The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
Well....... to be fair, "feudal, backward and corrupt" can also apply to India as well (I'm of Indian origin btw)
But I think the difference would probably be the magnitude of those issues and how willing civil society is to act on those problems.
For example; India, despite being a much larger country, with a much larger population still is considered to be less corrupt than Pakistan (by Transparency International).

I agree! The UK is far better than both countries with respect to the stability of its democracy, its lack of corruption, the independence of its judiciary and general social development. We were feudal once, too! I am not saying India is perfect, far from it.

But India will supplant the UK this century in economic terms and as a global power. I can't see Pakistan ever doing that.
Reply 81
Pakistan
Reply 82
Original post by JezWeCan!
I haven't got a dog in this fight. India and Pakistan are just two foreign countries to me.

But the OP asks which is the better country and why? India is a far bigger economy and the difference is getting larger every day as it powers ahead, while Pakistan stagnates.

India has a stable democracy and a reasonably independent judiciary. Pakistan doesn't by comparison.

India has ethnic tensions, it is true. But Pakistan is in the grip of an Islamist insurgency encouraged by its own intelligence service.

For goodness sake Osama Bin Laden chose to hole up in Pakistan! Do you think no-one in that country knew??

Saying these things is not "hating" on a country it is just dispassionately stating facts.

And if these aren't facts, it what I say isn't true, provide some evidence.

I am not from pakistan but i am very confused on Osama bin laden found in pakistan. I just cant see that it is true entirely...but idk its soooo confusing.
Original post by h333
I am not from pakistan but i am very confused on Osama bin laden found in pakistan. I just cant see that it is true entirely...but idk its soooo confusing.

Don't worry, I'm sure it was some RAW + Mossad + CIA + MI5 + MI6 + Interpol conspiracy to frame the innocent Pakistani ISI for supporting worldwide terror.

:toofunny:
Reply 84
Original post by IndianMuslim
Don't worry, I'm sure it was some RAW + Mossad + CIA + MI5 + MI6 + Interpol conspiracy to frame the innocent Pakistani ISI for supporting worldwide terror.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:rofl:
Reply 85
There consists a rich beautiful culture derived from pre-colonial times in both countries and Northern Indian and Pakistani culture is very similar. India has other rich cultures derived from the southern states and a lot more religious freedom making it more diverse.

The government in Pakistan is terrible compared to India though, dragging that country backwards whereas whilst the Indian government is not perfect it is moving slowly forward.

Both countries are inferior to the UK though, a lot of poverty and much less pc, but you could argue that was caused by colonisation.
I'm going to go with India, purely on bias. India has done more to aid my country and Pakistan seems a bit iffy at times.
Reply 87

You misunderstood me. I am being honest. Like I really need good evidence to believe it. Hence for now im like neutral. I am not saying pakistani government is good, i think it is corrupt somehow. Allah knows best.

On serious note where the hell did they put the body? I heard the sea or ocean wth idk.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's depends on persons taste. But I like India because it's really bigger one.
Pakistan, Fawad Khan, My name is Yousuf. lololol i joke
Just trying to lighten the mood both countries are beautiful in their own right.
Original post by JezWeCan!
I haven't got a dog in this fight. India and Pakistan are just two foreign countries to me.

But the OP asks which is the better country and why? India is a far bigger economy and the difference is getting larger every day as it powers ahead, while Pakistan stagnates.

India has a stable democracy and a reasonably independent judiciary. Pakistan doesn't by comparison.

India has ethnic tensions, it is true. But Pakistan is in the grip of an Islamist insurgency encouraged by its own intelligence service.

For goodness sake Osama Bin Laden chose to hole up in Pakistan! Do you think no-one in that country knew??

Saying these things is not "hating" on a country it is just dispassionately stating facts.

And if these aren't facts, it what I say isn't true, provide some evidence.

Wtf? did I say you were disrespecting Pakistan? NO! But I was referring to those who were. The post of mine which you quoted is supportive of the view that by all mean support India but don't disrespect Pakistan. Know that I never said that to you!

GOODNESS GRACIOUS LORD, HAVE MERCY!
Pakistan should be India.

So India.

EDIT:
And this,
Original post by Ohtereeitsfarah
Just trying to lighten the mood both countries are beautiful in their own right.
One such difference that hasn't been mentioned is that India has a billion-dollar industry: Bollywood. That doesn't necessarily make India better than Pakistan but it makes a difference to the economies.
India because of the incredible amount of diversity.

Isolated incidents that have been blown out of proportion. I've lived in India btw.

So? The underlying issue is still there with or without the lynchings. India can't call it's self a secular nation if it doesn't address the issue. True you probably know more about the issue than I do as you have lived in India so correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not the Prime Ministers own party, the BJP, pushing for the ban on beef?

And I'm not saying Pakistan is any better btw, I will readily admit it is worse.
Original post by Zain-A
So? The underlying issue is still there with or without the lynchings. India can't call it's self a secular nation if it doesn't address the issue. True you probably know more about the issue than I do as you have lived in India so correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not the Prime Ministers own party, the BJP, pushing for the ban on beef?

And I'm not saying Pakistan is any better btw, I will readily admit it is worse.

India can't call itself a secular nation full stop EVEN if there was never any restriction on the slaughter of cows and consumption of beef.
A nation which continues to have different personal laws for different religious communities rather than a Uniform Civil Code (one law for every citizen regardless of religion), can it be called a secular nation?
No truly secular nation would have, for example, personal laws that allow a Muslim man to marry up to 4 wives but not for men of other religions, forget about women (which btw is in direct contradiction to the principles of equality in the Constitution). It would not pay subsidies for religious pilgrimages (the most infamous is actually the Hajj subsidy which thousands of Muslims use every year).

Regarding ban on beef, India has a quasi-federal structure which means individual states themselves only (rather than the central govt. under Modi) have the authority to formulate and enforce their own laws.
Interestingly, literally all those states which ban the slaughter of cows had those laws formulated and implemented when those states were ruled by the Congress Party (opposition party to Modi and BJP).
In some states, those laws banning/restricting the slaughter of cows were made before the BJP was even born in 1980.
(edited 8 years ago)
Even though India is more powerful and strong. Pakistan is good by heart . I'm not going to judge it by how powerful it is .I'm going to judge it by its heart and actions .
India can't call itself a secular nation full stop EVEN if there was never any restriction on the slaughter of cows and consumption of beef.
A nation which continues to have different personal laws for different religious communities rather than a Uniform Civil Code (one law for every citizen regardless of religion), can it be called a secular nation?
No truly secular nation would have, for example, personal laws that allow a Muslim man to marry up to 4 wives but not for men of other religions, forget about women (which btw is in direct contradiction to the principles of equality in the Constitution). It would not pay subsidies for religious pilgrimages (the most infamous is actually the Hajj subsidy which thousands of Muslims use every year).

Regarding ban on beef, India has a quasi-federal structure which means individual states themselves only (rather than the central govt. under Modi) have the authority to formulate and enforce their own laws.
Interestingly, literally all those states which ban the slaughter of cows had those laws formulated and implemented when those states were ruled by the Congress Party (opposition party to Modi and BJP).
In some states, those laws banning/restricting the slaughter of cows were made before the BJP was even born in 1980.

Are you a Muslim and do you support the BJP?
Why, just why :ashamed: :nothing:

I would say the best country is...

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
India because India didn't try to kill 3 million Bangladeshis

Latest