The Student Room Group

If you ever have lost a friend...

I know the pain. My friend died when I was three (young I know to have friends but I remember her so well)

When I was five, my close friend moved to Australia and when she came back aged fourteen, I didn't even recognise her when she came to my school. We stopped talking.

My best friend left me at age seven to move to London and I found out after the summer holidays.

My best friend left me when I was thirteen to go to another school (haven't seen him for five years but we speak sometimes on Facebook)

My best friend died when I was sixteen, nearly two years ago. Still haunts me to this day.

I'm here if you need me. :lovie2::console:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I had a friend in India who killed herself, she was 14 and I was 11 so my parents didn't tell me for awhile. I remember her though, she had really pretty eyes and she was so lovely. Her family were quite poor and her mum left so she was the only one running the house, her father was a drunk...

But I remember once when my mum did my hair and she put lots of little clips (claire's accessories lol) in my hair and my friend said something like "You don't know how lucky you are, you'll probably take them out of your hair at night and leave them laying around somewhere and lose most of them. You're a very lucky girl!"And she was right because I never would have thought of hair clips as any luxury,I probably did lose most of them, but to her it was something to be treasured.

I think that was a really defining moment, I realised how lucky I really was and how much I should appreciate everything that I have.
Reply 2
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I had a friend in India who killed herself, she was 14 and I was 11 so my parents didn't tell me for awhile. I remember her though, she had really pretty eyes and she was so lovely. Her family were quite poor and her mum left so she was the only one running the house, her father was a drunk...

But I remember once when my mum did my hair and she put lots of little clips (claire's accessories lol) in my hair and my friend said something like "You don't know how lucky you are, you'll probably take them out of your hair at night and leave them laying around somewhere and lose most of them. You're a very lucky girl!"And she was right because I never would have thought of hair clips as any luxury,I probably did lose most of them, but to her it was something to be treasured.

I think that was a really defining moment, I realised how lucky I really was and how much I should appreciate everything that I have.

Aw, that is really sad. I feel for you, we never realise how lucky we are/were until we lose it all. We take it for granted and I am grateful for everything I have.
Original post by Rhythmical
Aw, that is really sad. I feel for you, we never realise how lucky we are/were until we lose it all. We take it for granted and I am grateful for everything I have.

I think we don't even realise it most of the time, like we go by living life because it's normal to us but then you meet people with a completely different life experience and it sort of shakes you into realising you should appreciate life more.
Reply 4
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think we don't even realise it most of the time, like we go by living life because it's normal to us but then you meet people with a completely different life experience and it sort of shakes you into realising you should appreciate life more.

I know. That's how me and my best friend (who died) connected. We were different and I used to loathe her but before her death, she became so important to me and when she passed away, I felt the pain so much.
Once had a friend that got annoyed for saying hi after maybe...a month or so (ie: they didn't like the frequency apparently)
Me being me, I often say hey how are you and then ask sumat else
Any how, I was really down at that time, and wanted to ask em for some advice, and then they said they didn't want to be friends any more, without actually giving a reason..
I judged them to be a good friend, they said they were "never a good friend" Any how, that kinda hurt because I was REALLLY down at that time, and I kinda trusted em, and tbf trust to me, means a lot (THough I didn't tell em that I was really feeling really low, because trust kinda shattered)

Had another friend, whereby they just sorta..disappeared :frown: As in, I've not heard from em in a very long time
(edited 8 years ago)
There was this girl in my primary school who I was sort of-ish friends with, but we both ended up in the same sixth form.
We were amazing friends in sixth form... probably one of the loveliest friends I ever had and she was so beautiful! I adored her.
She just made me feel so good about myself and she often used to tell other people how amazing I was...People actually used to come up to me and say "___ told me that you are such a good friend to her" She was so lovely.
But then she left last year to live in Australia because her Dad worked there and even today I can't just stop thinking about it, I feel hurt that I won't be able to ever see her again.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Internet
Once had a friend that got annoyed for saying hi after maybe...a month or so (ie: they didn't like the frequency apparently)
Me being me, I often say hey how are you and then ask sumat else
Any how, I was really down at that time, and wanted to ask em for some advice, and then they said they didn't want to be friends any more, without actually giving a reason..
I judged them to be a good friend, they said they were "never a good friend" Any how, that kinda hurt because I was REALLLY down at that time, and I kinda trusted em, and tbf trust to me, means a lot

Had another friend, whereby they just sorta..disappeared :frown: As in, I've not heard from em in a very long time

When friends leave or stop talking for no reason, it hurts so much. Happens to me a lot but I just want to go to university and make friends. It's so sad.

Original post by loveleest
There was this girl in my primary school who I was sort of-ish friends with, but we both ended up in the same sixth form.
We were amazing friends in sixth form... probably one of the loveliest friends I ever had and she was so beautiful! I adored her.
She just made me feel so good about myself and she often used to tell other people how amazing I was...People actually used to come up to me and say "___ told me that you are such a good friend to her" She was so lovely.
But then she left last year to live in Australia because her Dad worked there and even today I can't just stop thinking about it, I feel hurt that I won't be able to ever see her again.

Damn, that is sad. Sometimes I remember my old friends and the pain just hurts, it never goes away.
When friends leave or stop talking for no reason, it hurts so much. Happens to me a lot but I just want to go to university and make friends. It's so sad.

Damn, that is sad. Sometimes I remember my old friends and the pain just hurts, it never goes away.

:frown: It was so sad because at the time, she didn't tell anyone that she was moving away. But she did give me subtle hints that she was moving but I didn't pick up on it.
Reply 9
Original post by loveleest
:frown: It was so sad because at the time, she didn't tell anyone that she was moving away. But she did give me subtle hints that she was moving but I didn't pick up on it.

Subtle hints can hurt, I had subtle hints from my best friend that she was dying but I was oblivious. But when my other best friend moved away to London, I had chicken pox before the summer holidays when it was her birthday so I couldn't go to her party. The next few weeks I got better so I went to school and it turns out she left to move to London before I could rearrange a visit.
An older friend of mine died in Trinidad after I'd already returned to the UK. But the distance had already dulled the bonds so it wasn't especially painful.

I've moved around a lot so I've lost friends that way.

I find that people often need me in their times of depression or loneliness but abandon me once they feel better about themselves and meet new exciting people. This happened a lot with friends who are now doing well at University.

And I've lost others due to the strain my aspergers and anxiety puts on the relationship. I'm odd and need reassurance and that wears at people. My friendships tend to have a shelf life of a couple years before people end things.

I try to appreciate each new friendship for what it is. It is great if they'll last a lifetime but they can be fickle. I try not to mourn the loss if they end because I'll find new ones and I've gone through the process many a time.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
An older friend of mine died in Trinidad after I'd already returned to the UK. But the distance had already dulled the bonds so it wasn't especially painful.

I've moved around a lot so I've lost friends that way.

I find that people often need me in their times of depression or loneliness but abandon me once they feel better about themselves and meet new exciting people. This happened a lot with friends who are now doing well at University.

And I've lost others due to the strain my aspergers and anxiety puts on the relationship. I'm odd and need reassurance and that wears at people. My friendships tend to have a shelf life of a couple years before people end things.

I try to appreciate each new friendship for what it is. It is great if they'll last a lifetime but they can be fickle. I try not to mourn the loss if they end because I'll find new ones and I've gone through the process many a time.

I do understand this, a lot of my friends are only my "friends" if I help them out, if I need them then they have disappeared. I'm too much of a nice person people tell me, too naive but I can't shake it off.
I lost a friend a few days ago. I had to end it because our relationship was very complicated and at times it wasn't really platonic. I'm processing the fact that I can't text him about random things that happened during my day anymore, it hurts a lot.

I had another friend a few years who just moved away to medical school in another country. She didn't answer my emails or messages, it was like we were never friends.
Reply 13
I've lost quite a few friends over the years for various reasons - one wouldn't put any effort into the friendship, a couple moved away and the distance made things inconvenient and one infiltrated completely infiltrated my trust.
I know the pain. My friend died when I was three (young I know to have friends but I remember her so well)

When I was five, my close friend moved to Australia and when she came back aged fourteen, I didn't even recognise her when she came to my school. We stopped talking.

My best friend left me at age seven to move to London and I found out after the summer holidays.

My best friend left me when I was thirteen to go to another school (haven't seen him for five years but we speak sometimes on Facebook)

My best friend died when I was sixteen, nearly two years ago. Still haunts me to this day.

I'm here if you need me. :lovie2::console:

one moved to poland
one move to new zealand
one moved to australia
a few moved to america
one moved to canada
one died from an asthma attack in his sleep last year
Original post by jamesthehustler
one moved to poland
one move to new zealand
one moved to australia
a few moved to america
one moved to canada
one died from an asthma attack in his sleep last year

The last one is so sad, that breaks my heart. How did you cope?
I've "lost" loads of friends in the sense that I've stopped talking to them
I've only "lost" one friend, and we weren't great friends to begin with - we were in a band and he had some kind of overdose - I was about 16
I've lost one friend to suicide which was about 2 and a half years ago. It was such a shock because he was the leader of a mental health support team at his uni but it just goes to show that anyone can suffer from MH problems and they can be good at hiding it and end up not getting the help they deserve :frown: he was 20. I felt every emotion under the sun when that happened. I've came to terms with it now but I still miss our chats and wish he got the help he needed in time.

The biggest friendship loss that affected me most personally was a guy I was best friends with for 6 years. He was my best friend, brother and basically everything under the sun. We were so close, or at least I thought. I had been going out with my current partner for about 2 months at the time this happened. I had lost my virginity to my partner and naturally, I wanted to tell my best friend. Instead of being all excited and bouncy and wanting all the gossip, he grabbed me by the throat and pinned me again the wall and started slapping and punching me and called me every name under the sun. This happened 7 years ago and to this day, I still haven't received an apology and I regret not reporting it. At the time I just wanted him out of my life asap. We haven't spoke at all since then and within the space of a few seconds, he killed 6 years of friendship that meant the world to me. It worries me because if he could do that to me, he could do that to a future partner, friend or even kid. It showed me that you never really know someone. Sounds silly, but all these years on and it still makes my heart and stomach drop when I think about it. I think it got to me more than I like to admit.

Now my partner is the only true friend I have and I hope I never lose him as a friend or boyfriend.
The last one is so sad, that breaks my heart. How did you cope?

i wasn't the closest of friends with him so i was support for those closer to him at the funeral and wake
@RobML Your friend's story is sad :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending