The Student Room Group

Cash out for £72k or see it through for £250k?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I'm surprised at the number of people saying cash out here. I think its a near certainty that Leicester will win the league.

If I set up an escrow will you give me 6-1 on that?
Reply 61
You only cash out if you think the current odds on Leicester are too short and there's value on the other side. Cashing out is just a counter bet, i.e betting on Leicester not to win the League at this point.
Original post by mscapp
You only cash out if you think the current odds on Leicester are too short and there's value on the other side. Cashing out is just a counter bet, i.e betting on Leicester not to win the League at this point.

Not strictly true, diminishing marginal utility of wealth yo
Reply 63
I'd cash out, since Tottenham seem to be getting closer and closer, 72k is still a LOT of money xD
Reply 64
Original post by Onde
Based on the current situation, I would cash out.

But they only need 4 points to win the league? If they can beat Swansea this weekend then it's near enough there for the taking.

I've thought about this and I'd have to see it through. It was a punt in the dark to put Leicester to win the league anyway, you didn't think it would happen and now it's happening! Bring on £250k!
Original post by Pickles
But they only need 4 points to win the league? If they can beat Swansea this weekend then it's near enough there for the taking.

I've thought about this and I'd have to see it through. It was a punt in the dark to put Leicester to win the league anyway, you didn't think it would happen and now it's happening! Bring on £250k!

Did you actually put the £50 on!?
Reply 66
Original post by mobbsy91
Did you actually put the £50 on!?

Hmmm....

Spoiler

Reply 67
Stay in for the sake of losing 50 quid.
Original post by Pickles

They need 8 points from 4 games to guarantee that they win the league from this position. They have a 5 point lead over Spurs but due to Spurs having a better goal difference, it's effectively 4 points they can afford to drop.

Swansea they should be looking to win but after that Leicester face Man Utd (A), Everton (H) and Chelsea (A) which isn't easy.
Original post by Pickles
Hmmm....

Spoiler

Damn! That would've be so damn cool!
Damn! That would've be so damn cool!

At the start of the season, 47 people placed a bet with Ladbrokes for Leicester to win the title at 5000-1 - of which 23 have cashed out, while 24 are still awaiting their fate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36105265
Original post by Zerforax
At the start of the season, 47 people placed a bet with Ladbrokes for Leicester to win the title at 5000-1 - of which 23 have cashed out, while 24 are still awaiting their fate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36105265

Don't you just wish you were one of them :biggrin: (unless you are... xD)
Don't you just wish you were one of them :biggrin: (unless you are... xD)

I'd imagine most of them are bets for a few quid.

Who doesn't love a bit of free cash? Don't think I would have ever placed that bet though.
Original post by Zerforax
I'd imagine most of them are bets for a few quid.

Who doesn't love a bit of free cash? Don't think I would have ever placed that bet though.

Yeh, sooooo annoying haha! Always will be things you look back on and think, yeh I should've done that...
I'd cash the **** out and sigh with relief all the way to the bank.
Reply 75
Most would cash out, as you started with virtually nothing and have the option to certainly procure a large sum of money.

However many would go mad when Leicester won the league, thinking about what they "could've" had.
Reply 76
Original post by Onde
Statistically, I would have seen it through for the 250k (at the time of the OP). But I would not risk losing a sure £72k for my pension fund in such cirumstances. I believe the appreciation on £72k over 40 years or so will be greater than the 178k I would "lose".

If I needed 250k immediately however, or if the prospect of a sure 78k gave me a "meh" feeling, I might have stuck with it.

Definitely wouldn't cash out now after last nights result?
I wonder if any team will have odds as long as 5000/1 again next year after what's happened this season.
Original post by scriggy
I wonder if any team will have odds as long as 5000/1 again next year after what's happened this season.

I think the bookies have taken too much of a hit (reported to be £10mil for the lot of them) and too many people will be taking a punt next season after this year.

I'd be surprised if we see any with odds as long as even 1000/1.
yeah the market will skew it next year but in upcoming years it'll return to normalcy. 5000-1 still almost certainly gives an edge to the bookie IMO

Quick Reply