The Student Room Group

What do you look for in a gym?

My situation is that i've been out for a year and a half due to an unfortunate accident. I dislocated my shoulder during an epileptic fit. i'm ok now and taking medication, but i'm starting again. I'm gonna do Starting Strength, get my nutrition in check to get myself back into things and get my strength back. My first battle is finding an ideal gym.

It's amazing how few gyms there are near me, which is depressing (lots of gyms in nearby cities that are pretty far). I could stick with my university gym, which is cheap, though the weights selection isn't amazing, but ok. The main problem is i have to travel for an hour to get to the place (i don't drive which means two train journeys to get there)

I could train in a place near me that has relatively good weights, but is near a council estate and is well cliquey from my visit last time and is full of knob heads (not commenting on the level of skill, guys seem passionate about what they do to be fair). I felt intimidated throughout my whole workout, like i was being stared down at, lots of people in there i already hate, plus the staff weren't that friendly and talked to me like i was a total dickhead. It's convenient though, but it's depressing and not being in a place that makes me feel miserable is important. It would be perfect withiut the horrible clientele.

There's also a gym in the town centre closest to me, but it's not on my route anywhere (to work or uni) and because i'm so busy and don't have a car it's a pain in the ass. Plus the weights selection isn't that good (but a bit better than the uni gym). The atmosphere is pretty good though with lots of friendly guys about.

What do you look for in a gym? Obvs the selection of weights, enough squatting racks, cleanliness and price are important to me, but the atmosphere and friendliness is important to me as well.

Would you just give in and just try and cope with the unfriendly estate gym? Obvs i'm trying to save up and move to the 'big city'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does it have a power rack?
Does it have more than 1 barbell?
Does it have >200kg+++ of weight?
Are the plates of normal size?
Are the people who train there serious lifters?
Is it a chain? (If so, nope nope nope)

That'd be most of my concerns tbh
Original post by Angry cucumber

Thats the problem with the gym nearest to me. Serious lifters in there and not a chain, but i don't like the atmosphere whatsoever and the clientele and i just don't feel welcome. I suppose you expect that in a rough area though. I know i sound like a bit of a puff, but before my accident when i lived out of the area in another gym the friendly atmosphere, diverse range of clients really helped me improve. I should probably just ignore all that and go in there and do my thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I find it hard to generalise because a perfect gym is rare so it's about the balance. Like my old gym was so full of dickheads I'm amazed I never snapped at someone but the equipment was perfect, when it started to get ****ed and not fixed and the gym got busier it stopped being worth it.

I think about location and opening hours, if it's a logistical problem then it's not getting considered. It needs to have the min equipment I need to do my core lifts. The equipment needs to be of a certain standard, not perfect but good enough- I'm a bit of a bar snob, I'd never used anything but elieko and texas bars for my first two years or so of lifting so I can't deal with utter ****. It needs to not be too busy, I'm not a particularly patient person, standing around for more than a few mins will annoy me if it becomes a regular occurrence. Can I deadlift without any silly business about chalk or banging- again not patient enough for that. Can I bench in a rack with safties at the right height or can I get a decent spot- I've had past issues with bros not being able to let go of the bar.

Then secondary is stuff like does it have extra equipment that I don't need but like. Does it have space for me to do some martial arts stuff. Is it friendly, I once trained at a council gym mostly full of old people who were all very nice and never got in my way of caused me hassle-they don't need to be proper lifters, just not dickheads.
If they have a cross trailer I'm sorted. As long as it has alright people and is kept clean, has people but not too busy, and is safe to travel to and from... all's good!

This, essentially.

But to add: are you allowed to use chalk or lift weights off the ground (e.g. deadlifts)? Ideally, there would be platforms to use for this purpose.

Unfortunately, it mainly seems to be university gyms that are equipped in such manner, with the odd private facility too.
Reply 6
Not all chain gyms are bad. I trained at a Lifestyle Fitness which was once a Virgin Active (which is expensive but good) and it was the one that was good but full of dickheads. I trained at a lot of Anytime Fitness branches in Australia and Singapore and they were all decent, some were really good and the one that just opened in Manchester looks about the same from the outside.
Original post by BKS
Not all chain gyms are bad. I trained at a Lifestyle Fitness which was once a Virgin Active (which is expensive but good) and it was the one that was good but full of dickheads. I trained at a lot of Anytime Fitness branches in Australia and Singapore and they were all decent, some were really good and the one that just opened in Manchester looks about the same from the outside.

Where about in Manchester??
Reply 8
Original post by Squishy•
Where about in Manchester??

if you come out Piccadilly and cross the foot bridge then it's there in the bottom of one of those office buildings

If you are a uni of or MMU student you should check out the aquatics centre first. Nothing wrong with Sugden either, just a bit small. They are probably less out your way
A sauna and good dance theme classes
Mirrors to gawp at myself in

Yes! No hippy hexagon plates that I've seen in some American gyms I.e Planet
Fitness, where members are rewarded pizza after working out :laugh:

You forgot to add:
1) Are you allowed to use chalk?
2) How many benches are there?
3) Peak hours?
4) opening hours?
5) Wifi access point?
6) Atmosphere in the gym?

etc.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yes! No hippy hexagon plates that I've seen in some American gyms I.e Planet
Fitness, where members are rewarded pizza after working out :laugh:

You forgot to add:
1) Are you allowed to use chalk?
2) How many benches are there?
3) Peak hours?
4) opening hours?
5) Wifi access point?
6) Atmosphere in the gym?

etc.

1) is ideal but straps exist so it's not a major problem. But fairs
2) I've never been in a gym where this is a problem
3) Why does that matter? You choose your gym on peak hours?! They're all 5-6:30 lolz
4) fairs
5) bruh 3g/4g
6) Hardcore gyms are so rare. Im lucky to live near on of 3 in the entirety of Devon lol :tongue: But yeah, who cares if you have the rest. You make your own atmosphere B)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enough plates, enough racks, proper platforms, 24 hours, strongman equipment is cool (prowler,farmer walk bars), pullup and dips station, concept2 rowers. A swimming pool but not sure if that counts? (University centre ftw :colone: )

Are there actually gyms that don't let you use chalk lol?
(edited 7 years ago)
Good equipment to do strength training in, check the treadmills do incline, if its close by (so I can maybe jog there and back)
Booty.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Enough plates, enough racks, proper platforms, 24 hours, strongman equipment is cool (prowler,farmer walk bars), pullup and dips station, concept2 rowers. A swimming pool but not sure if that counts? (University centre ftw :colone: )

Are there actually gyms that don't let you use chalk lol?

Yeah, mainly commerical gyms.

University gyms are generally the best cost effective wise and majority of the times
have every single equipment to use but the only downside is that is mainly packed 24/7. :sigh: :shot:

Forget swimming! Hello stair master! (when cutting) :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yeah, mainly commerical gyms.

University gyms are generally the best cost effective wise and majority of the times
have every single equipment to use but the only downside is that is mainly packed 24/7. :sigh: :shot:

Forget swimming! Hello stair master! (when cutting) :biggrin:

Man I love swimming, I do it even on a bulk :p: :biggrin:

This is my gym, nice and cosy, very eclectic group of guys that train, really homely atmosphere and can show up any time of the year unless its Ramadan then it stops being 24 hours, but bank holidays nobody gives a f*** :rofl:

[video="youtube;K14-HWyR1Ts"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14-HWyR1Ts[/video]
1) is ideal but straps exist so it's not a major problem. But fairs
2) I've never been in a gym where this is a problem
3) Why does that matter? You choose your gym on peak hours?! They're all 5-6:30 lolz
4) fairs
5) bruh 3g/4g
6) Hardcore gyms are so rare. Im lucky to live near on of 3 in the entirety of Devon lol :tongue: But yeah, who cares if you have the rest. You make your own atmosphere B)

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) I don't like using straps. Chalk = :heart: + callus ftw :biggrin:
2) It is depending upon the times you go to work out etc.
3) Fair enough.
4) Its important because If you want to get a workout before your lectures or
late night after revision etc.
5) Some hippy commercial gym I went to before had WIFI access but the
signal was only strong enough to connect near the cardio area and the minute
you got near the weights section the wifi signal cut off. *grabs the rope*
6) Fair enough, but my argument was people with similar interests/goals.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Man I love swimming, I do it even on a bulk :p: :biggrin:

This is my gym, nice and cosy, very eclectic group of guys that train, really homely atmosphere and can show up any time of the year unless its Ramadan then it stops being 24 hours, but bank holidays nobody gives a f*** :rofl:

[video="youtube;K14-HWyR1Ts"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14-HWyR1Ts[/video]

Ah, fair enough! :smile:

I get that. That gym says its in Birmingham and I thought you were at Warwick or
something? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest