The Student Room Group

Evidence of unjustified gender pay gap

I would like to see some credible evidence that the so-called gender pay gap is the result of sexist attitudes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

*puts popcorn into the microwave*
The gender pay gap is my fault. I cri
Original post by Birkenhead
I would like to see some credible evidence that the so-called gender pay gap is the result of sexist attitudes.

Lol why am I tagged?

The gender pay gap is nonsense and has been discredited numerous times, and I have stated that in several recent threads.
Contrary to my belief many in my school still believe that there's a wage gap.

I'm not sure if this is true but DO women get paid less than men for the same job?? that's what all the ppl who i talk to believe...
Reply 5
Original post by thefatone

I'm not sure if this is true but DO women get paid less than men for the same job?? that's what all the ppl who i talk to believe...

As far as I'm aware...
The gender pay gap is the difference in the average annual earnings of men and women, caused by their own personal life choices. Women on average take more holidays, work less overtime, and have lower paying jobs. It makes sense that women would earn less on average per year. When a man and a woman are working the same job, they earn the same amount per hour and have the same opportunities for promotions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well if you take all women's earnings and divide them by the total number of women, you get a lower number than if you do the same for men.

This is clearly the invidious work of the patriarchy.

As a generality, no. All the people you talk to are wrong and you should find different people to talk to.
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well if you take all women's earnings and divide them by the total number of women, you get a lower number than if you do the same for men.

As a generality, no. All the people you talk to are wrong and you should find different people to talk to.

Many feminists claim women earn less than men in the same job and that this is the result of sexist attitudes rather than rewards for performance etc.

Are these people just not very bright or is there evidence to support their conclusions?
Reply 8
This is the ONLY evidence I have ever seen for a 'true' pay gap - and note, it's men who suffered #awks

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/apr/23/male-workers-win-equal-pay-claim-welsh-university
Women get better public exam grades than men = "Well done, they are working harder than men. Men need to work harder!"

Men earn more money than women = "This must be due to discrimination. People should just pay women more."
Original post by Birkenhead
Many feminists claim women earn less than men in the same job and that this is the result of sexist attitudes rather than rewards for performance etc.

Are these people just not very bright or is there evidence to support their conclusions?

I'm not sure I buy into that dichotomy. Lots of perfectly bright people believe things for which there is no evidence. They just get caught up in the 'cause', in this case.

This chap takes a quick run through some relevant studies etc in the US context in an entertaining manner.

I'd offer a more serious source but I'm afraid I don't take this particular non-issue very seriously.
I'm not sure I buy into that dichotomy. Lots of perfectly bright people believe things for which there is no evidence. They just get caught up in the 'cause', in this case.

That's actually why this issue annoys me. If the only people who believed the gender pay gap was due to discrimination were idiots, then I wouldn't care.

I am annoyed because plenty of incredibly intelligent people buy into it.
It exists because my feminist Bible says it exists!

Any "evidence" of the contrary is clearly a fabrication by the capitalist patriarchy... I mean Satan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum
That's actually why this issue annoys me. If the only people who believed the gender pay gap was due to discrimination were idiots, then I wouldn't care.

Yeah indeed. I think it also remains the safe, acceptable view for people in the public eye to hold, although it seems to be openly disputed more and more at the moment, so hopefully we'll see some impact there.
Reply 14

This chap takes a quick run through some relevant studies etc in the US context in an entertaining manner.

I'd offer a more serious source but I'm afraid I don't take this particular non-issue very seriously.

I would think such people are either unintelligent or superficial and lazy with what intelligence they do have, which to my mind is essentially the same thing.
Original post by Nadile
As far as I'm aware...
The gender pay gap is the difference in the average annual earnings of men and women, caused by their own personal life choices. Women on average take more holidays, work less overtime, and have lower paying jobs. It makes sense that women would earn less on average per year. When a man and a woman are working the same job, they earn the same amount per hour and have the same opportunities for promotions.

I understood this but people keep telling me that women working same job as men get paid less and i'm like

really? is there evidence for this? or just speculation?

they're really good friends but the school and some teachers i believe have swayed them to the dark side
I understood this but people keep telling me that women working same job as men get paid less and i'm like

really? is there evidence for this? or just speculation?

they're really good friends but the school and some teachers i believe have swayed them to the dark side

Ask the teachers what they're doing to combat to "gender grade gap". :p:
Ask the teachers what they're doing to combat to "gender grade gap". :p:

it was a discussion at school and all the do is complain about it but then again i have no balls to ask them what they'd do about it since i'd be called savage and probably the teacher would have to go to hospital cause they got burned so hard
The results of sexist attitudes you say?

So are you accepting the existence of sexist attitudes? What a big step for you.

It still astounds me how people don't seem to understand the powerful influence of attitudes on behaviour and outcomes.

I touch on it in this post-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4018339&page=3&p=64159077#post64159077

But there's a lot more to it than that.

Some of them do. Even my teacher said so. I literally died back then because I wasn't exactly sure whether it was true or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending