The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butternuts96
How? Which scholars are these? But most importantly . . . Where is the evidence?

"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185]; and "Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6]

'Aishah, radiya Allahu 'anhu, who said; "Whenever the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, has a choice between two matters, he would choose the easiest, unless it is sinful (act)" [Bukhari].

If it will case unbearable difficulty, then in this case it becomes haraam for him to fast. The evidence for that is the report narrated by Muslim from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with them), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out to Makkah in the year of the Conquest in Ramadaan, and fasted until he reached Kuraa’ al-Ghameem. The people were fasting, but he called for a cup of water and lifted it up so that the people could see it, then he drank it. After that, he was told that some of the people had continued to fast. He said, “Those are the disobedient, those are the disobedient.” According to another report, he was told, “The people are finding it hard to fast, and they are waiting to see what you will do.” So he called for a cup of water after ‘Asr. (1114) So he described those who fasted even though it was very difficult as being disobedient.

Plus my uncle is an aalim, and he has studied the hadiths and Quran in depth and he said its ok for me to miss a fast on a day of an exam as long as I make it up after. Not that I have to justify myself to you, its between me and Allah.
Original post by safiyyah98
"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185]; and "Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6]

'Aishah, radiya Allahu 'anhu, who said; "Whenever the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, has a choice between two matters, he would choose the easiest, unless it is sinful (act)" [Bukhari].

If it will case unbearable difficulty, then in this case it becomes haraam for him to fast. The evidence for that is the report narrated by Muslim from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with them), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out to Makkah in the year of the Conquest in Ramadaan, and fasted until he reached Kuraa’ al-Ghameem. The people were fasting, but he called for a cup of water and lifted it up so that the people could see it, then he drank it. After that, he was told that some of the people had continued to fast. He said, “Those are the disobedient, those are the disobedient.” According to another report, he was told, “The people are finding it hard to fast, and they are waiting to see what you will do.” So he called for a cup of water after ‘Asr. (1114) So he described those who fasted even though it was very difficult as being disobedient.

Plus my uncle is an aalim, and he has studied the hadiths and Quran in depth and he said its ok for me to miss a fast on a day of an exam as long as I make it up after. Not that I have to justify myself to you, its between me and Allah.

The context of that hadith was that the Prophet (peace and prayers upon him) was a traveller. Fact. Travellers do not have to fast Ramadan (they make it up later) but it is permissable. Fact.

Also, this hadith actually means that it becomes haram to fast if the travelling will cause unbearable harm.

Context is key. Does that answer your question? Your uncle's claims that you can miss a fast are invalid. So now you've learnt that "exams" is not a valid excuse to miss Ramadan, you are no longer ignorant of the ruling. You fully understand that a day of Ramadan cannot be missed for an exam and it is haram to do so.

What you do next is up to you. If you fast, then maa shaa Allah, well done. But if you choose not to fast, then you are fully aware that it was haraam to do so.

My references are here:
https://islamqa.info/en/20165
https://islamqa.info/en/38747

TLDR: You can't miss a fast for exams, it's a pathetic excuse.
The context of that hadith was that the Prophet (peace and prayers upon him) was a traveller. Fact. Travellers do not have to fast Ramadan (they make it up later) but it is permissable. Fact.

Also, this hadith actually means that it becomes haram to fast if the travelling will cause unbearable harm.

Context is key. Does that answer your question? Your uncle's claims that you can miss a fast are invalid. So now you've learnt that "exams" is not a valid excuse to miss Ramadan, you are no longer ignorant of the ruling. You fully understand that a day of Ramadan cannot be missed for an exam and it is haram to do so.

What you do next is up to you. If you fast, then maa shaa Allah, well done. But if you choose not to fast, then you are fully aware that it was haraam to do so.

My references are here:
https://islamqa.info/en/20165
https://islamqa.info/en/38747

TLDR: You can't miss a fast for exams, it's a pathetic excuse.

Its not a claim, don't be a bitch about my uncle mate, I obviously don't know as much as he does but I'm sure he could explain it better than me. I will ask him to form a response and I will send it you.

Even if the last one was in context, it says if you bear any difficulties and I consider fasting whilst doing an exam a difficulty therefore it is valid.

Ok haraam police but where is your evidence that its haraam to miss a fast when you have exams? Claiming something is haraam without evidence is haraam in itself! It may just be makruh, meaning it is frowned upon. And i don't need a well done from you even if I do decide to fast, its none of your business.

FYI its not a 'pathetic excuse' it is a genuine reason since many students in the UK have fainted whilst fasting in school, not even during exams! When non muslims hear about this stuff, no wonder they think Islam is difficult! We make it difficult for ourselves when in reality its so simple! Allah does not want us to be burdened with fasting, Ramadan is a month of blessing, so why torture yourself if you know you can't cope?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Its not a claim, don't be a bitch about my uncle mate, I obviously don't know as much as he does but I'm sure he could explain it better than me. I will ask him to form a response and I will send it you.
Even if the last one was in context, it says if you bear any difficulties and I consider fasting whilst doing an exam a difficulty therefore it is valid.
Ok haraam police but where is your evidence that its haraam to miss a fast when you have exams? And i don't need a well done from you even if I do decide to fast, its none of your business.

What you often see from the people who want to follow their desires is that they try to define the limits of Islam for themselves without any evidence. These people need to be asked "Do you want to follow an Islam guided by God, or would you rather follow an Islam that's guided by your desires?".

Noone's being a bitch about your uncle, I merely said that his claims were invalid and he holds no evidence for "exams" being a decent excuse. Which is a true statement by me, I never called him names or said anything unfriendly. You're just getting super defensive because you've stumbled upon someone who will poke a whole in your logic. Someone who'll burst your fantasy bubble "Islam is whatever I make of it".

I'm not "haraam police" lol. I was giving advice, look at my previous post. You seem to be the one making everything hostile (due to your defensiveness).

Exams is not an excuse according to any valid opinion. At all. I took my exams last year in ramadan as well and so do the majority of Muslims. It's not a big deal. It's difficult, sure, But not of "unbearable difficulty". It's just a day without food or water which can be handled well if you plan your suhoor well (eat the right stuff).

The only relevent excuse in your case would be if fasting would lead to a serious illness. "Losing concentration in exams" is genuinely not a valid excuse by any valid scholarly opinion.

Do what you want, you have free will. The action may be forgiven by Allah on the Day of Judgement but to call a haraam action halal is undeniably a great sin (I forgot the verse which describes this).

Ok haraam police but where is your evidence that its haraam to miss a fast when you have exams? Claiming something is haraam without evidence is haraam in itself! It may just be makruh, meaning it is frowned upon. And i don't need a well done from you even if I do decide to fast, its none of your business.

FYI its not a 'pathetic excuse' it is a genuine reason since many students in the UK have fainted whilst fasting in school, not even during exams! When non muslims hear about this stuff, no wonder they think Islam is difficult! We make it difficult for ourselves when in reality its so simple! Allah does not want us to be burdened with fasting, Ramadan is a month of blessing, so why torture yourself if you know you can't cope?!

Oh. I forgot you wrote this little humorous piece right here.

1. Where can I find the official statistics for the percentage of Muslim kids who have fainted while fasting during a school exam?

2. Fasting is torturing ourselves? It's nice to know your thoughts on one of the pillars of Islam. You think sitting in an exam hall for a few hours during a fast is torture? What do you say of Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) and his companions fasting in the blistering heat of Saudi? Why did he not miss any fasts and say "Islam is easy but we make it difficult for ourselves"? There are some struggles you just have to deal with, Nobody said fasting is easy. It's very hard; some things are very hard in Islam (whole point of this life). But fasting in exams is not of unbearable difficulty.

If you don't believe me, check out the statistics on the percentage of muslims who have fasted in exam halls and survived!

Sis you cannot make up your own interpretations. I could consider fasting while working a difficulty, that doesn't mean one can miss fasting on the weekdays.
Anyone can make up their own excuses which is wrong.

There have been multiple links in this thread provided to you.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. The reasoning for fainting might have been due to dehydration, and it's vital you drink plenty of water at suhoor.
Some non Muslims also think praying 5 times a day is difficult. Does that mean we stop doing it?
Going to Hajj is also a blessing, you may argue why go to such a busy place and torture yourself in the heat whilst circumambulating the kabah seven times. That doesn't mean it's acceptable to ignore this pillar of Islam right?

We get it easy in the UK, we don't even realise it. There are some who don't even get suhoor or iftaar yet they still fast. Alhamdulilah we have the chance to fill our stomachs before the next fast.

Please think about which exams are more important to you, this worlds or the next.
Original post by HAnwar
x

x

No point taking this conversation any further people have tried before you 2 to change her opinion i doubt
she will change her opinion.
Ive met alot of other muslims like this, so consistent on making what is haram halal. What ive learnt from my experience is no matter how much verses/hadiths scholarly judgements you bring to her they won't change their mind. Heck even if Allah swt brought the sahaba's back to life they still wont believe them.
Its best not to waste your time, after all she'll have to answer to her Lord not you, your best option is to pray for Allah to guide her.
Original post by Mentally
No point taking this conversation any further people have tried before you 2 to change her opinion i doubt
Ive met alot of other muslims like this, so consistent on making what is haram halal. What ive learnt from my experience is no matter how much verses/hadiths scholarly judgements you bring to her they won't change their mind. Heck even if Allah swt brought the sahaba's back to life they still wont believe them.
Its best not to waste your time, after all she'll have to answer to her Lord not you, your best option is to pray for Allah to guide her.

That will be my last reply to her.
I do hope she thinks carefully about what I've written.
Reply 228
Wow some of these replies...

End of the day religion is between you and your lord. If you feel you've got a strong connection then fast, if you feel it'll hinder you then don't but do it with the intention of making up for it and bear in mind it'll still be Ramadan and still try to pray more, do more Dua, read more Quran...

Some of you may be more religious than others and feel more of a connection, stop trying to impose your views on people. Give your opinions and let them choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OwaisB

End of the day religion is between you and your lord. If you feel you've got a strong connection then fast, if you feel it'll hinder you then don't but do it with the intention of making up for it and bear in mind it'll still be Ramadan and still try to pray more, do more Dua, read more Quran...

Some of you may be more religious than others and feel more of a connection, stop trying to impose your views on people. Give your opinions and let them choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noone's forcing her to fast at this point. She can do what she likes. I mentioned that. The problem now is that people are trying to make something haraam into something halaal; it's the belief that we're trying to change.

You say "give your opinions" but on this matter there is only ONE opinion; that exams is not an excuse to miss fasting. People saying "exams is a good excuse" have ZERO evidence for doing so.

What's even worse is that she's telling non muslims on this site that exams is a good excuse as well. This is called spreading lies about the religion or speaking about the religion when she has no knowledge of it. This is real dangerous and it also gives non muslims the wrong idea of Islam.
I can only laugh... To each their own pffffttt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exams are not a valid excuse to miss ramadan's fasts under any valid opinion. I tagged you in a previous post where I explained this. Check IslamQA for further info; type "fasting excuses".

I don't understand why you're just making up stuff?

innovation in Islam, it's getting more and more common.
I've also got my A2's and will be fasting , I fasted during my mocks and that was difficult but I'll just pull through with Allah 's swt Barakat !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OwaisB

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's not imposing anything, missing a fast for an exam is Haram. Finished. If you want to miss a fast don't try to veil it as halal because you're sitting in an exam hall and its oh so difficult and mislead other Muslims.

Would it be imposing if we were to tell someone eating haram meat because it takes 40 minutes to get to a halal butcher is haram?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh. I forgot you wrote this little humorous piece right here.

1. Where can I find the official statistics for the percentage of Muslim kids who have fainted while fasting during a school exam?

2. Fasting is torturing ourselves? It's nice to know your thoughts on one of the pillars of Islam. You think sitting in an exam hall for a few hours during a fast is torture? What do you say of Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) and his companions fasting in the blistering heat of Saudi? Why did he not miss any fasts and say "Islam is easy but we make it difficult for ourselves"? There are some struggles you just have to deal with, Nobody said fasting is easy. It's very hard; some things are very hard in Islam (whole point of this life). But fasting in exams is not of unbearable difficulty.

If you don't believe me, check out the statistics on the percentage of muslims who have fasted in exam halls and survived!

You have twisted my words so much in this little essay that I can't even be arsed to acknowledge all of your misinterpretations. I'm still waiting for evidence from the Quran/Hadith that says you have to fast during exams and/or that its not a valid reason????
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mentally

Please can you provide a quote from the Quran/hadith where it says its haraam to miss a fast when having an exam?
Original post by Oilfreak1
it's not imposing anything, missing a fast for an exam is Haram. Finished. If you want to miss a fast don't try to veil it as halal because you're sitting in an exam hall and its oh so difficult and mislead other Muslims.

Would it be imposing if we were to tell someone eating haram meat because it takes 40 minutes to get to a halal butcher is haram?

Please can you provide a quote from the Quran/hadith where it says its haraam to miss a fast when having an exam?
Original post by HAnwar
Sis you cannot make up your own interpretations. I could consider fasting while working a difficulty, that doesn't mean one can miss fasting on the weekdays.
Anyone can make up their own excuses which is wrong.

There have been multiple links in this thread provided to you.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. The reasoning for fainting might have been due to dehydration, and it's vital you drink plenty of water at suhoor.
Some non Muslims also think praying 5 times a day is difficult. Does that mean we stop doing it?
Going to Hajj is also a blessing, you may argue why go to such a busy place and torture yourself in the heat whilst circumambulating the kabah seven times. That doesn't mean it's acceptable to ignore this pillar of Islam right?

We get it easy in the UK, we don't even realise it. There are some who don't even get suhoor or iftaar yet they still fast. Alhamdulilah we have the chance to fill our stomachs before the next fast.

Please think about which exams are more important to you, this worlds or the next.

Don't think people should since hydrations leads to not thinking properly, not a good idea
Original post by PrincessZara
Don't think people should since hydrations leads to not thinking properly, not a good idea

proper preparation at suhoor will prevent any dehydration that would prevent someone from sitting still in an exam hall, they aren't footballers.

Quick Reply

Latest