The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Hello, this question is open to everyone and basically wondering people's views if they believe in a God/creator or of different faith or agnostic or atheist etc and also why you believe in what you believe in! This for RS views which will be most helpful. Thank you

Thank you all! For your comments - really interesting. I myself am a Christian and do believe in a God. But in the end if there is no God (which I don't believe to be true) then, it's not like we missed out cause we won't no any better would we cause we would be dead. But if there is a God and people haven chosen ignore him then, it could possibly result in no afterlife or in medieval teaching - eternal damnation. Also another belief which I have found interesting is the concept that maybe Muslims, Christians and other faiths of monotheism are believing in the same God. That maybe in the end if there is a God he is the same for us all and there is no separate heavan etc and afterlife but rather it was taught differently to different people so that they can understand. But we may find out one day!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nah fam
I've gone from militant atheism to agnosticism in a relatively short space of time.

I can see myself embracing Christianity in coming years though. That's the only religion I'd be inclined to follow.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know.
nope - it is a personified representation of human ignorance, manifesting itself via the culture that a society upholds.
aha.. i do...
world is so complex- everything is well designed and set up perfectly... surely there is someone who did this :yes:
I do not believe in God but I am scared of him
(my teacher quoted somebody saying that but I do not remember)
Original post by fatima1998
aha.. i do...
world is so complex- everything is well designed and set up perfectly... surely there is someone who did this :yes:

and do you also believe that the wind blows on a windy day because a giant is farting on the other side of the world...? it's the same idea, but on a smaller scale.
I'm agnostic, I'm open to the idea of there being some kind of otherworldly entity somewhere that may well have created us but I definitely don't think they would be related to any one religion or be as judgemental and ruthless as religion make them out to be
Reply 9
aha.. i do...

Agreed :yy:
Nope, to me it is totally stupid.
Makes no sense at all, it is on the level of people who believe that lizards run the planet but sadly these cults are more tolerated
Original post by BubbleBoobies
and do you also believe that the wind blows on a windy day because a giant is farting on the other side of the world...? it's the same idea, but on a smaller scale.

i am not here to argue... this thread is open to all believers... cba to argue right now!
if you are an atheist then i respect your opinion :yes:
Original post by HAnwar
Agreed :yy:

:five:
aha.. i do...

Or we are just so lucky and coincidental, that explains why we took so long to evolve and how we got so complex
Original post by BubbleBoobies
nope - it is a personified representation of human ignorance, manifesting itself via the culture that a society upholds.

Christianity as a religion gave us more than anything else ever could. A structured, good set of morals, art, literature, law, the church had a hand in Magna Carta, the most amazing architecture in the world, a united population behind one belief, the list is endless.

As I said, I'm still agnostic for the most part, but denying that Christianity has had a good and moral influence on our society is ludicrous.
Not. If you're looking for quantifiable results, it might be helpful to add a poll, @Aaron2515. Though bear in mind that the demographics here are naturally skewed towards fairly young people.

aha.. i do...

The design argument has been refuted to the ends of the universe and back. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Christianity as a religion gave us more than anything else ever could. A structured, good set of morals, art, literature, law, the church had a hand in Magna Carta, the most amazing architecture in the world, a united population behind one belief, the list is endless.

does that suggest that god exists though? the enlightenment took western religion and spat out a skeleton - religion pretty much, in this era, means nothing. it's a vague set of ideas that aren't even held onto particularly tightly. christians these days by a majority don't even believe in most of the things the bible says.

As I said, I'm still agnostic for the most part, but denying that Christianity has had a good and moral influence on our society is ludicrous.

do you really think that christianity is a unique and outstanding religion in the sense that the doctrines it prescribes couldn't be reproduced if they were forgotten tomorrow? christianity's ideas of "love thy neighbour" and "do unto others" are basically common sense. in terms of the 10 commandments, only about 3 of those actually apply to modern society. and "thou shall not kill" isn't something a person would require christianity to understand, right? seeing as buddhists aren't more homicidal than theists
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Not. If you're looking for quantifiable results, it might be helpful to add a poll, @Aaron2515.

The design argument has been refuted to the ends of the universe and back. :tongue:

ontological argument proves god exists
paley's watch proves some sort of evidence...
but its more about your own life experience, if you feel the presence of the God then its your own experience if not then its your own experience :tongue:
i dont really believe in these arguments - i believe what i have experienced.
Yes. I believe in God. The world is so naturally beautiful and a real marvel to look at- something this complex and which works so beautifully can't just have come from nothing. Likewise, we, as humans, are so complex biologically and this must have been created by God, not just randomly appeared out of nowhere. Also, I have faith, which is what matters.
As I'm an atheist it's a firm no.

I'm open to the idea that other living species look down at billions of us, the way we look down at millions of ants in a nest or bacteria through a microscope for example.
everything is well designed and set up perfectly...

our bodies have more flaws than can be counted

http://nautil.us/issue/24/error/top-10-design-flaws-in-the-human-body

hardly what i would call 'intelligent' design.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending