Have a few days off and get back into it, make lists on what you need to prioritise.

Out of curiosity, what did you get in your mocks / what are you currently targeted after all this work?
I'm doing economics, pure maths, English, English literature and business studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chubb890
Oh no I don't revise 6-9 hours after school that was in the easter break. Also I study :
Core science
Additional science
English literature
English language
Maths
Economics
Art
Geography
French

Did you do any of these subjects if you did , how did you revise and if you don't mind me asking what did you get?

V

Ah that's okay then I guess, how did you space your time? How many subjects did you do per day?
Out of those subjects I did Geography (as well as obviously the Englishes and Maths) and I got As in them all. With English it was very fortunate lol I got A*s in all modules besides one, which dragged me down to an A (I got a very low B in that and high A*s in the others, but I personally think the essay went well. Idek I blame OCR, my teacher refused to get it remarked since I left and went to a college😂)

Well, for geography we did AQA, and the topics I did were Rocks, Restless Earth, Tourism and Population (I think. I don't remember if there were more because I legit haven't touched a geography textbook since GCSE) and I made sure I learnt every case study really well. I found flash cards pretty useful, and i watched those videos teachers put on etc they helped too. Geography was my most hated subject and I used to get Bs and Cs, but after I started paying more attention to the case studies and practicing the long questions I started getting As and A*s. Narrowly missed the A* because of human geography damn😂😂 also make sure you get lots of feedback from teachers, and get them to give you lots of past papers. Also look up markschemes because exam boards tend to be pretty repetitive and particular about what info they want and also never answer questions in bullet points, because even if you know everything it limits you to a lower band (but if you run out of time you'd have no choice- once again to prevent this do some past papers under timed conditions).

Maths: just do past papers. Every single one you can access. Literally. And then identify where you go wrong, and get textbooks and go through those chapters. Get an amazing calculator- Casio FX-991ESPLUS is amazing because you can solve quadratics on there! Do some research about calculators- it can get you that A* pretty effortlessly. I do AS maths now and for c2 and stats my calculator is really getting me through!

English, I do Lit now and honestly, as long as you read a lot you will get good grades. But obviously don't read 'trash' (I hate using this term but you know what I mean) try reading books written by the authors you are studying. I guess you're doing Mice and Men, right? Read more of Steinbeck, etc. For unseen poetry, just practice annotating random poems. Ask your teacher to give you an anthology if she hasn't already/if you already have one just practice analysing poems. Ask for past essay questions, do them and ask for feedback. Literally, for essay subjects- feedback can go miles. Practice integrating quotes, ask for model A* answers, look at what they've done well and try to write like them/develop your writing style. If you have a clever friend who always gets A*s ask them for copies of their work. Sit at the front in the lessons whenever possible (every lesson)
Similarly for language, the more you read the better you will be at essay writing. Also, the more you read the better you can write tbh. So honestly if you apply what I said about English lit to English Lang you should be OK. Oh and for English lit, make sure you include relevant context, but don't overdo it. I find it easy to just drop in the context whilst writing the intro of your essay and then it's done and out of the way. It's what I did all through GCSE and what I'm doing now at A level and it's always worked.

I think that's about it, If you have anymore qs just ask and I'll try to help😂 I did separate sciences so idk if it will apply. What do you do in your sciences?
Original post by chubb890
Core science
Additional science
English literature
English language
Maths
Economics
Art
Geography
French

V

Oh and also, if I were you I'd spend more time on what you are carrying on to A level and aim for A*s in those, because it will build a strong foundation and make it easier for you next year.

Quick Reply

Latest