The Student Room Group

British jobs for british people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
EU migrants are unequivocally good for the UK. They're more educated and fill skilled jobs that the native population can't.

Unemployment has been going down for a while. If you're getting outcompeted by people who don't even speak English as a first language, maybe you should've tried harder in school.

Hey dumb people not born lucky enough to be inteligent. Enjoy life on the dole! Oh and were also gonna collectively kick and shame you for being on the dole whilst we do our best to keep you on the dole by bringing the worlds poor cheap labour supply to be exploited in UK

woo hooo
Original post by JordanL_
EU migrants are unequivocally good for a small handful of people and businesses in the UK. Unequivocally awful for the vast majority of Britains. They're more educated and fill skilled jobs that the native population can't.

Unemployment has been going down for a while. If you're getting outcompeted by people who don't even speak English as a first language, maybe you should've tried harder in school.

FYP

I dont like giving british jobs to British people.. i believe in best man for the job if they are in the country but I would limit unskilled migration to ensure the vast majority of Brits can gain employment. A surplus of jobs comes about, we open the border and let in however many needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that if you do not have a language (other than English), a very good degree (preferably from a very good university) or anything else to distinguish yourself… you are going to struggle to distinguish yourself.

ie you are going to find it difficult to find a good job straight out of school/university. It's possible that you can distinguish yourself later, given the right career opportunities, but that is going to be a struggle - because you didn't get off to a good start.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Hey dumb people not born lucky enough to be inteligent. Enjoy life on the dole! Oh and were also gonna collectively kick and shame you for being on the dole whilst we do our best to keep you on the dole by bringing the worlds poor cheap labour supply to be exploited in UK

woo hooo

adopting a sarcastic and patronising tone isn't much of an argument.

And with regards to this posts, well tough, that's life. Such a proposal is discrimination and is illegal. You can perfectly have a low skilled job nowadays , thus why unemployment is low.

I dont like giving british jobs to British people.. i believe in best man for the job if they are in the country but I would limit unskilled migration to ensure the vast majority of Brits can gain employment. A surplus of jobs comes about, we open the border and let in however many needed.

You're countering an argument with unsupported claims and bringing up a completely irrelevant point to this thread.

Honestly, your argumentative skills are poor and just plain irritating.
Original post by Youngmetro
adopting a sarcastic and patronising tone isn't much of an argument.

And with regards to this posts, well tough, that's life. Such a proposal is discrimination and is illegal. You can perfectly have a low skilled job nowadays , thus why unemployment is low.

Callous, selfish and myopic people get my patronising and sarcastic tone. You might not have much respect or empathy for the working class but i and many others do.

Tough thats life? I bet your the sort of person who would earnestly argue we should bail out the miners or Tata steel without even realising the irony, or the sort of person who thinks the UK should accept unlimited number of so called refugees because "deyzz onli wants better life huuu we to deny dat"

Got some news for ya mate, unemployment isnt low... Torys have butchered the statistics, moved goalposts and so forth. Millions on workfare classed as employed. Millions on zero hour contracts classed as employed.

A bit like they changed the definition of fuel poverty aswell

If you have an over abundance of people willing to stick stickers on bananas in a warehouse, employers can run rampant and wages stay LOOWWW
As already said, if you can't find a job then tough. Unemployment is currently very low anyway so many can find a job so really that is irrelevant. If you don't have the skills and there is someone better then that should prompt one to get themselves the necessary skills and improvements as opposed to blaming the polish guy who can do a better job than you. Thanks to such competition, we have increased our productive capacity and become the fastest growing economy in the western world.

No, it isn't the governments job to find a job for the lazy benefit scroungers, they can get themselves off to the jobcentre and find a job themselves. If they dont have the skills then they must do necessary training. If any proposal is going to encourage it, its lowering benefits.

The only government that can do such thing is a theoretical communist government.

I fully agree that if someone can't find a job, they should improve their owns skills instead of blaming migrants.

No, it's not the governments job to find jobs; it's to create them. You can't just assume that the unemployed are 'lazy benefit scroungers'. Some people have had a poor upbringing/poor education and genuinely struggle to find a job. By the way, I don't think OP's suggestion to prioritise British workers/discriminate was a great idea and I never suggested it myself. I only brought it up because you equated it to having a superiority complex and I was explaining why I disagreed. As you said, it would be blatant discrimination and illegal under EU law.

My personal solution would be to leave the EU, slash immigration levels and implement a points system to ensure immigration of only high skilled workers. You can then use a concept that Theresa May suggested wherein migrants who have lived in the UK for more that 5 years must meet a certain earnings threshold - otherwise they face deportation. That's just my personal opinion though :smile:

As I said, its called closet racism for a reason.

And you don't seem to be replying to the point. A policy like this is blatant discrimination, which btw is illegal.

All i have to say really.

Once again, I never suggested a policy like that myself so I don't see why you want me to justify it.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're countering an argument with unsupported claims and bringing up a completely irrelevant point to this thread.

Honestly, your argumentative skills are poor and just plain irritating.

You're a squirrel and a lazy grey hoop shaft. Honestly, the fact you perpetuate rape imobilisation is quite honestly a chunderrouse of abroujeny of which even the Pope would attest

Honestly, You're avatar and latest haircut are just mildly irritating.
Yet the issue here is that they are taking british jobs. If they're better than low skilled british people then that's tough, should have made use of their education. If 'immigrants stealing our jobs' is really an issue, it just shows that these immigrants are better workers than the natives. Proposing that natives should have some form of advantage is just a passive form of discrimination, hence why there is a superiority complex

Really, you're 'fact' is irrelevant.

What field do you work in Young Metro? Whats your degree / profession?

Thanks
Callous, selfish and myopic people get my patronising and sarcastic tone. You might not have much respect for the working class but i and many others do.

Tough thats life? I bet your the sort of person who would earnestly argue we should bail out the miners or Tata steel without even realising the irony, or the sort of person who thinks the UK should accept unlimited number of so called refugees because "deyzz onli wants better life huuu we to deny dat"

Got some news for ya mate, unemployment isnt low... Torys have butchered the statistics, moved goalposts and so forth. Millions on workfare classed as employed. Millions on zero hour contracts classed as employed.

A bit like they changed the definition of fuel poverty aswell

If you have an over abundance of people willing to stick stickers on bananas in a warehouse, employers can run rampant and wages stay LOOWWW

I totally have respect for the working class, whatever that means nowadays.

If you want a discussion, dont talk like that, talk normally. I dont share any of those views mate. And yes, tough, thats life. We live in a capitalist not communist world so you're gonna have to get up and work and earn for yourself instead of blaming your incompetence on immigrants taking your jobs. If you didnt get the job and werent good enough, you cannot claim entitlement to it. This is why such a policy is so flawed.

We dont have skewed figures, its just the claimant count and labour force survey arent accurate as such. You're obliged to provide a link.

You failed to mention my point about discrimination. Such a policy is discriminate to non natives which is illegal.
I'm personally not against people coming here legally to work as they're contributing to the economy, it's no different to the British builders who went to Germany in the 80's following the best opportunity that was available to them. A lot of Eastern Europeans are also doing the crap jobs that Brits consider beneath them.

I look at it from the perspective of someone who's Dad went to work on the Continent through necessity when the UK manufacturing sector went down the toilet. Free movement served him well and me by extension, so I can hardly criticise it now when the shoe's on the other foot.
I totally have respect for the working class, whatever that means nowadays.

If you want a discussion, dont talk like that, talk normally. I dont share any of those views mate. And yes, tough, thats life. We live in a capitalist not communist world so you're gonna have to get up and work and earn for yourself instead of blaming your incompetence on immigrants taking your jobs. If you didnt get the job and werent good enough, you cannot claim entitlement to it. This is why such a policy is so flawed.

We dont have skewed figures, its just the claimant count and labour force survey arent accurate as such. You're obliged to provide a link.

You failed to mention my point about discrimination. Such a policy is discriminate to non natives which is illegal.

Mate i like capitalism. It works. But not everything is black and white. You have to have some scale and margins, keep the big businesses in check. I dont like monopolies... is that unfair? Or should big business be aloud to run rampant and let capitalism play out however it wants?

I dont agree with discriminating between nationalities, i said earlier, best man for the job. HOWEVER, you can limit the pool of people to protect the native population by not allowing an entire continent to compete for that job

I cba provding a link, google tory fuel poverty criteria, unemployment statistics and have a read about. Pretty well known they shifted the goalposts for statistics

3 types of lies, Lies, damned lies and statistics
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
I'm personally not against people coming here legally to work as they're contributing to the economy, it's no different to the British builders who went to Germany in the 80's following the best opportunity that was available to them. A lot of Eastern Europeans are also doing the crap jobs that Brits consider beneath them.

I look at it from the perspective of someone who's Dad went to work on the Continent through necessity when the UK manufacturing sector went down the toilet. Free movement served him well and me by extension, so I can hardly criticise it now when the shoe's on the other foot.

You do realise that the majority of Eastern Europeans that are doing these 'crap jobs' also claim tax benefits? In fact, about 40% of all EU migrants claim benefits as reported by the government Department of Work and Pensions. It's very debatable as to whether low they're contributing to the economy that massively. Not to mention, the mass immigration we see also puts a huge strain on our public services.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
I fully agree that if someone can't find a job, they should improve their owns skills instead of blaming migrants.

No, it's not the governments job to find jobs; it's to create them. You can't just assume that the unemployed are 'lazy benefit scroungers'. Some people have had a poor upbringing/poor education and genuinely struggle to find a job. By the way, I don't think OP's suggestion to prioritise British workers/discriminate was a great idea and I never suggested it myself. I only brought it up because you equated it to having a superiority complex and I was explaining why I disagreed. As you said, it would be blatant discrimination and illegal under EU law.

My personal solution would be to leave the EU, slash immigration levels and implement a points system to ensure immigration of only high skilled workers. You can then use a concept that Theresa May suggested wherein migrants who have lived in the UK for more that 5 years must meet a certain earnings threshold - otherwise they face deportation. That's just my personal opinion though :smile:

I get it, no one can possible deny immigration is a problem that the government need to address.

The points system is a brilliant idea, gives countries from the commonwealth an equal chance. Perhaps the issue here is will we see the growth we have been experiencing? Its hard to speculate, i personally dont but there are too many factors to implement.

Really the superiority complex issue i raised was talking about how to some it will feel unfair that someone gets job because they were born in Britain. The idea that someone is superior because of their race and nationality is really what people will highlight.
]

You're a squirrel and a lazy grey hoop shaft. Honestly, the fact you perpetuate rape imobilisation is quite honestly a chunderrouse of abroujeny of which even the Pope would attest

Honestly, You're avatar and latest haircut are just mildly irritating.

wtf

What field do you work in Young Metro? Whats your degree / profession?

Thanks

Im still at school, actually.
I'm actually gutted that this thread isn't a reference to Peep Show...
]

wtf

Im still at school, actually.

Ok well my point isnt going to strike a chord with you if you are still at school but lets say you go to uni and do a degree in Dentistry. You were born smart (Lucky), worked your balls off in college and uni, family supported you. You qualified to become a dentist. How would you feel if the UK suddenly became an immensely attractive destination for every dentist in the world? Suddenly your're skills are disposable, even if you gain employment you're wages are far lower than they would have been. All because you are now competing with the world instead of just your own countries population.

Would that be tough tits? Capitalism for ya, shoulda done Opthmalogy? Or would you think hang on why is our government flooding us with an abundance of one skill set?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
dey terk er jerbs
Mate i like capitalism. It works. But not everything is black and white. You have to have some scale and margins, keep the big businesses in check. I dont like monopolies... is that unfair? Or should big business be aloud to run rampant and let capitalism play out however it wants?

I dont agree with discriminating between nationalities, i said earlier, best man for the job. HOWEVER, you can limit the pool of people to protect the native population by not allowing an entire continent to compete for that job

I cba provding a link, google tory fuel poverty criteria, unemployment statistics and have a read about. Pretty well known they shifted the goalposts for statistics

3 types of lies, Lies, damned lies and statistics

Well I do agree with that somewhat, point is the proposal from OP is ridiculous.

As i said to the other guy, this could be detrimental to growth as it reduces productive potential, but that isnt necessarily the point
Original post by NickLCFC
You do realise that the majority of Eastern Europeans that are doing these 'crap jobs' also claim tax benefits? In fact, about 40% of all EU migrants claim benefits as reported by the government Department of Work and Pensions. It's very debatable as to whether low they're contributing to the economy that massively. Not to mention, the mass immigration we see also puts a huge strain on our public services.

Someone has to do them though regardless. The biggest threat to future public services is the Tory party.

It's interesting how the govt made that claim but refused an FOI request for the data.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/datablog/2015/nov/10/eu-migrants-claiming-benefits-questions-the-government-must-answer

Quick Reply

Latest