The Student Room Group

We do not need anymore Punk documentaries! Nor Nirvana being mentioned every time.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M14B
What the hell is nirvana?!

You're sad.
Original post by BiologyA2Student
Apparently its the name thats found on the t shirts of wanna-be emo chicks :tongue:

Absolutely hate those kind of people that just wear band shirts because it goes with an image. God's honest truth, I met one girl and she didn't even know that Black Sabbath were a band.
And one lad I met was wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt and thought LZ was one guy.
Reply 22
Original post by DMcGovern
They were a million times better than the shite these days.

Well of course corporatism has taken over so now all we have is hardcore heavy metal, pop rock and sellouts like Green Day.

I'd say they were influenced more by Sonic Youth or the Pixies but possibly :tongue:

Yeah they were definitely influenced by those as well. Particularly The Pixies, who should have been the band that broke the American alternative scene. They were genuinely subversive.
Reply 23
Original post by iEthan
Hiya OP :wavey:

Just moved this over to a more appropriate section for you. :smile:

Ethan

Thanks Ethan, I wasn't aware of a music forum :smile:
Absolutely hate those kind of people that just wear band shirts because it goes with an image. God's honest truth, I met one girl and she didn't even know that Black Sabbath were a band.

That pic is spot on lol.
Original post by Damien96
Thanks Ethan, I wasn't aware of a music forum :smile:

No problem at all! :h:
Original post by AthiaKarim
thats so rude lol

but at least, those wanna-be emo chicks appreciate good music :smile:

Haha I do like nirvana you know, it was a joke :tongue:
Haha I do like nirvana you know, it was a joke :tongue:

Oh :* goody haha :tongue:
Oh :* goody haha :tongue:

You're pretty for a goth girl :colondollar:
You're pretty for a goth girl :colondollar:

Lmao I'm not a goth girl. I like artists/bands from a wide range of genres. I hugely dislike rap music lol. And not too keen on r&b etc :frown:
Original post by Damien96
Important and influential yes but that does mean they were good. What has come since? Nu Metal? Emo? "Punks" with skateboards got more popular and most Rock has been taken over by whiney, self-pity.

Emo, or rather, emotional hardcore, has been around since the 80s. In other words, emo as a sub-genre pre-dates Nirvana by a few years.

I'll give you that the state of modern rock is rather shite compared to how it was throughout the 60s-90s, but what you gonna do?

The Damned?
They were a grunge band that has come to be regarded as one of the most influential and important rock bands of the modern era.

The Damned were a punk band, and later incorporated gothic/horror themes into their music. But grunge, they were not. I should know, I've seen them enough times :wink:
Original post by Drunk Punx

The Damned were a punk band, and later incorporated gothic/horror themes into their music. But grunge, they were not. I should know, I've seen them enough times :wink:

I know who the Damned were but I was just saying that in question of how they could be associated with Nirvana.
Thanks for the info tho :tongue:
Lmao I'm not a goth girl. I like artists/bands from a wide range of genres. I hugely dislike rap music lol. And not too keen on r&b etc :frown:

Lol me too I listened to a wider variety of music mostly rock. I like hip hop but not songs about sex and drugs like today. I love fort minor

I hate that ****. I recently heard someone listening to Nevermind the *******s and I asked them joking to turn it up louder so I can listen too. Then they just started jamming like they're cool and so I asked them what their favourite song was. They said "I've no idea." I asked if it's because there's too many good ones to choose from, the idiot says, "No. I just have no idea what theyre saying." I literally asked them what the **** they were doing.
I was just about make a punk thread because I don't see one. I think there needs to be more documentaries because apparently people have no ****ing clue about the social origins of punk. Which makes me love punk more than the actual music even though the music is phenomenal.
Reply 35
Original post by xobeauty
You're sad.

:colone:

Just sad..smh, just smh.
Reply 37
Original post by Mard_arse
I was just about make a punk thread because I don't see one. I think there needs to be more documentaries because apparently people have no ****ing clue about the social origins of punk. Which makes me love punk more than the actual music even though the music is phenomenal.

I do not see the need for yet another one. Christ if people haven't got it by now they never will.

The problem is the documentary makers, as all documentary makers do, seem to want to polish up the story to suit Guardian readers, hence why The Clash, who I love, are pushed more than others with the exception of the Pistols perhaps. These are the same journalists that either ignored or smeared the entire genre as racist in the 80's.
Reply 38
Original post by Mard_arse
I hate that ****. I recently heard someone listening to Nevermind the *******s and I asked them joking to turn it up louder so I can listen too. Then they just started jamming like they're cool and so I asked them what their favourite song was. They said "I've no idea." I asked if it's because there's too many good ones to choose from, the idiot says, "No. I just have no idea what theyre saying." I literally asked them what the **** they were doing.

I've a friend who is in a "Punk" band who told me he knows of The Sex Pistols but didn't know their songs. Skateboarding **** that he is.
I think to truly appreciate Nirvana you have to understand their message and learn about what Kurt Cobain was like - such a ****ing cool guy and they're my favourite band of all time - truly they're not overrated a lot of songs they have done are very very underrated and they came about at a time where pop was taking over and totally flipped the popular music industry at the time. They stuck to their roots and were very important

Quick Reply

Latest