The Student Room Group

Court stops circumcision.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting
Not to discriminate against the Shias, I believe they think it is compulsory.

Ah, I failed to ask childofthesun the obvious follow-up question. This is why I don't study law. :sigh:

@childofthesun, sorry if this is too personal (and you don't have to answer if you don't want to), but would you decide to circumcise your future hypothetical son(s), if it wasn't medically necessary? :holmes:
And circumcision hurts the person if is being done to. If you doubt me, just use a pair of scissors to make a little snick in your foreskin, and then get back to me. Oh, of course, you can't.

As with most surgical procedures, they do use anaesthesia to numb the area...

If you have no experience of having a foreskin, how can you make a judgement as to the effect of its removal on your life?

So we can only make judgements about things we have personally experienced? Have you been circumcised?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, I failed to ask childofthesun the obvious follow-up question. This is why I don't study law. :sigh:

@childofthesun, sorry if this is too personal (and you don't have to answer if you don't want to), but would you decide to circumcise your future hypothetical son(s), if it wasn't medically necessary? :holmes:

I'm unsure
Reply 483
Original post by childofthesun

I made no such argument, so I don't know what you're talking about? There is evidence that points towards health benefits, and at the same time there is contradictory evidence, which is why I said there's no definite conclusion. I never once said that circumcision objectively has health benefits.

So, as you say that there is no definitive conclusion, the sensible decision would be not to make any irremediable choice.
Reply 484
Original post by cherryred90s

My best friend who had a circumcision for medical reasons could not walk for three weeks because of the pain.

Pain outlasts anesthesia.
Original post by Josb
My best friend who had a circumcision for medical reasons could not walk for three weeks because of the pain.

Thats the reason why people do it when he is young, less painful.
Reply 486
Original post by HucktheForde

Babies don't feel pain?
Original post by HucktheForde

Yeah, and also he can't object if you're doing it for absolutely no reason.
Original post by Josb
Babies don't feel pain?

No its less painful. Maybe because babies penis foreskin are not fully developed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yeah, and also he can't object if you're doing it for absolutely no reason.

Unfortunately that is also a problem. Performing circumcision on babies also mean the child don't get to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb

My nephew was circumcised as a baby. He was a little tender when changing his nappy (which is completely normal) but that subsided in a matter of days..

no not necessarily. It's dependent on many factors.
My nephew was circumcised as a baby. He was a little tender when changing his nappy (which is completely normal) but that subsided in a matter of days..

no not necessarily. It's dependent on many factors.

Well anaesthesia will be less time than pain 'cause anaesthesia only lasts marginally longer than the operation. Analgesia to control the pain from thereon in taken regularly obviously can cover a longer period of pain relief.

It also depends on the success of the circumcision. As with any surgical operation there is the risk of mortality and risks of complications. Circumcision has a relatively low complication risk and a very low mortality rate. However you can argue that as a strictly unnecessary intervention in almost every case (there are various medical conditions that can be solved via circumcision, usually as an adult), every single complication and death from circumcision is completely avoidable.

oh right, and that makes MGM just a-okay ethically, doesn't it?
seriously: why can't you just think morally for once in your life? why can't you just be moral? I don't understand
if I was saying this about FGM you'd be outraged and baffled. I am just as baffled about your justifications of MGM
but you're saying that the male gender should/can be mutilated at birth, whereas *I'm* not saying that for your gender.
this is purely a demonstration of cultural misandry. you are offering no other explanation. the justification isn't scientific (as you've suggested a few days ago). it's cultural.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BubbleBoobies
oh right, and that makes MGM just a-okay ethically, doesn't it?
seriously: why can't you just think morally for once in your life? why can't you just be moral? I don't understand
if I was saying this about FGM you'd be outraged and baffled. I am just as baffled about your justifications of MGM
but you're saying that my gender should/can be mutilated at birth, whereas *I'm* not saying that for your gender.
this is purely a demonstration of cultural misandry. you are offering no other explanation. the justification isn't scientific (as you've suggested a few days ago). it's cultural.

If you bothered to read the conversation before ranting, you'd see that I was simply informing him that the pain from circumcision is significantly reduced due to the use of an anaesthetic, since he appeared to be under the impression that nothing is used to numb the area.

I have explained my reasonings several times throughout this long thread, not that I needed to.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you bothered to read the conversation before ranting, you'd see that I was simply informing him that the pain from circumcision is significantly reduced due to the use of an anaesthetic, since he appeared to be under the impression that nothing is used to numb the area.

right, so what if FGM was done under anaesthetic then? see, why are you even referring to this as if this is significant? it fails to justify it so why even bother?
right, so what if FGM was done under anaesthetic then? see, why are you even referring to this as if this is significant? it fails to justify it so why even bother?

I referred to it because someone previously made a comment that circumcision has to 'obviously' be very painful because we wouldn't be able to conduct it at home on our own without being in excruciating pain. This isn't true. (That's like saying getting your tooth pulled would obviously be painful because we wouldn't be able to do it painlessly without medical intervention, but if it were conducted by a dentist, they would numb the area so you wouldn't feel it.) Anyway, I then informed him that the procedure wouldn't actually be that painful because an anaesthetic is used.

Even if FGM was conducted under anaesthetic in a clean and sterile environment, the risks would still be substantial. I already explained that earlier on.

Seriously, read the comments already posted before annoying me with repetitive questions.
1) even with anasthetic, they still feel pain. how powerful do you take this anasthetic to be? :| like I told you the other day, even with the anasthetic, some babes scream so hard via the circumcision pain that they blow out their lungs

Did I say they won't feel pain?
You can't really conclude that the pain from the circumcision itself is what causes them to 'blow out their lungs'. It could be that they are being temporarily cared for by someone that they're unfamiliar with, it could be that they're startled from being laid down in an unfamiliar environment, it could be the temperature of the numbing cream, it could be that some babies naturally cry more than others. It could be a combination of all of those factors.

with a result of reduced sexual pleasure.

Can't confirm this either. There are too many variables.
it's the violation of the child's right to determine their own religion in the future too, seeing as a circumcision is essentially the branding of a child, forever (medically speaking), as a jew, or as a muslim (etc).

Not true. Being circumcised doesn't mean you're bound to religion forever. That's not a requirement. There are religious people who are not circumcised just like there are non religious people who are. Religious parents will subconsciously raise their child in a similar environment that they were raised in. That doesn't make them bad parents. It means they're raising the child in the best way that they feel/the best way that they know. It doesn't just boil down to circumcision. It's everything. The food they eat, the clothes they wear, the friends they have, the social activities they're a part of etc. That is their right as a parent. As a stranger, as long as the children are well taken care of, it's really none of your business.

no. you're only saying this because it's not practised in societies that have professional or hygienic medical environments. there's nothing inherently worse than cutting off, say, the labia minora, than cutting off the foreskin. that is a *type* of FGM.

Again, revert back.

nah - that's your burden. I shouldn't be expected to ****ing trace you.

Then don't quote me. Nobody asked you to.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't really conclude that the pain from the circumcision itself is what causes them to 'blow out their lungs'. It could be that they are being temporarily cared for by someone that they're unfamiliar with, it could be that they're startled from being laid down in an unfamiliar environment, it could be the temperature of the numbing cream, it could be that some babies naturally cry more than others. It could be a combination of all of those factors.

Not true. Being circumcised doesn't mean you're bound to religion forever. That's not a requirement. There are religious people who are not circumcised just like there are non religious people who are. Religious parents will subconsciously raise their child in a similar environment that they were raised in. That doesn't make them bad parents. It means they're raising the child in the best way that they feel/the best way that they know. It doesn't just boil down to circumcision. It's everything. The food they eat, the clothes they wear, the friends they have, the social activities they're a part of etc. That is their right as a parent. As a stranger, as long as the children are well taken care of, it's really none of your business.

Again, revert back.

So you're taking your chances with your child's life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, revert back.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Just admit you're trying to justify what happened to you or someone close to you.

It's sickening people try find a reason to justify violating a child's body. Remember the ideas behind consent? If for example you consciously have sex with a plastered person, it's rape / sexual assault.

Same principle here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can say no.

You needn't perpetuate the status quo.
(edited 7 years ago)
well you obviously implied it, unless you're saying that inflicting any pain upon babies for basically no reason is okay

I didn't imply anything. You assumed.
yeah, so why do they begin to scream so hard only when the MGM is beginning? do you want me to give you a youtube link or something? :| you sound like you don't know what goes on at all.

Actually, not that it's any of your business, I was present at my nephews circumsion, so I do know what goes on. He didn't 'blow his lungs out'.
...yes you can confirm this. it's only because you're a girl that you're saying this to be honest. ask any uncircumcised man if he thought that having no foreskin would eventually desensitise his penis and he'd very likely tell you "yes, probably". the more exposure the glans get, the less sensitive they become. that's why the glans are extremely sensitive until boys begin masturbating.

No you can't confirm it. You can assume all you like but there's a reason why it has never been confirmed. With any study that claims that sensitivity is reduced, there'll be another study that concludes the opposite. This is because each individual is different, you cannot know for certain whether their level of sensitivity is only influenced by being circumcised. Not to mention that perception of sensitivity differs, so what you define as sensitive may differ to what is define as sensitive. My point is that you can't reliably measure sensitivity, it's subjective and down to individual difference.

I said "medically speaking". medically speaking, it is a symbol that you are a jew or muslim as a mere infant. sure, ideologically they can change their minds, but they cannot reverse the fact that they had a religious circumcision.

No it's not. Not everyone is circumcised for religious reasons.
and I don't give a **** if parents think that evil is good. that doesn't justify evil. that wouldn't justify nazism simply because hitler didn't understand that what he was doing was evil. this is a ****ing terrible argument you're attempting. it basically justifies anything.

I clearly said tha as long as the child is well looked after, it's none of your business. What does that have to do with nazism? There's no correlation.

no. again, it;s your problem not mine (Y)

I'm ignoring anything you ask that I've already answered since you can't be bothered to read before ranting.

I'll quote you when I can see your ****ing messages?

you're annoying :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending