The Student Room Group

a joke gone too far

You know, if you laugh at something for long enough, it becomes funny. It doesn’t matter what it is, a book, a joke, a TV show, a movie. An aspie, a poof, a Negro, a trannie.

Because as long as you’re laughing with your friends, it doesn’t matter who you’ve hurt, who you’ve humiliated. There will always be that wonderful kick you get from mocking them; like a precious reward.

It’s essential, though, that you’re with your friends when you’re making the jokes. A joke, no matter how funny it is, will never be the same without an audience laughing with you.

If you’re new to the joke, you won’t understand. You’ll be confused, because you’re outside of something so hilarious. But you don’t think it’s funny, you think it’s nasty. How can something so cruel be told as a joke? It won’t make sense to you how they genuinely laugh, snigger and chortle with malice.

If you’re deemed as normal, they might even let you in on the joke. That’s the tipping point. Soon, you’ll forget you ever questioned the joke. It becomes as funny to you as it is to them. So then what happens? You become one of them. And maybe, just maybe, you might build up enough self-esteem to create your own jokes. Once you’ve reached this point, there’s no going back.

It’s vital your jokes match your peers’ standards. Because now you’re in, you have to stay in. There’s no chance of escape now. The only thing you can do is absorb yourself in the joke, always forgetting the person behind it.

You’ll notice as your jokes multiply, your world changes. The admirers of your joke change the power of your speech over them suddenly becomes impossibly influential. Your teachers change too, ever so gradually, to the point of toleration. The joke is starting to dawn on them. Soon, even they’ll be laughing. You know it’s only a matter of time.

Even the jokes themselves change; they evolve, mutate. But out of everything, it’s you who changes the most. Because you, yourself will always be your biggest influencer.

With the joke, your whole world becomes distorted. All of a sudden, it rains constantly. Big translucent drops with their never ending pitter patter. Eventually, you’ll never see the sun again. Not that you’ll care; only the joke really matters now.

But it just gets worse.

Your perception of people becomes ugly, deformed. They become nothing to you but big walking jokes, just pure bait waiting to be caught. Their personalities, characteristics and charisma mean nothing to you; they become twisted and warped.

As you grow older, an audience no longer becomes a necessity. Because you have the joke, all to yourself and it can never escape you now.

...And that was what Danny Myers, an autistic, black homosexual boy, thought as he watched Jimmy’s gang approach him, penknives clenched in their hands. But that was okay. Because he understood. And he forgave.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there we are. My story. IN COMIC SANS (!)

Critical comments are very much welcomed; be as honest as you like.

Hey, @Axel Johann (i'm such a novice on this website I can't tag, I merely "mention" people. so there you go.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
It all started with a single joke...

:smile: really nice piece, though quite sad. It reads like a life story, and it makes you wonder, which is always great to see.

Just one thing I noticed:

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
All of a sudden, it rains constantly.

All of *the sudden?
Original post by Dohaeris
It all started with a single joke...

:smile: really nice piece, though quite sad. It reads like a life story, and it makes you wonder, which is always great to see.

Just one thing I noticed:

All of *the sudden?

Really appreciate that, thank you.

Hm, I didn't even notice there was a difference between "the sudden" and "a sudden".

I'll research it and check I've got the right "sudden".

Cheers for the feedback, bub!
Comic Sans :eek:

Very insightful into the high school social climate so to speak. How people are sucked into it and are indeed changed by wanting to be part of it all and not wanting to be left out.

I'm glad to say I rejected that path before I got sucked into that! :biggrin:

I really enjoyed this Ziggy :woo:
Original post by Axel Johann
Comic Sans :eek:

Very insightful into the high school social climate so to speak. How people are sucked into it and are indeed changed by wanting to be part of it all and not wanting to be left out.

I'm glad to say I rejected that path before I got sucked into that! :biggrin:

I really enjoyed this Ziggy :woo:

Thank you, Axel.
Reply 5
BEAUTIFUL piece I LOVED it very eye opening, and kinda life changing..? You were born to write :wink:
That was amazing OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending