The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Mary's College, Durham

Hi,

I've received an offer to study Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations (any other applicants?) at Durham and was allocated to St Mary's. I was wondering if there's anyone who can tell me what it's like there? I live in Somerset so it's basically impossible for me to visit as it is so far away, and now I'm running out of time to choose my firm and insurance choices on UCAS. I'm starting to panic slightly so I was wondering if anyone knows:
-How far it is from the town
-How nice the accommodation is
-What the catering is like
-How far it is from where I need to be for lectures etc.
-Whether it's a nice place to live in general
I've read through the information on their website but of course they're promoting it, so I was hoping that I could get a realistic idea of what it's actually like?
Thanks!
Hi!
I was also offered archaeology at Durham and was allocated to St Mary's! Durham is a very tiny city but is beautiful, don't know if you've ever been to York but its just like it with its small cobbled streets ect. The uni itself is stunning set up on the hill and overlooks down into the city. The archaeology department is very relaxed and extremely interested in their subject.
Town is literally a 15 minute walk but Newcastle is only a 15 minute train journey where the night life is.
St Marys is right next to the uni and is rather nice inside.
Not sure on catering side but I've heard its good from people online :smile:
I highly recommend the uni and collage however I've firmed UCL and Durham is my insurance. Hope that helps a bit.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by gingernutcrazy
Hi!
I was also offered archaeology at Durham and was allocated to St Mary's! Durham is a very tiny city but is beautiful, don't know if you've ever been to York but its just like it with its small cobbled streets ect. The uni itself is stunning set up on the hill and overlooks down into the city. The archaeology department is very relaxed and extremely interested in their subject.
Town is literally a 15 minute walk but Newcastle is only a 15 minute train journey where the night life is.
St Marys is right next to the uni and is rather nice inside.
Not sure on catering side but I've heard its good from people online :smile:
I highly recommend the uni and collage however I've firmed UCL and Durham is my insurance. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! Sorry for the super late reply, my laptop broke so I had to wait for a new one ugh xD Thanks for the help, I've put Durham as insurance too! I did get an offer from UCL and it was close but in the end I firmed Warwick.
Hi! I really want to apply to do Classics/archaeology/ancient civilizations at Durham and am particularly interested in St Mary's College. What grades did you get as I am not sure mine are good enough:
GCSE- 2A*, 4As and 5Bs
AS- Unknown but predicted AAB
Any replies would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest