The Student Room Group

scared

got a tonsillectomy coming up, minor operation I know but I am scared (more of anesthesia than the op itself) anyone whose had it done here?

Bonus question: The weight lost wont be fat as i'm not overweight and wont be lifting, will it? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oilfreak1
got a tonsillectomy coming up, minor operation I know but I am scared (more of anesthesia than the op itself) anyone whose had it done here?

Had it done a few years ago. Nothing to be scared of. It's a relatively short operation and you'll be told to eats lots of cold foods as it helps numb the soreness. I lost a lot of weight so was super happy with the outcome! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aceadria
Had it done a few years ago. Nothing to be scared of. It's a relatively short operation and you'll be told to eats lots of cold foods as it helps numb the soreness. I lost a lot of weight so was super happy with the outcome! :smile:

weight loss could be a down side for me depending on what type of weight I lose lol. Regards to post op care, my younger sister has exams and we're a working family so i'll be left alone, will this make recovery significantly harder?
Original post by Oilfreak1
Regards to post op care, my younger sister has exams and we're a working family so i'll be left alone, will this make recovery significantly harder?

I didn't find it difficult at all. I was living at home at the time, so my Mother always made sure there was enough food in the house (mostly ready-made soups). I also lived in a working household with all members of my family either in education or at work. Make sure you relax and sleep loads (I was prescribed sleeping pills for the first week).

It honestly is a very simple procedure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aceadria
I didn't find it difficult at all. I was living at home at the time, so my Mother always made sure there was enough food in the house (mostly ready-made soups). I also lived in a working household with all members of my family either in education or at work. Make sure you relax and sleep loads (I was prescribed sleeping pills for the first week).

Yeah i'm just worried about the post-op bleeding but can ask my family to take shifts of caring for me I guess :smile:

anesthesia/sleeping pills are 2 things I really, really feel uneasy about lol less so than the operation itself, hopefully I don't need pills.

was there any puking after the operation? or is it just unbearable pain for 2 weeks?

Also whats the nature of the pain? Was it constant or just when you swallowed, any tips for pain management?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending