The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Question HELP NEEDED !!

Help!

Which of the following compounds has the greatest ionic character?
A) Caesium fluoride
B) Caesium iodide
C) Potassium fluoride
D) Potassium iodide

Say me the answer with a brief explanation :smile:
C - Smallest ions = closer attraction = more covalent
Reply 2
Original post by chemistrybro
C - Smallest ions = closer attraction = more covalent

You are WRONG !!
It asks for the GREATEST IONIC character and the MARK SCHEME answer is A....and i found out why :smile:
Because it has the greatest difference in electronegativity :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NNB_Herath
You are WRONG !!
It asks for the GREATEST IONIC character and the MARK SCHEME answer is A....and i found out why :smile:
Because it has the greatest difference in electronegativity :smile:

I think the mark scheme is wrong
Reply 4

Are you mad idiot............
You are wrong...........
i do not want your help noob.........
See...first learn to read the question ....this was from 2015 June IAL EDEXCEL Unit 1 Paper...
Then if it is their mistake, report them,,, but i see NO MISTAKE because i found the answer.....
first you learn chemistry,,,,then talk
Reply 5
You are wrong...........
See...first learn to read the question ....this was from 2015 June IAL EDEXCEL Unit 1 Paper...
Then if it is their mistake, report them,,, but i see NO MISTAKE because i found the answer.....

He says asking a basic chemistry question..
Reply 6

It is A.
Remember, big difference is ionic, small is covalent.
Reply 7
You are wrong...........

What is your problem, you ask for help then don't want it?? Someone tries to help and you shut them down. His answer seemed perfectly normal and many would have said the same thing.

Plus if you knew the answer, you wouldn't be on here asking others, so you're just as bad and you need to take your own advice and "learn chemistry"

Idiot.
Reply 8
Original post by GOKU27
He says asking a basic chemistry question..

LOOOOOL
Help!

Which of the following compounds has the greatest ionic character?
A) Caesium fluoride
B) Caesium iodide
C) Potassium fluoride
D) Potassium iodide

Say me the answer with a brief explanation :smile:

I guess it is Caesium Fluoride, going by Fajans' laws.
Caesium forms a relatively huge cation compared to other elements, due to the periodic properties of atomic radii, and Caesium is the most electropositive element, drastically reducing the covalency of its compounds. Let's not consider Francium because it is radioactive.
Similarly, Fluorine forms the smallest anion in the excited state, and is the most electronegative element in the periodic table, so it further reduces the covalency of the compound by a lot. Caesium and Fluorine react readily, with Caesium donating one electron to Fluorine forming an extremely ionic compound. Every ionic compound, though, still has some covalency, and similarly, every covalent compound still has some ionic character. By the way, Caesium Fluoride is highly unstable and hygroscopic, and is highly soluble in water.

Quick Reply

Latest