The Student Room Group

David Cameron called 'racist' after accusing Sadiq Khan over links to IS supporter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheArtofProtest
It's unbecoming for the PM to use his parliamentary privilege to make unsubstantiated accusations and allegations about citizens of the UK, safe in the knowledge that he will not be hauled up before judges for defamation.

It is also unbecoming for the PM to use his office to deliver verbal personal attacks against the future Mayor of London, in an effort to help his own candidate secure the coveted position.

What's wrong with telling the truth? I hate Cameron but Sadiq Khan has shared platforms with terrorists/extremists on a regular basis, he has communicated with terrorists/extremists on a regular basis and even better he has defended terrorists/extremists when he was a lawyer.

The PM would never have said it if there wasn't substantial evidence which there is.

Sadiq Khan is a terror sympathiser

Sadiq Khan is an extremist sympathiser

End of discussion
Original post by KingBradly
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/david-cameron-called-racist-after-accusing-sadiq-khan-over-links/

A bit hypocritical of Cameron considering that we remain such strong allies with the KSA, but racist? It's racist to criticise someone for shmoozing with fascists?

He didn't 'shmooze fascists'. He was a human rights lawyer. It would be like berating a criminal lawyer for associating with criminals.
Bear in mind the person Cameron mentioned actually supported and campaigned for the Tories.
Original post by Youngmetro

Cameron knew that very well and still made these comments. If Sadiq Khan wasn't a non white, this wouldnt have happened but Cameron used the fact that he is brown to his own advantage.

Exactly! Its not like he accused any white people of being terrorist sympathizers.

Oh wait...
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Exactly! Its not like he accused any white people of being terrorist sympathizers.

Oh wait...

The incidence with Corbyn is irrelevant here
Original post by Youngmetro
The incidence with Corbyn is irrelevant here

Because it shows it had nothing to do with race?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Because it shows it had nothing to do with race?

Not racist per se (although probably partially because he's a brown person) but certainly Islamaphobic.'he's a Muslim so therefore he's an extremist'.
It makes me cringe how the word "racist" is just used in such a blase manner nowadays.
That's not a bloody racist thing to say. Islamophobic at worst.
Reply 27
Original post by Bornblue
Not racist per se (although probably partially because he's a brown person) but certainly Islamaphobic.'he's a Muslim so therefore he's an extremist'.

The accusation Cameron made was that he has had relations with extremists. Not that he is a Muslim so therefore he is an extremist.

And also, Islamophobia isn't even close to being the same thing as racism, so I don't even know how it comes into it. The reason racism sucks is because no matter what you do, there's nothing you can do about your race, and it has no affect on your character and says nothing of any substance about you. The ideologies you adhere to say a lot about you, and you can change your mind about them any time you like. If an ideology is really unpleasant, it's reasonable to question those that follow it. And given that Islam idolises (I mean Muslims literally do, even if they say don't; they consider him the perfect man) someone who was a murderer and a paedophile, I'd say it's pretty unpleasant.

So please don't equate Islamophobia with racism.
Reply 28
He didn't 'shmooze fascists'. He was a human rights lawyer. It would be like berating a criminal lawyer for associating with criminals.
Bear in mind the person Cameron mentioned actually supported and campaigned for the Tories.

I'm not saying he did shmooze with fascists, I'm saying that was the accusation that Cameron made. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's racist accusation.
The accusation Cameron made was that he has had relations with extremists. Not that he is a Muslim so therefore he is an extremist.

And also, Islamophobia isn't even close to being the same thing as racism, so I don't even know how it comes into it. The reason racism sucks is because no matter what you do, there's nothing you can do about your race, and it has no affect on your character and says nothing of any substance about you. The ideologies you adhere to say a lot about you, and you can change your mind about them any time you like. If an ideology is really unpleasant, it's reasonable to question those that follow it. And given that Islam idolises (I mean Muslims literally do, even if they say don't; they consider him the perfect man) someone who was a murderer and a paedophile, I'd say it's pretty unpleasant.

So please don't equate Islamophobia with racism.

You've equated anti-semtiism with racism before...
It's prejudiced because he's saying 'your a muslim therefore you are an extremist'.

Khan 'links' with extremists arise from his capacity as a human rights lawyer. Everyone has a right to legal representation. Khan has called Islamic extremism a 'cancer' and made hismelf hated by many for supporting gay marriage.
It's like berating a criminal barrister for representing criminals...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
You've equated anti-semtiism with racism before...

Khan 'links' with extremists arise from his capacity as a human rights lawyer. Everyone has a right to legal representation. Khan has called Islamic extremism a 'cancer' and made hismelf hated by many for supporting gay marriage.
It's like berating a criminal barrister for representing criminals...

Antisemitism is very similar to racism. Because antisemitism tends to be prejudice against people for being born of a particular lineage, regardless of what their actual beliefs are.

I'm not saying that Cameron was correct about his accusations. I'm just saying that I don't think they were racist.
Antisemitism is very similar to racism. Because antisemitism tends to be prejudice against people for being born of a particular lineage, regardless of what their actual beliefs are.

I'm not saying that Cameron was correct about his accusations. I'm just saying that I don't think they were racist.

No I'm not having that. You don't get to say people disliking Jews is racist but people disliking Muslims is not. Let's have the same standards please.
Talk about picking and choosing when it suits you.

If attacks on one group is racist then so too is the other.
Both Judaism and Islam are religions. Both derive from parents as a passéd down religion.

Muslims like Sadiq Khan are prejudiced by the likes of Cameron who accused him of extremism without taking note of his actual beliefs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
No I'm not having that. You don't get to say people disliking Jews is racist but people disliking Muslims is not. Let's have the same standards please.
Talk about picking and choosing when it suits you.

If attacks on one group is racist then so too is the other.
Both Judaism and Islam are religions. Both derive from parents as a passéd down religion.

Muslims like Sadiq Khan are prejudiced by the likes of Cameron who accused him of extremism without taking note of his actual beliefs.

What do you mean I "don't get to"? Of course I "get to", you don't have some kind of authority over what I say. I have never heard of Islamophobia towards people who have left Islam. I have heard plenty of antisemitism towards people who are only Jewish by lineage. Islamophobia is dislike of people for following Islam, not for their genes. Once a Muslim leaves Islam, they are no longer considered Muslims except in the tiny exception of Bosnia (unlike with Jews, who are still considered "ethnic Jews" regardless of their beliefs). Muslims are made up of masses of different races and being Muslim has nothing to do with your genetics. However, the vast majority of Jews are ethnic Jews from the Sephardi and Ashkenazi divisions, and the overwhelming majority of all Jews from all the Jewish ethnic divisions have genes that can be traced back to a common Israelite population. As such Jews are almost like a race, and regardless of what you think of that statement, the important thing is that antisemitism often targets them in this way. We all know the stereotypes of the Jews with big hook noses, beady eyes, and thick curly black hair. Those stereotypes are no different to racist depictions of blacks with big lips etc. You don't get "Islamophobic" pictures like that because there are no physical traits that define Muslims because they're not anything even close to being a racial group. There is probably a greater variation in the genes of all the major populations that follow Islam than there is in those that don't. Islamophobia targets Muslims for following Islam, full stop. Muslims can leave Islam and are no longer considered Muslims, and therefore won't be victims of Islamophobia. Jews can leave Judaism but will always be considered Jews simply for their genetics, and will still be subjected to the same antisemitic stereotypes. Any visual depictions of Muslims that you might consider "Islamophobic" are probably racist depictions of arabs or Pakistanis, but not Islamophobic.

Islamophobia and antisemitism can't be considered the same and therefore should not be given the "same standards". Antisemitism targets people for their genetics, and so is similar to racism, Islamophobia targets people for their beliefs. They are entirely different.
What do you mean I "don't get to"? Of course I "get to", you don't have some kind of authority over what I say. I have never heard of Islamophobia towards people who have left Islam. I have heard plenty of antisemitism towards people who are only Jewish by lineage. Islamophobia is dislike of people for following Islam, not for their genes. Once a Muslim leaves Islam, they are no longer considered Muslims except in the tiny exception of Bosnia (unlike with Jews, who are still considered "ethnic Jews" regardless of their beliefs). Muslims are made up of masses of different races and being Muslim has nothing to do with your genetics. However, the vast majority of Jews are ethnic Jews from the Sephardi and Ashkenazi divisions, and the overwhelming majority of all Jews from all the Jewish ethnic divisions have genes that can be traced back to a common Israelite population. As such Jews are almost like a race, and regardless of what you think of that statement, the important thing is that antisemitism often targets them in this way. We all know the stereotypes of the Jews with big hook noses, beady eyes, and thick curly black hair. Those stereotypes are no different to racist depictions of blacks with big lips etc. You don't get "Islamophobic" pictures like that because there are no physical traits that define Muslims because they're not anything even close to being a racial group. There is probably a greater variation in the genes of all the major populations that follow Islam than there is in those that don't. Islamophobia targets Muslims for following Islam, full stop. Muslims can leave Islam and are no longer considered Muslims, and therefore won't be victims of Islamophobia. Jews can leave Judaism but will always be considered Jews simply for their genetics, and will still be subjected to the same antisemitic stereotypes. Any visual depictions of Muslims that you might consider "Islamophobic" are probably racist depictions of arabs or Pakistanis, but not Islamophobic.

Islamophobia and antisemitism can't be considered the same and therefore should not be given the "same standards". Antisemitism targets people for their genetics, and so is similar to racism, Islamophobia targets people for their beliefs. They are entirely different.

They are not different.
Both Judaism and Islam are religions, both passed down by parents.
If disliking someone for being Jewish is akin to racism, then disliking someone for being Muslim is too.

Islampahobia is not just about beliefs, saying 'all Muslims are terrorists' is akin to racism just as saying 'all Jews are money grabbers is':

You're trying to split hairs that don't exist to justify prejudice against one group but not the other.

If one says 'all Muslims are terrorists' that's hating people for their lineage too. What about Muslim children who have no choice?
Jewish people are not a racial group at all. They are a religion. You have Jewish people of all different races.

When Serbia executed 8,000 Muslim men and boys in a targeted attack just for being Muslim, you're saying that's not akin to racism? You're saying that's okay?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Newsme
You do realise that being Jewish is passed down specifically from your mother, and being a muslim isn't you stupid moron?

Get this through your thick skull.

ISLAM IS NOT A RACE

ISLAMOPHOBIA IS NOT A REAL WORD

HIV is passed down from your mothe, does that make it a race?

Islam is passed down from your father. I'm not saying it's race, I'm saying if Being antisemitic is akin to racism, so too is being prejudiced against Muslims.

Let's have the same standards please. Judaism is not a race, it's a passed down religion, as is Islam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Defraction
Do you root for BMP??:wink:

What the hell is BMP?
Reply 36
Hiv is passed down from your mothe, does that make it a race?

1. That isn't 100% guaranteed. But being jewish by conception through a jewish woman is.
2. That's because HIV is a sexually transmitted disease and not a race, i'm not even sure how that first sentence made sense in your head.

Islam is passed down from your father. I'm not sharing it's race, I'm saying if Being antisemitic is akin to racism, so too is being prejudiced against Muslims.

Let's have the same standards please. Judaism is not a race, it's a passed down religion, as is Islam.

No one said it's a race, only YOU did.

But identifying yourself as a jew, whether you're a practicing orthodox jew, a Christian, a muslim or an atheist, is solely down you your mother being Jewish, not the religion you follow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Newsme
1. That isn't 100% guaranteed. But being jewish by conception through a jewish woman is.
2. That's because HIV is a sexually transmitted disease and not a race, i'm not even sure how that first sentence made sense in your head.

No one said it's a race, only YOU did.

But identifying yourself as a jew, whether you're a practicing orthodox jew, a Christian, a muslim or an atheist, is solely down you your mother being Jewish, not the religion you follow.

No Islam is passed down by a father.
It's only in Jewish law that your mother being Jewish makes you Jewish. Not anything objectively inherent like say being black. There's nothing inherently genetic about to, it's not a physical attribute or racial characteristic. It's a passed down religion.

Islam and Judaism are both religions passed down by parents, neither are races and being prejudiced against one is the equivalent of being prejudiced against another.
Freeeedom of speech.
Reply 39
No Islam is passed down by a father.
It's only in Jewish law that your mother being Jewish makes you Jewish. Not anything objectively inherent like say being black. There's nothing inherently genetic about to, it's not a physical attribute or racial characteristic. It's a passed down religion.

Jewish law, air-go, the law Jewish people abide, and have been following for over 5,000 years. And yes according to them, being conceived by a jewish woman means you're a jew, and have jewish a lineage, air-go, you're genetically jewish.

and Judaism are both religions passed down by parents, neither are races and being prejudiced against one is the equivalent of being prejudiced against another.

For the SECOND TIME, no one said that Judaism is a race, ONLY YOU DID.
The monotheistic religion, Judaism, which is practised by Jews and non jews (Whoopi goldberg) isn't a race, but identifying yourself as Jewish is. Muslims who get scrutinized because of their faith stop getting scrutinised when they convert and leave Islam, Jewish people can't stop being Jewish. If you can't distinguish between people practicing a religion and what being a Jew is, then we can't continue this argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending