The Student Room Group

I applied for the wrong uni's?! help me please :(

And the wrong uni...I know it sounds bad.
So basically, at the beginning I was very uninterested in going to uni, so I applied for uni's that I didn't really know much about in terms of my grades etc... And my school just made us do our UCAS fast, so I applied without even thinking. :/ (I know sounds bad). But no I actually want to go uni as I think it's my only option (I want to do film production/making). And the one uni I actually really wanted to go to that I applied for didn't accept me

So I have my firm choice in mind, and I am happy with it except I don't think I will have the grades to get in. And my insurance choice is not somewhere I want to go. I have done research on uni's that I would like to go to because it fits my course perfectly, but I don't know what to do? Should I call up UCAS? or should I call up the uni's? Should I just wait until clearing? I am so stressed and I seriously need help/advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
And the wrong uni...I know it sounds bad.
So basically, at the beginning I was very uninterested in going to uni, so I applied for uni's that I didn't really know much about in terms of my grades etc... And my school just made us do our UCAS fast, so I applied without even thinking. :/ (I know sounds bad). But no I actually want to go uni as I think it's my only option (I want to do film production/making). And the one uni I actually really wanted to go to that I applied for didn't accept me

So I have my firm choice in mind, and I am happy with it except I don't think I will have the grades to get in. And my insurance choice is not somewhere I want to go. I have done research on uni's that I would like to go to because it fits my course perfectly, but I don't know what to do? Should I call up UCAS? or should I call up the uni's? Should I just wait until clearing? I am so stressed and I seriously need help/advice.

How unlikely do you feel it is you will meet your firm choice? Are then any unis with places left in extra that you would be happier or as happy going to?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
How unlikely do you feel it is you will meet your firm choice? Are then any unis with places left in extra that you would be happier or as happy going to?

I don't know, I haven't checked any uni's for spaces. I have about 3 uni's in mind so far.
And I think it might be a little unlikely but it depends on my upcoming interview and my portfolio more than my grades I think with the course I want to do.
Clearing or Adjustment?
I don't know, I haven't checked any uni's for spaces. I have about 3 uni's in mind so far.
And I think it might be a little unlikely but it depends on my upcoming interview and my portfolio more than my grades I think with the course I want to do.

I d say wait to make a decision until after the interview. Unis dont always update the course search immediately but apparently there are still around 80 films related courses with places left including some foundation years so i dont think you need to panic yet http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=film%20production&Page=1&flt6=2&flt8=2 .
Reply 5
Original post by Eternalflames
Clearing or Adjustment?

But clearing is not until July and apparently you are not always guaranteed a space :redface:
What is adjustment?
(edited 8 years ago)
But clearing is not until July and apparently you are not always guaranteed a space :redface:

I got 3 offers through clearing two summers ago. It's not as bad people think it is, you will get a place if you phone up a bunch of different places during clearing. Trust me :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
I d say wait to make a decision until after the interview. Unis dont always update the course search immediately but apparently there are still around 80 films related courses with places left including some foundation years so i dont think you need to panic yet http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=film%20production&Page=1&flt6=2&flt8=2 .

Oh okay thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Eternalflames
I got 3 offers through clearing two summers ago. It's not as bad people think it is, you will get a place if you phone up a bunch of different places during clearing. Trust me :smile:

oh haha, thank you :biggrin:
oh haha, thank you :biggrin:

Adjustment is where you have met and exceeded the offer of your firm choice. So if the offer is ABB and you get AAA, you can 'Adjust' up into a place that offers that. You can find out more information on the UCAS website, speaking of which you should phone them up and tell them what's up and they'll be able to help you better :smile:

Glad I could help
What is adjustment?

Adjustment isn't available until after A Level results day and is only available to students who exceed their firm offer
Reply 11
Original post by super_kawaii
Adjustment isn't available until after A Level results day and is only available to students who exceed their firm offer

Oh okay
Which Uni's are they
Reply 13
Original post by reinaadira
Which Uni's are they

Are you talking about my firm/insurance choice or the ones I wish I applied for?
Are you talking about my firm/insurance choice or the ones I wish I applied for?

well all of them if you don't mind saying
are the content of the courses significantly different from uni to uni
Reply 15
Original post by reinaadira
well all of them if you don't mind saying
are the content of the courses significantly different from uni to uni

For my firm choice- Nottingham trent
Insurance- Southampton Solent

I really wanted to go Kingston, but they didn't accept me after the interview. Now I wouldn't mind going to hertfordshire/birmingham/Manchester/Greenwich ... But I didn't apply for any and I feel like I am suffering because of me rushing my application :frown:

No they are not...they are basically like the same thing through all uni's
For my firm choice- Nottingham trent
Insurance- Southampton Solent

I really wanted to go Kingston, but they didn't accept me after the interview. Now I wouldn't mind going to hertfordshire/birmingham/Manchester/Greenwich ... But I didn't apply for any and I feel like I am suffering because of me rushing my application :frown:

No they are not...they are basically like the same thing through all uni's

You could either withdraw your offers now and apply through extra, or wait for results day so you can enter adjustment or clearing
I applied for unis and didn't want to go to them (I didn't research them enough, nor did I look at the course much). I'm now on a gap year, and have got into universities, and courses, that I prefer much more. But, just in case, I did stick with my UCAS and just emailed the uni in September saying I couldn't go there.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a year out :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by cherryred90s
You could either withdraw your offers now and apply through extra, or wait for results day so you can enter adjustment or clearing

Oh okay, which one would you recommend?
Reply 19
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
I applied for unis and didn't want to go to them (I didn't research them enough, nor did I look at the course much). I'm now on a gap year, and have got into universities, and courses, that I prefer much more. But, just in case, I did stick with my UCAS and just emailed the uni in September saying I couldn't go there.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a year out :smile:

Spoiler

Taking a year gap is not an option for me, at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending