The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I went to an all boys school. There are only 17+ girls and I have had more pressing priorities.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I went to an all boys school. There are only 17+ girls and I have had more pressing priorities.

Completely understandable
Reply 3
Original post by AngryRedhead
I apologise in advance if this comes across as rude or insensitive but, barring cases where you went to a single gender secondary school, how does someone get to, like, 18 or 19 and not manage to get a boyfriend or girlfriend? I was a total dork in high school but even I managed to get a boyfriend at 15.

yeah i dunno like in my case i just thought whats the point it aint gonna last realistically i would be wasting my time on someone not special when i could be focussing on a levels
i kind of think a lot of ppl leave it till uni where they believe they will find the right one
i also went to all girls school
Man's single because like no one can handle my 9 incher ygm fam?

Spoiler

Maybe some of the more quiet, reserved people in mixed-sex schools actually focus more on their work and hobbies than see life as some kind of shagging contest (and thus ignore those who laugh at them for not joining in)
Original post by MevMev
yeah i dunno like in my case i just thought whats the point it aint gonna last realistically i would be wasting my time on someone not special when i could be focussing on a levels
i kind of think a lot of ppl leave it till uni where they believe they will find the right one
i also went to all girls school

Weren't you curious though? Arguably probably the easiest time to have a relationship because GCSE's would have been easy and not much adult responsibility.
Perhaps they don't want one?
Perhaps they haven't met anyone they're comfortable with?
Perhaps they're too shy?
Perhaps they're too busy for one?

There's a multitude of reasons which I'm sure you could've worked out?

I presume you mean an actual relationship as opposed to teenage nonsense which the vast majority of the time means absolutely nothing.
Reply 8
well

i don't like anyone at my school

they're not v nice ppl

school work for life ini
Never been a pressing concern.
I apologise in advance if this comes across as rude or insensitive but, barring cases where you went to a single gender secondary school, how does someone get to, like, 18 or 19 and not manage to get a boyfriend or girlfriend? I was a total dork in high school but even I managed to get a boyfriend at 15.

I went to a all boys secondary school & the 6th form college I went to had girls that
weren't my type I.e going out 24/7 and just too much hassle.

Majority of the people around that age(17-19) are finding themselves as a person and don't want to have the extra hassle of another person on their shoulders.
Original post by shawn_o1
Maybe some of the more quiet, reserved people in mixed-sex schools actually focus more on their work and hobbies than see life as some kind of shagging contest

I still had income coming in and my GCSE grades were in the top 5 of our year in secondary school. I even picked up two awards :tongue:
Reply 12
oh yeah sure i was
but even with my GCSEs like i had to make sure i had really good grades for my uni course it was honestly so stressful doing like 11 subjects so i kind of cba for bf at the time obvs now things are different
some people at that age are fully focused on you know, important things rather than trivial things and would prefer to start their qualifications/career life off fully intent on starting well. yeah people can balance them but most cant at that age, too emotionally immature yet.
Reply 14
a. never been a priority.
b. too selfish for a relationship
c. can't deal with emotional bs & mind games.
Original post by MevMev
oh yeah sure i was
but even with my GCSEs like i had to make sure i had really good grades for my uni course it was honestly so stressful doing like 11 subjects so i kind of cba for bf at the time obvs now things are different

GCSE's aren't that difficult, you can get A*'s in some subjects without hardly even trying
Reply 16

Financial, family and academic needs have always kept me occupied. I'm either studying all the time, doing sport/gym all the time, making money at work or doing house chores. All that on top of sleeping and endless travelling to uni. Having a bit of fun with a girl is not the issue but I honestly have no time for a girlfriend, I don't see where it will fit in my schedule, and money goes to family before anyone.
Reply 17
Demisexual, I'm not pretty, and the boys in my school didn't view me as a girl, they looked through me. I didn't exist. Meh. I was a nerd, I focused on my schoolwork instead. I had no time or interest or care for such things.

I have a boyfriend now at uni but he's far too good for me. He's too bloody wonderful.

Still a nerd btw, even at uni. :u:
Reply 18
yeah but obviously i didn't know that at the time did i?
i thought if i didn't get my A* it would be the end of the world so just gave it 100%
Original post by welcometoib
some people at that age are fully focused on you know, important things rather than trivial things and would prefer to start their qualifications/career life off fully intent on starting well. yeah people can balance them but most cant at that age, too emotionally immature yet.

It isn't one or the other though, is it? You can still get good grades at school because GCSE's are so easy and still have a relationship and do part time work. It's just a balancing act but I see what you mean about people not being mature enough. What I'm more talking about are the types on here who moan about not having a bf or gf (usually on anon)