The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bonus Post #1
I just want to say thankyou to everyone who read my first blog post! I really appreciate the comments that you all left and i hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

OCD Part 2: Fighting and Overcoming

My last post covered OCD and what its like to have it. Today im gonna wrap it up and hopefully you will all have a better understanding of how to properly fight and overcome OCD! I realize this post is close to the previous one but i wanted to put this up now so im able to discuss other matters in future posts!OCD is a tricky beat to tame! It requires a lot of hard work and perseverance to overcome (im hope everyone out there with a mental illness will be able to relate to this post in some way).

Its not as simple as going to the doctors and being prescribed medication! Although the medication does help significantly, its not a permanent cure. I was reffered to the NHS to asses my condition. I first had a telephone appointment (as appose to a group discussion!) where i spoke about what i was gouing through and what may have caused it. Once this was over, i was officialy diagnosed with mild OCD. After this i had 3 30minute appointments with the same woman. Here she assessed my condition and realized that i was worse than first thought. I was supposed to have 6 of these sessions but they werent much use to me. I was therefore placed on an 8 month waiting list to see a therapist for CBT therapy.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is the most effective way of treating OCD. What it does is teaches you about a cycle which OCD goes through and i learn that carrying out the rituals is only feeding the OCD. I needed to stop the rituals in order to get better.This may seem easy but trust me, its one of the hardest things ive ever had to do in life!The anxitey that builds up drives you insane because you cant be happy because youre experiencing extreme discomfort from being banned to do any rituals!I was often in tears because it was too much at times, i just didnt feel like i could do it.Then my grandad passed away. This was an extreme low spot for me. I loved him but now he was gone. This gave me determination! He manahed to fight his illnesses so i can fight mine. I did it for him. I just wish he was here to see it but he helped me to make massive progress!!!

Now it takes a lot of time for this method to work and im still not fully better yet! Its just a case of keeping at it until you feel better. You have to break the cycle. You cannot feed the OCD, you have to be stronger than it! OCD is a retched ******* and i really sympathize with anyone who is or had previously experienced this monstrosity!

So thats some insight on how to fight OCD and how hard it can be. I really wanted to post this as soon as possible because i want people to realize that it is tough but it can be done.I hope this gives you some insight into the therapy aspect.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
I will continue to post about OCD but i want to start posting about bullying in my next main post.Again thankyou all for reading and i hope you enjoy!

Next Week: My experiences with bullying in college.

Spoiler

You went for it then!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missytwinpeaks
You went for it then!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did indeed! :smile:
Ive found it enjoyable so far tbh!
Reply 43
Original post by FireFreezer77
Bonus Post #1
I just want to say thankyou to everyone who read my first blog post! I really appreciate the comments that you all left and i hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

OCD Part 2: Fighting and Overcoming

My last post covered OCD and what its like to have it. Today im gonna wrap it up and hopefully you will all have a better understanding of how to properly fight and overcome OCD! I realize this post is close to the previous one but i wanted to put this up now so im able to discuss other matters in future posts!OCD is a tricky beat to tame! It requires a lot of hard work and perseverance to overcome (im hope everyone out there with a mental illness will be able to relate to this post in some way).

Its not as simple as going to the doctors and being prescribed medication! Although the medication does help significantly, its not a permanent cure. I was reffered to the NHS to asses my condition. I first had a telephone appointment (as appose to a group discussion!) where i spoke about what i was gouing through and what may have caused it. Once this was over, i was officialy diagnosed with mild OCD. After this i had 3 30minute appointments with the same woman. Here she assessed my condition and realized that i was worse than first thought. I was supposed to have 6 of these sessions but they werent much use to me. I was therefore placed on an 8 month waiting list to see a therapist for CBT therapy.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is the most effective way of treating OCD. What it does is teaches you about a cycle which OCD goes through and i learn that carrying out the rituals is only feeding the OCD. I needed to stop the rituals in order to get better.This may seem easy but trust me, its one of the hardest things ive ever had to do in life!The anxitey that builds up drives you insane because you cant be happy because youre experiencing extreme discomfort from being banned to do any rituals!I was often in tears because it was too much at times, i just didnt feel like i could do it.Then my grandad passed away. This was an extreme low spot for me. I loved him but now he was gone. This gave me determination! He manahed to fight his illnesses so i can fight mine. I did it for him. I just wish he was here to see it but he helped me to make massive progress!!!

Now it takes a lot of time for this method to work and im still not fully better yet! Its just a case of keeping at it until you feel better. You have to break the cycle. You cannot feed the OCD, you have to be stronger than it! OCD is a retched bastard and i really sympathize with anyone who is or had previously experienced this monstrosity!

So thats some insight on how to fight OCD and how hard it can be. I really wanted to post this as soon as possible because i want people to realize that it is tough but it can be done.I hope this gives you some insight into the therapy aspect.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
I will continue to post about OCD but i want to start posting about bullying in my next main post.Again thankyou all for reading and i hope you enjoy!

Next Week: My experiences with bullying in college.

Spoiler

Hey thank you so much for tagging me! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He would have been very proud of you for whatever you are doing! OCD is an absolute nightmare and I honestly wish that it didn't exist-just like cancer and 100's and 1000's of other disorders and diseases. You opening up about OCD is going to help a lot of people so thank you for blogging about OCD and your experience with it. I can't wait for your next blog!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noara
Hey thank you so much for tagging me! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He would have been very proud of you for whatever you are doing! OCD is an absolute nightmare and I honestly wish that it didn't exist-just like cancer and 100's and 1000's of other disorders and diseases. You opening up about OCD is going to help a lot of people so thank you for blogging about OCD and your experience with it. I can't wait for your next blog!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries!
Thankyou. It was a dark time tbh. I hope he wouldve been!
Me too!
I hope people can learn from this! And i hope you enjoy the next post!
Also ill respond to your PM soon. Ive got to do something first then im free from then onwards!
x

Very good read , as your first post ;D !
You know it's actually really interesting to know more about your life !!

For your grandad, I'm so Sorry for your loss :console: but You are definitely right to see that as a determination !! You don't let things get you down, you are brave :yep: keep it up :h:

And I can't wait to read the next post ! - btw sorry you've been bullied :cry2: :heart: :hugs: - well done for the good post :h:
x

Thank you for tagging me again, @FireFreezer77, I'm really enjoying your posts so far. I love the way you describe everything, it's nice and easy for people who perhaps aren't familiar with or haven't really experienced OCD (like myself) to understand.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandpa, but it's great to hear that you managed to stay positive and determined despite that! I look forward to reading your future posts :h:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Very good read , as your first post ;D !
You know it's actually really interesting to know more about your life !!

For your grandad, I'm so Sorry for your loss :console: but You are definitely right to see that as a determination !! You don't let things get you down, you are brave :yep: keep it up :h:

And I can't wait to read the next post ! - btw sorry you've been bullied :cry2: :heart: :hugs: - well done for the good post :h:

Why thank you!
Really? I never thought my life was interesting tbh but thanks :smile:

Thanks. :hugs: He was amazing! He didn't make my 18th which was really sad :frown:
I want to do it for him!
I appreciate that, thanks!

I hope you find it interesting! :h:
Thankyou for reading!!!
Original post by Leviathan1741

Thank you for tagging me again, @FireFreezer77, I'm really enjoying your posts so far. I love the way you describe everything, it's nice and easy for people who perhaps aren't familiar with or haven't really experienced OCD (like myself) to understand.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandpa, but it's great to hear that you managed to stay positive and determined despite that! I look forward to reading your future posts :h:

No worries!
Why Thankyou! I hope you continue to enjoy them!
Ah I appreciate that because writing has never been my strong point! So it's nice to hear that!
And I'm glad I've helped you to understand OCD better!

It was a sad time for us all! But I'm doing this for him! He put up with his illnesses for 24 years! I really want to overcome it to show him I can do it too!
Why thank you!
Really? I never thought my life was interesting tbh but thanks :smile:

Thanks. :hugs: He was amazing! He didn't make my 18th which was really sad :frown:
I want to do it for him!
I appreciate that, thanks!

I hope you find it interesting! :h:
Thankyou for reading!!!

Your life is definitely interesting omg ! And I like to listen to people :h:

So sorry :cry2: he'd very proud of you to keep on going :jumphug:

I bet I'll find it interesting :wink:
YW ! :heart:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Your life is definitely interesting omg ! And I like to listen to people :h:

So sorry :cry2: he'd very proud of you to keep on going :jumphug:

I bet I'll find it interesting :wink:
YW ! :heart:

Why Thankyou! That's awesome! I like to listen to people too!

I hope so. I miss him :cry2: :hugs:

I hope so :wink:
:biggrin:
I appreciate it!
Why Thankyou! That's awesome! I like to listen to people too!

I hope so. I miss him :cry2: :hugs:

I hope so :wink:
:biggrin:
I appreciate it!

PRSOM :heart:
Thanks for tagging me! It didn't let me rep you :/

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, must've been such a hard time for you! :frown:

So glad you're able to share with us how it's like living with OCD! Keep up the good work!
Original post by AthiaKarim
Thanks for tagging me! It didn't let me rep you :/

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, must've been such a hard time for you! :frown:

So glad you're able to share with us how it's like living with OCD! Keep up the good work!

No worries!!

It was a dark time for us all! But things are a bit happier now!

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read it!!

PS I've got some good news. I'll tweet ya!
No worries!!

It was a dark time for us all! But things are a bit happier now!

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read it!!

PS I've got some good news. I'll tweet ya!

Yes! I'm glad they are honey! I look forward to reading the next one!!

And ok :tongue: x
Original post by AthiaKarim
Yes! I'm glad they are honey! I look forward to reading the next one!!

And ok :tongue: x

Thanks!
I hope you enjoy it!
Thankyou for reading!!

Really? I appreciate that.
Ive got so many good memories even if the last one wasnt :frown: I didnt see him the day he died i was too upset from when i saw him the previous day (really ill in hospital).
I feel guilty though for bot going in to see him.
I appreciate your kind comments there!!

Im sorry to hear about your bullying. Hopefully uni is better for you! Its not a nice thing to be going through!!
Im glad youve learnt a lot from the thread so far!
I must be doing something right!
Thankyou! I hope you enjoy reading it. :smile:
@Spock's Socks here you go! :smile:
Aw you are so inspirational :yep: Thanks for the blog, it was a very interesting read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I know you've got this a lot but I'm sorry about your grandad, but I'm sure your determination will make him very happy :redface:

Do you mind if you tag me for your next blog?
Original post by Bubblewrap167
Aw you are so inspirational :yep: Thanks for the blog, it was a very interesting read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I know you've got this a lot but I'm sorry about your grandad, but I'm sure your determination will make him very happy :redface:

Do you mind if you tag me for your next blog?

Why thankyou! I appreciate that!!
Im glad you enjoyed it. Its fun to write about and share my experiences!
I hope he will be happy!! It was such a hard time and a setback for me.
Thankyou for reading!!

Sure thing! Ill tag you in the next one!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending