The Student Room Group

Petition to teach a sexist movement in schools

https://www.change.org/p/nicky-morgan-mp-help-take-another-step-towards-equality-introduce-3-hours-of-feminist-education-annually

I'm not opposed to creating something about equality but what are they going to do in these lessons discuss ways to kill all men?

If you are going to have these types of lessons then you will also need to have lessons about MRA's and egalitarian and other movements just like re.

Scroll to see replies

Also...

"important gender equality changes such as the removal of tampon tax and getting a female other than the queen on bank notes"

Do they not use £5 notes??? These really aren't the most important things?

But the idea of teaching about feminism is really cool, because then it would be taught properly, with an understanding that it's not about hating men or wanting to be better than men, but equality, which is so lost in translation.
Reply 2
Original post by LostInPanda
Also...

"important gender equality changes such as the removal of tampon tax and getting a female other than the queen on bank notes"

But the idea of teaching about feminism is really cool, because then it would be taught properly, with an understanding that it's not about hating men or wanting to be better than men, but equality, which is so lost in translation.

So it is egalitarian?
I'm not going to say we live in a truly equal society because we don't but that works both ways and the only time I see feminism talking about men's issues is to use it to blame men.
Original post by joecphillips
So it is egalitarian?
I'm not going to say we live in a truly equal society because we don't but that works both ways and the only time I see feminism talking about men's issues is to use it to blame men.

Feminism is Egalitarianism under a different name. I think it was just called feminism first because women were so oppressed and needed it for their own empowerment. Now it covers all gender issues - female empowerment, yes, but also the problem of men being less likely to get child custody, even though they might be the better parent, and the stigma surrounding male rape victims. Some feminists give it a bad rep and, unfortunately, their voices are the loudest.
https://www.change.org/p/nicky-morgan-mp-help-take-another-step-towards-equality-introduce-3-hours-of-feminist-education-annually

I'm not opposed to creating something about equality but what are they going to do in these lessons discuss ways to kill all men?

If you are going to have these types of lessons then you will also need to have lessons about MRA's and egalitarian and other movements just like re.

Signed.

I totally agree that there needs to be more education about what feminism actually wants to achieve. For too long it has received a bad rap for being misandrist
Also...

The woman on the £5 is ugly as sin and therefore invisible to feminists, who are mostly posturing, sociopolitically naive young women.

Teaching about feminism, particularly in the mode that the impressionable 15-year-old feminist writer of the petition seems to espouse, is likely to lead to more man-hating, not less.

That silent majority of sensible young women, and men, who come to believe in true equality of opportunity (and who erroneously describe themselves as "feminists") reach those conclusions through the simple, introspective application of common sense and liberal individualist principles.

The last thing these normal people need is to take dictation out of the Little Pink Book in order to be indoctrinated into identifying with the ersatz identitarian feminism of the political establishment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Feminism is Egalitarianism under a different name. I think it was just called feminism first because women were so oppressed and needed it for their own empowerment. Now it covers all gender issues - female empowerment, yes, but also the problem of men being less likely to get child custody, even though they might be the better parent, and the stigma surrounding male rape victims. Some feminists give it a bad rep and, unfortunately, their voices are the loudest.

Would you agree that now there seems to be 2 different types of feminism?
Unfortunately these days i think the missandrist feminists have the largest voice and to me while that is happening this idea would be a bad thing
So it is egalitarian?

So you think an entire movement can be represented and understood by your limited experience of it? There are many women campaigning for men's issues.

Besides, it's ridiculous that as soon as women start saying to men:
"I want to be paid the same as you for the same work"
"I want to have the same opportunities as you"
"I want to end violence against women"
"I want justice for rape victims"

...that we are shut up by people trashing the name of our movement, misrepresenting us or dismissing us as 'extreme feminazis'.
Reply 8
Original post by nverjvlev
So you think an entire movement can be represented and understood by your limited experience of it? There are many women campaigning for men's issues.

Besides, it's ridiculous that as soon as women start saying to men:
"I want to be paid the same as you for the same work"
"I want to have the same opportunities as you"
"I want to end violence against women"
"I want justice for rape victims"

...that we are shut up by people trashing the name of our movement, misrepresenting us or dismissing us as 'extreme feminazis'.

There is equal pay it is just women work less hours, take more holidays and go into lower paying fields as well as taking degrees like gender studies.

Well take less holidays and work more hours as well as study better degrees.

Personally I want to end violence against everyone but if you just care about ending it against women ok.

I want justice for rape victims and the idea believe all women is not going to help that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unfortunately these days i think the missandrist feminists have the largest voice and to me while that is happening this idea would be a bad thing

I'm sorry but 'misandrist feminist' is a complete contradiction, feminism is about ending the oppression of all people with regards to their sex whether it is violence against transgender individuals, women being paid less than men for the same work or male victims of domestic violence being refused help.

You cannot form your opinion of a movement like this by looking to the few people who are getting it wrong and misrepresenting it. I'm really sorry that you haven't heard of all the women campaigning for men's rights or all the men campaigning for women's rights, this doesn't however mean that they don't exist.
Reply 10
I'm sorry but 'misandrist feminist' is a complete contradiction, feminism is about ending the oppression of all people with regards to their sex whether it is violence against transgender individuals, women being paid less than men for the same work or male victims of domestic violence being refused help.

You cannot form your opinion of a movement like this by looking to the few people who are getting it wrong and misrepresenting it. I'm really sorry that you haven't heard of all the women campaigning for men's rights or all the men campaigning for women's rights, this doesn't however mean that they don't exist.

No it is a movement for women if it was not then why does it only mention women's rights in the actual definition? Or you could look past the definition into its recent actions and judge it.

I have said that it seems there are 2 types of feminism and the type you describe is losing, they are getting deplatformed and told they are not true feminists people like Christina Hoff Sommers
There is equal pay it is just women work less hours, take more holidays and go into lower paying fields as well as taking degrees like gender studies.

Well take less holidays and work more hours as well as study better degrees.

Personally I want to end violence against everyone but if you just care about ending it against women ok.

I want justice for rape victims and the idea believe all women is not going to help that.

Could you state your sources please? You're really saying that women not earning as much as men in western society has nothing to do with the glass ceiling, gender discrimination or a lack of maternity pay in countries like the US? Even if we do have complete equality in developed countries, this isn't reflected globally - you say that men work harder than women however women work 2/3 of the world's hours yet earn 1/10 of the world's income. And on top of this, women work considerably more hours of unpaid work than men. There is no way in the light of these statistics that you can say women receive less pay because they don't deserve it and don't work hard enough.

Maybe instead of blaming the gender pay gap on our degress choices you should ask yourself why women are so reluctant to persue STEM subjects? Why are 95% of world leaders men? I highly doubt that it's because women lack political ambition, it's simply not an option for them.

Yes, I agree all violence should end, however I'm specifically talking about violence against women which is the direct result of misogyny. Women are getting murdered just because they are women. How is this okay?

I'm sorry but I can't reply to your last comment because it makes no grammatical sense.

From my sociology lessons I think there's more than two types. The missandrist feminists are coined radical feminists and think the roles of women and men should be reversed... But I agree that they're the loudest, like most angry groups of people.
But I think teaching it in school would educate people about what it actually is and, hopefully, limit the radical ones in the future

Mainstream feminism isn't. If it was, no one would be disputing against this. And I'm a woman.
Reply 14
Could you state your sources please? You're really saying that women not earning as much as men in western society has nothing to do with the glass ceiling, gender discrimination or a lack of maternity pay in countries like the US? Even if we do have complete equality in developed countries, this isn't reflected globally - you say that men work harder than women however women work 2/3 of the world's hours yet earn 1/10 of the world's income. And on top of this, women work considerably more hours of unpaid work than men. There is no way in the light of these statistics that you can say women receive less pay because they don't deserve it and don't work hard enough.

Maybe instead of blaming the gender pay gap on our degress choices you should ask yourself why women are so reluctant to persue STEM subjects? Why are 95% of world leaders men? I highly doubt that it's because women lack political ambition, it's simply not an option for them.

Yes, I agree all violence should end, however I'm specifically talking about violence against women which is the direct result of misogyny. Women are getting murdered just because they are women. How is this okay?

I'm sorry but I can't reply to your last comment because it makes no grammatical sense.

I have said before that in some countries feminism like the first wave and parts of second wave are needed. How come people never see feminists standing up for these countries?

My main source is the American enterprise institute.

I'm not blaming them for their choices I am accepting they want to take them and I am fine with it as long as they realise that it comes with a lower earning potential.
You seem to think that women can't decide something for themselves do they not have the capacity to think and act for themselves?

Even the ons admits men work longer hours and more overtime and this will factor into promotion chances.

Well in some countries I have admitted that there is a problem in this country you would have to ask why the population are voting how they are.
Would you like to comment on how all women shortlists in politics is not discriminatory.

Do you want to talk about how men suffer more from violent crime? How about the ignored 40% of victims of domestic violence who have very limited options and even if they escape have a higher chance at losing their children?

If you listen and believe everyone then a rape conviction would be a joke that women would abuse
I actually don't mind this. I think it's a pretty good idea but on the grounds that the lessons are gender neutral.
No constant male shaming or because of men women this or women that. It needs to be gender neutral looking at both aspects. Even just by reading the description of the petition, I saw how the user mainly mentioned women's issues and problems. I don't know, great idea but a lot needs to drastically change.
Reply 16
From my sociology lessons I think there's more than two types. The missandrist feminists are coined radical feminists and think the roles of women and men should be reversed... But I agree that they're the loudest, like most angry groups of people.
But I think teaching it in school would educate people about what it actually is and, hopefully, limit the radical ones in the future

The 2 group idea was probably the wrong way to put it but I would say that is the first way to start to differentiate between the different groups.

I can see your point but I think that is where the problem starts in education and I don't think giving them a larger audience is a good thing.
Original post by scrotgrot
The woman on the £5 is ugly as sin and therefore invisible to feminists, who are mostly posturing, sociopolitically naive young women.

Teaching about feminism, particularly in the mode that the impressionable 15-year-old feminist writer of the petition seems to espouse, is likely to lead to more man-hating, not less.

That silent majority of sensible young women, and men, who come to believe in true equality of opportunity (and who erroneously describe themselves as "feminists":wink: reach those conclusions through the simple, introspective application of common sense and liberal individualist principles.

The last thing these normal people need is to take dictation out of the Little Pink Book in order to be indoctrinated into identifying with the ersatz identitarian feminism of the political establishment.

I agree that the way of teaching feminism as described the 15 year old leader might not be the best method. But she won't decided how the beliefs of feminism would be taught, the schools themselves would, and, just as they've handled the teaching of sex ed and abuse and mental health, I trust they would handle this in the same balanced manner.

I definitely don't agree that feminist ideas come or should come from common sense, because of the sheer number of people who do not have or use their common sense, or have a different version of it. That's how missandrists came about in the first place, because, since men had been on top for so long, it made sense for women to take a turn in their place. Some people would come to a sensible conclusion on their own, yes, but a level playing field at least means the chances of both misogyny and misandry are limited.
Well, it's a change from all the stuff that gets reiterated in PSHE every year: bullying, smoking, healthy eating, contraception.... It's time for a bit more variety.
I think education like this is important so people like you can learn that feminism is an egalitarian movement and not the misandrist one you believe it to be. However, I agree that if you're going to teach feminism, you have to teach other equality movements as well, e.g. LGBT rights, the rights of ethnic minorities. Maybe these issues should be incorporated into the already compulsory PSHE education. (I think PSHE is compulsory??? If not I agree that it should be).

Quick Reply

Latest