The Student Room Group

David Cameron called 'racist' after accusing Sadiq Khan over links to IS supporter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Newsme
Jewish law, air-go, the law Jewish people abide, and have been following for over 5,000 years. And yes according to them, being conceived by a jewish woman means you're a jew, and have jewish a lineage, air-go, you're genetically jewish.

For the SECOND TIME, no one said that Judaism is a race, ONLY YOU DID.
The monotheistic religion, Judaism, which is practised by Jews and non jews (Whoopi goldberg) isn't a race, but identifying yourself as Jewish is. Muslims who get scrutinized because of their faith stop getting scrutinised when they convert and leave Islam, Jewish people can't stop being Jewish. If you can't distinguish between people practicing a religion and what being a Jew is, then we can't continue this argument.

No. Judaism isn't genetic because a religion cannot be.
Judaism is not objective, it is not something inherent or physicial or biological.

Just because the Jewish religion dictates that you are Jewish of your mother is, doesn't actually make it so. A religion does not get to determine how race and genetics work.
If I was to declare that I'm creating a religion and all my descendants would automatically be that religion, it doesn't make it so, there's nothing objective, it's all artificial.

I know what a Jew is, I'm one myself. It's a passed down religion. If I wanted I could leave the religion and I would no longer be Jewish. Jewish law doesn't get to override biology .

It's a religion, a religion passed down from your parents, just like Islam is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
No I'm not having that. You don't get to say people disliking Jews is racist but people disliking Muslims is not. Let's have the same standards please.
Talk about picking and choosing when it suits you.

If attacks on one group is racist then so too is the other.
Both Judaism and Islam are religions. Both derive from parents as a passéd down religion.

Muslims like Sadiq Khan are prejudiced by the likes of Cameron who accused him of extremism without taking note of his actual beliefs.

Reads like someone has 'Jew' envy

Just because the Jewish religion dictates that you are Jewish of your mother is, doesn't actually make it so.

Actually it does.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your envy though:biggrin:
Reply 43
No. Judaism isn't genetic because a religion cannot be.
Judaism is not objective, it is not something inherent or physicial or biological.

Just because the Jewish religion dictates that you are Jewish of your mother is, doesn't actually make it so. A religion does not get to determine how race and genetics work.

I know what a Jew is, I'm one myself. It's a passed down religion. If I wanted I could leave the religion and I would no longer be Jewish. Jewish law doesn't get to override biology .

It's a religion, a religion passed down from your parents, just like Islam is.

So the secular atheist Jews living in Europe right now aren't Jews?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3809043,00.html

The fact of the matter is, if you're a descendent of Hebrews, whether you practice Judaism or not doesn't change the fact that you're jewish. If you're born into a jewish family, then you're Jewish. Period.

And every Jew knows and understands this, so i honestly doubt that you are infact jewish, you're only saying that to lend your argument weight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
Reads like someone has 'Jew' envy

For a start I'm Jewish myself so enough with the pettiness.

All I'm saying is that being prejudiced against someone for being Jewish is equivalent to being prejudiced against someone because they are Muslim . In both instances the prejudice stems from the peeps religion.

Let's treat people the same rather than saying prejudiced attacks on one group is fine but not the other.
Original post by Newsme
So the secular atheist Jews living in Europe right now aren't Jews?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3809043,00.html

The fact of the matter is, if you're a descendent of Hebrews, whether you practice Judaism or not doesn't change the fact that you're jewish. If you're born into a jewish family, then you're Jewish. Period.

And every Jew knows and understands this, so i honestly doubt that you are infact a jewish, you're only saying that to lend your argument weight.

It depends entirely on whether they consider themselves Jews like it does with all religions.
No they're not the facts.
it's a religion, not a race and there is no generics to it.
Jewish law doesn't trump biology my friend.
Calling it genetic implies there is something biological to it, there is not.

It's a religion. A passed down religion but s religion nonetheless.
Reply 46
For a start I'm Jewish myself so enough with the pettiness.

All I'm saying is that being prejudiced against someone for being Jewish is equivalent to being prejudiced against someone because they are Muslim . In both instances the prejudice stems from the peeps religion.

Let's treat people the same rather than saying prejudiced attacks on one group is fine but not the other.

That isn't true.

Muslims can stop being muslims, Jews can't stop being Jewish.

This isn't Rocket science, how can't you understand this?
Original post by BaconandSauce
Actually it does.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your envy though:biggrin:

No it doesn't. Only according to Jewish law, not anything genetic.

If I make up a religion and declare all my descendants are automatically that religion as matter of genetics, it does not make it so.
Reply 48
It depends entirely on whether they consider themselves Jews like it does with all religions.
No they're not the facts.
it's a religion, not a race and there is no generics to it.
Jewish law doesn't trump biology my friend.
Calling it genetic implies there is something biological to it, there is not.

Yes there isn't any generics attached to it, but genetics yes.

I asked you a question.

A person born into a Jewish family, but doesn't practice Judaism is still considered a Jew by Rabbi, and the Jewish law, so why don't you consider them Jewish?

The number 1 Dictionary definition of a jew is

noun

1.one of a scattered group of people that traces its descent from the Biblical Hebrews or from post-exilic adherents of Judaism; Israelite.

2.a person whose religion is Judaism.

3.a subject of the ancient kingdom of Judah.
Original post by Newsme
That isn't true.

Muslims can stop being muslims, Jews can't stop being Jewish.

This isn't Rocket science, how can't you understand this?

Yes Jews can stop being Jews by converting or denouncing their religion. There is nothing genetic or biological about being Jewish, it's just your choice about whether to identify and be a part of a certain group.

There are plenty of Jews who have denounced their religion or converted.
Reply 50
Yes Jews can stop being Jews by converting or denouncing their religion. There is nothing genetic or biological about being Jewish, it's just your choice about whether to identify and be a part of a certain group.

There are plenty of Jews who have denounced their religion or converted.

Bloody hell

:facepalm:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newsme
Yes there isn't any generics attached to it, but genetics yes.

I asked you a question.

A person born into a Jewish family, but doesn't practice Judaism is still considered a Jew by Rabbi, and the Jewish law, so why don't you consider them Jewish?

The number 1 Dictionary definition of a jew is

noun

1.one of a scattered group of people that traces its descent from the Biblical Hebrews or from post-exilic adherents of Judaism; Israelite.

2.a person whose religion is Judaism.

3.a subject of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

Because proving an unbroken link back to the Israelites and biblical people for each Jewish person is nigh on impossible and artificial.

Judaism like all other religions is a religion and you are free to join and leave as you wish. Just because Jewish law regards you as always being Jewish doesn't make it so.

If catholocism said anyone with brown hair was automatically catholic forever would that make it so?
For the love of g-d, what the hell Judaic law has to do with any of this I'll never know, but since everyone here wants to know I'll explain. You have two types of Jews, Religious and Genetic. Now, in the context of the genetic Jews, there is not a Jewish "Race" per se, however, there are Jewish "Tribes" and each tribes have their own unique genes and such. These tribes are "Ashkenazi" (Eastern European) "Sephardi" (Spanish) and "Mizrahi" (Oriental). So yes you can be "Genetically" Jewish while not being of faith. And when people refer to genetic Judaism this is what they're referring to. This doesn't mean that all Jews are Genetic Jews though, as you do get Gentile converts.
Original post by Newsme
You can change the colour of your hair, but you can't change the mother than conceived you, you ignorant dunce

:facepalm:

But it's only Jewish according to Jewish law, it's nothing objective, inherent or genetic.

If catholocism said anyone born with brown hair would be a catholic forever irrespective if they changed it, would that make it so?

Of course not. A religious doctrine doesn't trump biology and genetics.
Reply 54
Original post by Xelfrost
For the love of g-d, what the hell Judaic law has to do with any of this I'll never know, but since everyone here wants to know I'll explain. You have two types of Jews, Religious and Genetic. Now, in the context of the genetic Jews, there is not a Jewish "Race" per se, however, there are Jewish "Tribes" and each tribes have their own unique genes and such. These tribes are "Ashkenazi" (Eastern European) "Sephardi" (Spanish) and "Mizrahi" (Oriental). So yes you can be "Genetically" Jewish while not being of faith. And when people refer to genetic Judaism this is what they're referring to. This doesn't mean that all Jews are Genetic Jews though, as you do get Gentile converts.

The worst part is that this Born blue bellend, actually claims to be Jewish, yet doesn't seem to know any of this.

Imagine lying about your lineage, just to give your argument strength, hahaha.

Pathetic and desperate.
Reply 55
But it's only Jewish according to Jewish law, it's nothing objective, inherent or genetic.

If catholocism said anyone born with brown hair would be a catholic forever irrespective if they changed it, would that make it so?

Of course not. A religious doctrine doesn't trump biology and genetics.

They couldn't say that because they aren't ignorant morons and they understand the fact that you can change your hair colour and not the mother who conceived you.
Original post by Newsme
The worst part is that this Born blue bellend, actually claims to be Jewish, yet doesn't seem to know any of this.

Imagine lying about your lineage, just to give your argument strength, hahaha.

Pathetic and desperate.

Except I am Jewish. I don't care if you think I'm not.

I'm allowed to challenge perceived 'wisdom'.

You are claiming that if you are born Jewish you are objectively Jewish forever whic is absurd. It's making out that Judaism is a race which it is not.

There is nothing genetic about being Jewish, it's a religion, that's all. Just becaus a theological doctrine says something it doesn't make it an objective truth.

According to you if I make my own religion and declare everyone born with blue eyes will forever be part of it, that would make it true.

Judaism and Islam are both religions, not races, not genetic and not biological.
Religions which you can choose to be a part of or not.

As others have stated, it's both. Judaism as a religion, and being Jewish by heritage are different things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews#Genetics

Racism is based on biological differences, whether perceived or real, between different ethnic groups. Jews are a (or possibly multiple) ethnic group. Antisemitism (in modernity anyway) is based almost entirely on the Jewish ethnicity and not the religion (hence prejudice against atheist jews), whereas islamaphobia is based entirely on their religion (hence prejudice against non-arab muslims). There is a very clear difference.

Going back to the thread topic a bit however, there is absolutely nothing to suggest Cameron made the association of muslim=extremist. He has called other non-muslims extremists for similar reasons (e.g Corbyn), and has not referred to many other muslims as extremist. Being muslim does not mean any accusation against you is instantly racist or because of your religion.
Original post by Newsme
They couldn't say that because they aren't ignorant morons and they understand the fact that you can change your hair colour and not the mother who conceived you.

Now you're splitting hairs. You can't change the colour of the hair you were born with.
So according to you if catholocism said eveyeone who is born with brown hair will always be a catholic, that would make it so.
Which is ludicrous.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
As others have stated, it's both. Judaism as a religion, and being Jewish by heritage are different things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews#Genetics

Racism is based on biological differences, whether perceived or real, between different ethnic groups. Jews are a (or possibly multiple) ethnic group. Antisemitism (in modernity anyway) is based almost entirely on the Jewish ethnicity and not the religion (hence prejudice against atheist jews), whereas islamaphobia is based entirely on their religion (hence prejudice against non-arab muslims). There is a very clear difference.

Going back to the thread topic a bit however, there is absolutely nothing to suggest Cameron made the association of muslim=extremist. He has called other non-muslims extremists for similar reasons (e.g Corbyn), and has not referred to many other muslims as extremist. Being muslim does not mean any accusation against you is instantly racist or because of your religion.

It's an artificial distinction.
When Muslims are killed like they were in Yugoslavia for being ethnically Muslim is that not akin to a racist attack?
When Muslims are targeted and persecuted in India just for being Muslim is that not akin to a racist attack?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending