The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll have a blast, many muslims seem to.
Reply 2
Original post by techfan42
I'm currently looking at universities for applications in October, and wanted to ask any practicing muslims who have experienced university, how they cope with the lifestyle of drinking, parties, etc without getting influenced or pressured?

hi:smile:
I'm starting uni in September and like sure i was worried about being influenced or tempted into doing things I'm uncomfortable with but i guess if u just stay true to yourself and remember your values then u should be fine and ppl should respect that- there will be a lot of ppl there who don't drink for various reasons not just cultural so dw u should be fine :smile:
Do not get involved simple as that and remember Allah is all knowing. Just do your work.
Original post by MevMev
hi:smile:
I'm starting uni in September and like sure i was worried about being influenced or tempted into doing things I'm uncomfortable with but i guess if u just stay true to yourself and remember your values then u should be fine and ppl should respect that- there will be a lot of ppl there who don't drink for various reasons not just cultural so dw u should be fine :smile:

gonna stay halal hehe

get married to halalify
Chill lmao
Original post by samina_ay
Chill lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're Muslim?! :eek:
Well, i know some people that are muslims and live in accommodation. They tend to just stay in their dorms or hang out with their university mates.
Gotta stay away from the white devils who'll Haraamify you innit :gangster:
Reply 9
You can either be one of those stupid Muslims who gives up their whole religion and starts drinking/clubbing/having sex in the first week of uni because they gave into peer pressure. Or you can stand your ground and refuse to drink alcohol despite how much people will pressure you into trying it. Nobody is stopping you going to club nights without drinking alcohol (I do go to them myself) but be prepared to lose a lot of friends when they all say you're boring because you don't drink. Uni students put alcohol above everything else, they don't know how to enjoy themselves without getting drunk and as a result, no one wants know a person who is sociable but doesn't drink. That makes it very hard to fit in with people who only cement their friendships through alcohol and stupid behaviour on nights out.

I used to go to one or two non-alcohol events every year, plus a few club nights every now and then without drinking alcohol. The rest of the time I keep to myself, watch films and TV shows and perform on stage. If you're Muslim and you want to behave decently at uni, alcohol really isn't important and you can make do with going to other events. Strangely I don't know anyone like me who goes to club nights without drinking - all the other Muslims either drink alcohol themselves (in secret), go to ISoc events where all they do is preach the Qur'an or just stay inside. You'll have to find your own balance and work out what suits you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Key thing is to stay with good company.
Stick to Muslims who avoid the haram lifestyle.
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're Muslim?! :eek:

Well yeah. Why
Original post by samina_ay
Well yeah. Why

Oh no reason just never knew
Original post by techfan42
I'm currently looking at universities for applications in October, and wanted to ask any practicing muslims who have experienced university, how they cope with the lifestyle of drinking, parties, etc without getting influenced or pressured?

My friends know I don't drink, they respect that.

If 'friends' pressure you into doing something you aren't cool with, I wouldn't call them friends at all.
Original post by asif007
You can either be one of those stupid Muslims who gives up their whole religion and starts drinking/clubbing/having sex in the first week of uni because they gave into peer pressure. Or you can stand your ground and refuse to drink alcohol despite how much people will pressure you into trying it. Nobody is stopping you going to club nights without drinking alcohol (I do go to them myself) but be prepared to lose a lot of friends when they all say you're boring because you don't drink. Uni students put alcohol above everything else, they don't know how to enjoy themselves without getting drunk and as a result, no one wants know a person who is sociable but doesn't drink. That makes it very hard to fit in with people who only cement their friendships through alcohol and stupid behaviour on nights out.

I used to go to one or two non-alcohol events every year, plus a few club nights every now and then without drinking alcohol. The rest of the time I keep to myself, watch films and TV shows and perform on stage. If you're Muslim and you want to behave decently at uni, alcohol really isn't important and you can make do with going to other events. Strangely I don't know anyone like me who goes to club nights without drinking - all the other Muslims either drink alcohol themselves (in secret), go to ISoc events where all they do is preach the Qur'an or just stay inside. You'll have to find your own balance and work out what suits you.

I agree with you there. You need to be careful with who you hang around with, some of my college friends have gone down that path....sadly.
Original post by noticemesenpai
I agree with you there. You need to be careful with who you hang around with, some of my college friends have gone down that path....sadly.

Sadly at uni, it's very very difficult to find people who don't drink. Especially when you live in a useless, boring ****-hole Northern city where the only way people know how to have a good time is alcohol and clubbing. It's overwhelming and people will reject you if you don't drink. Maybe not immediately, but slowly and subtly they all grow to resent anyone who doesn't drink. Which is why I don't have many friends in this city now despite how many people I met and got to know really well. I miss my home city and I hate living here. :frown:
Its really sad seeing them go down that path! I tend to cutn ies with them as soon as i find out they ended up doing drugs. But mashallah i have good friends! That know drinking and stuff is not fun xD we tend to go out to eat and stuff! Its a better alternative.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by HAnwar
Key thing is to stay with good company.
Stick to Muslims who avoid the haram lifestyle.

No segregation and all... Looks like it's working. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noticemesenpai
Its really sad seeing them go down that path! I tend to cutn ies with them as soon as i find out they ended up doing drugs. But mashallah i have good friends! That know drinking and stuff is not fun xD we tend to go out to eat and stuff! Its a better alternative.
I don't drink to excess and certainly not to get drunk. Drugs are completely alien to me as is smoking and that is the way it will stay.

There are very many non-Muslim people who make healthy choices too you know.
Original post by asif007
Sadly at uni, it's very very difficult to find people who don't drink. Especially when you live in a useless, boring ****-hole Northern city where the only way people know how to have a good time is alcohol and clubbing. It's overwhelming and people will reject you if you don't drink. Maybe not immediately, but slowly and subtly they all grow to resent anyone who doesn't drink. Which is why I don't have many friends in this city now despite how many people I met and got to know really well. I miss my home city and I hate living here. :frown:

It's so true, you either join them or get rejected. Props to people who can avoid the temptation.

Latest

Trending

Trending