The Student Room Group

Somebody that I used to know - don't change for anyone

So this thread is about me. Lol - surprising isn't it.

It's basically my life story but it has an important message. And a caveat before you read this. I know TSR. I am TSR. I've been here since I was a little year 11. I've graduated through all the forums - GCSE, ALevels, Oxbridge, H&R - I've faced all the same struggles and had all the same experiences. So when I make these threads I hope that it strikes a chord with some young Awesome Genius somewhere on the conveyor belt.

---

So this evening I was listening to that song "somebody that I used to know". I hate listening to that song. I put it on when I loose someone - the end of a relationship or friendship.

I want to talk about three particular relationships / friendships I have had, that I have lost.

The first was at school. This was epic and every 17 year olds dream. Before I was fat at uni, I was pretty hot. I used to have good luck with girls. Lucy was one of those really hot short girls with massive boobs. For me it was one big **** *** to all the rugby players and other bastard-types in sixth form - that a guy doing further maths could have such a hot girlfriend. We used to sneak home during free periods and have sex - she was my first time too. And the look I used to get from my friends and other people at school on returning with a giant grin on my face, made it so worth while! Basically this relationship fell apart because Lucy wanted me to stay in London for university. There was not a chance in hell I was going to turn down Oxbridge for London. I said we could make it work long-distance But you could tell she was upset that she I refused her request for me to stay in London - so she dumped me in about 2 months. I was devastated. I put on weight etc etc I didn't have another proper girlfriend for about 5 years.

The second one was in Birmingham. This was the Danish girl. She had a boyfriend whom she cheated on to be with me for a while. I think this girl was my "first love" - whereas Lucy had been my first time, I didn't love her, I just loved the concept of her and how cool it made me look. With Danish girl, we didn't do anything sexual for a long time and even through that phase I was hooked to this girl. I really really really liked her. This fell apart because she kept me waiting. She wanted to have more and more time in which she could slowly leave her boyfriend and be with me. She wanted me to wait around, not text her at certain times, and all this BS. Again, I was not putting up with that. In my mind if she loved me she should have left her boyfriend on the spot. We argued a lot and eventually just stopped talking to each other.

And finally, I met someone recently I dearly liked too. Not in the same way as above but this was one of the most intelligent girls I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. Sadly she hated my attitude and general philosophy on life and again we drifted apart.

Anyway my message in all of this is that I believe you shouldn't change yourself to meet what other people want. You are unique and you should stay unique. In all of these cases, this philosophy has brought me significant sadness. Yet, I believe that these relationships were doomed from the start. If someone doesn't respect you enough to accept your choices and personality then you are going to fall apart at some time. If you try and make changes to yourself and the way you operate, the relationship will probably end and on top of that you will loose confidence and doubt yourself.

One day I will find someone who I will get along with and I won't need to change myself to please them. I am confident of this. I can't be sure, but I am confident.

Never change, stay true to yourself and keep going.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow! I don't really know what to say! But wow!

Oh and the third girl is Nympho?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
AG should star in his own Bollywood film.
Reply 3
I stopped reading after "It's basically my life story".
Lmao I know who the third girl is :rofl:

And damn, little Lucy, send her my way :sexface:
Original post by Lil08
I stopped reading after "It's basically my life story".

Don't lie
Interesting
Original post by Awesome Genius

It's basically my life story but it has an important message. And a caveat before you read this. I know TSR. I am TSR. I've been here since I was a little year 11. I've graduated through all the forums - GCSE, ALevels, Oxbridge, H&R - I've faced all the same struggles and had all the same experiences. So when I make these threads I hope that it strikes a chord with some young Awesome Genius somewhere on the conveyor belt.

---

So this evening I was listening to that song "somebody that I used to know". I hate listening to that song. I put it on when I loose someone - the end of a relationship or friendship.

I want to talk about three particular relationships / friendships I have had, that I have lost.

The first was at school. This was epic and every 17 year olds dream. Before I was fat at uni, I was pretty hot. I used to have good luck with girls. Lucy was one of those really hot short girls with massive boobs. For me it was one big **** *** to all the rugby players and other bastard-types in sixth form - that a guy doing further maths could have such a hot girlfriend. We used to sneak home during free periods and have sex - she was my first time too. And the look I used to get from my friends and other people at school on returning with a giant grin on my face, made it so worth while! Basically this relationship fell apart because Lucy wanted me to stay in London for university. There was not a chance in hell I was going to turn down Oxbridge for London. I said we could make it work long-distance But you could tell she was upset that she I refused her request for me to stay in London - so she dumped me in about 2 months. I was devastated. I put on weight etc etc I didn't have another proper girlfriend for about 5 years.

The second one was in Birmingham. This was the Danish girl. She had a boyfriend whom she cheated on to be with me for a while. I think this girl was my "first love" - whereas Lucy had been my first time, I didn't love her, I just loved the concept of her and how cool it made me look. With Danish girl, we didn't do anything sexual for a long time and even through that phase I was hooked to this girl. I really really really liked her. This fell apart because she kept me waiting. She wanted to have more and more time in which she could slowly leave her boyfriend and be with me. She wanted me to wait around, not text her at certain times, and all this BS. Again, I was not putting up with that. In my mind if she loved me she should have left her boyfriend on the spot. We argued a lot and eventually just stopped talking to each other.

And finally, I met someone recently I dearly liked too. Not in the same way as above but this was one of the most intelligent girls I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. Sadly she hated my attitude and general philosophy on life and again we drifted apart.

Anyway my message in all of this is that I believe you shouldn't change yourself to meet what other people want. You are unique and you should stay unique. In all of these cases, this philosophy has brought me significant sadness. Yet, I believe that these relationships were doomed from the start. If someone doesn't respect you enough to accept your choices and personality then you are going to fall apart at some time. If you try and make changes to yourself and the way you operate, the relationship will probably end and on top of that you will loose confidence and doubt yourself.

One day I will find someone who I will get along with and I won't need to change myself to please them. I am confident of this. I can't be sure, but I am confident.

dude, I was gonna post something similar on my blog tomorrow (what is it with TSR users posting things I am thinking of before I post it:|)

---

well this is ****ing awkward lol, i cant remember how much of this is lies and how much is truth.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

I pop onto this site like once a week and even I know who the third girl is
Reply 10
woyyy AG flipped

nice life story
Wow. You're right, no one should have to change who they are. They should just be you, and if the person they're with doesn't respect that, then that's their loss.

Thanks AG.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

oh, damn this is doubly awks then lel.
This is not relating to you or what you've written but more of a general statement - but I think that in relationships, people should think about what's gone wrong and try to work on the things that are objectively 'bad' about themselves, and the good bits are the bits that they 'shouldn't change'.

On a lighter note, don't go changin', to try and please me. You never let me down before.

---

wtf is this an essay?

---

p.s youre such a puss, when i said go one of two ways i knew 100% you were gna go down this route :colonhash: now go become a rep beg like everyone will laud you as lol.

Except you didn't actually "meet" her. Did you meet the 'Danish girl'? :holmes:

@Ethereal World - Jo misses you. :mmm:
Original post by slipper flipper
Except you didn't actually "meet" her. Did you meet the 'Danish girl'? :holmes:

@Ethereal World - Jo misses you. :mmm:

We did meet.
Original post by Ethereal World
We did meet.

:curious:

When?

Not too long ago I remember you posting saying you only met one person from TSR... :holmes:
Original post by welcometoib
p.s youre such a puss, when i said go one of two ways i knew 100% you were gna go down this route :colonhash: now go become a rep beg like everyone will laud you as lol.

well this is ****ing awkward lol, i cant remember how much of this is lies and how much is truth.

oh, damn this is doubly awks then lel.

Do you know the OP? Are you one of the girls? :holmes:

Latest