The Student Room Group

I'm in AS year of college. I want to know about A2 year.

So I'm currently studying mei maths, ocr chemistry and edexcel physics all at as level. I'm planning to drop chemistry and carry on with maths and physics. Along with these 2 I would like to do as level further maths and computer science. I would also love to do the whole Btec 3D Design in one year I'm not exactly sure how this will work out. But I'm just wondering about the work load and everything. I will probably be doing step 1 and/or step 2 as I would like to get into University of Birmingham or Warwick University in September of 2017. Any help will much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OGGUS
So I'm currently studying mei maths, ocr chemistry and edexcel physics all at as level. I'm planning to drop chemistry and carry on with maths and physics. Along with these 2 I would like to do as level further maths and computer science. I would also love to do the whole Btec 3D Design in one year I'm not exactly sure how this will work out. But I'm just wondering about the work load and everything. I will probably be doing step 1 and/or step 2 as I would like to get into University of Birmingham or Warwick University in September of 2017. Any help will much appreciated.

You need 3 full a levels (A2's) for any uni to even consider you
Reply 2
Original post by OGGUS

I did double maths, physics and chemistry. I found physics and chemistry hard and I dropped Chemistry
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
I did double maths, physics and chemistry. I found physics and chemistry hard and I dropped Chemistry

Makes sense
Reply 4
Original post by hellomynameisr
You need 3 full a levels (A2's) for any uni to even consider you

So having 2 A2s, and seperate 3As with a level 3 Btec wouldn't be enough UCAS points to get in. Will I need to complete a 3rd a level.
Original post by OGGUS
So having 2 A2s, and seperate 3As with a level 3 Btec wouldn't be enough UCAS points to get in. Will I need to complete a 3rd a level.

Its not necessarily the UCAS points but the type of qualification you get. A levels are one type and BTEC is another. I'd suggest just sticking with 3 A levels just to be sure as unis tend to prefer it
Reply 6
Original post by hellomynameisr
Its not necessarily the UCAS points but the type of qualification you get. A levels are one type and BTEC is another. I'd suggest just sticking with 3 A levels just to be sure as unis tend to prefer it
okay thanks, I'll call the university just incase and I'll my college.
Original post by OGGUS
okay thanks, I'll call the university just incase and I'll my college.

No problem :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by OGGUS

Some unis accept 2 AS levels in place of a full A level

And if its a full Subsidiary Diploma then that is a full qualification and the majority of UK universitiez will accept 2 A levels + a BTEC Subsidiary

You'll be fine, is it Engineering you want to do by any chance? If so I think changing Chemistry to FM, CS and the BTEC would be the better option
Reply 9
Original post by yt7777
Some unis accept 2 AS levels in place of a full A level

And if its a full Subsidiary Diploma then that is a full qualification and the majority of UK universitiez will accept 2 A levels + a BTEC Subsidiary

You'll be fine, is it Engineering you want to do by any chance? If so I think changing Chemistry to FM, CS and the BTEC would be the better option

You nailed it
Reply 10
Original post by OGGUS
You nailed it

Haha thought so :wink:

But yeah honestly, if you drop chemistry you will certainly get more out of Further Maths and Computer Science, pretty much every Engineering degree now has multiple programming modules and doing FM would allow you to take an extra Mechanics module which would look good, and the practical skills that you get from the BTEC are always desired, whether its the Engineering BTEC or the Design (3D) BTEC you should get practical experience of software packages like AutoCAD or SolidWorks, although if the Engineering BTEC is available for you to take I would say it would be a stronger option than 3D design.

What Engineerig discipline are you hoping to do at uni?

Hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yt7777
Haha thought so :wink:

But yeah honestly, if you drop chemistry you will certainly get more out of Further Maths and Computer Science, pretty much every Engineering degree now has multiple programming modules and doing FM would allow you to take an extra Mechanics module which would look good, and the practical skills that you get from the BTEC are always desired, whether its the Engineering BTEC or the Design (3D) BTEC you should get practical experience of software packages like AutoCAD or SolidWorks, although if the Engineering BTEC is available for you to take I would say it would be a stronger option than 3D design.

What Engineerig discipline are you hoping to do at uni?

Hope this helps

I'm not sure what type of engineering I'll be doing, My college doesn't do Btec engineering but I could move to a college where they do but that could take me another year so I'll probably just stay at my college. My college is quite good at artsy subjects so I'll likely get a Distinction or Distinction*. And it'll be quite easy as I have friends in the subject I'll be doing so they can always help me out if I'm stuck. I don't know what degree I want to do? But it will likely be related to futuristic technology. And thanks. 🙂
Some unis don't like students who have further maths, maths and one other a-level, they prefer them to have FM, maths, and two other a-levels. Just check it out on the university websites, most have updated them for 2017 entry :smile:
Most unis if you get the UCAS points they don't care how. Someone on my brothers course did a btec in sport coaching and is doing computer science at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
Some unis don't like students who have further maths, maths and one other a-level, they prefer them to have FM, maths, and two other a-levels. Just check it out on the university websites, most have updated them for 2017 entry :smile:

Okay
Reply 15
Original post by Georgefitz3
Most unis if you get the UCAS points they don't care how. Someone on my brothers course did a btec in sport coaching and is doing computer science at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah some universities are pretty flexible as long as you get the required UCAS points
Don't do a BTEC. Not because it's inferior, it's just different from A levels and there's no point.
Reply 17
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Don't do a BTEC. Not because it's inferior, it's just different from A levels and there's no point.

I'm trying to keep a balance and I don't see the point of doing a full a level because it'll be too much revision. I might as well get the **** done throughout the year and focus on the other a levels. It will also open a lot more doors for me when I apply for jobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
I'm trying to keep a balance and I don't see the point of doing a full a level because it'll be too much revision. I might as well get the **** done throughout the year and focus on the other a levels. It will also open a lot more doors for me when I apply for jobs.

Fair enough, but it might get a little confusing with also doing some other A levels. Each to their own I guess
Reply 19
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Fair enough, but it might get a little confusing with also doing some other A levels. Each to their own I guess

Yeah I see what you mean

Quick Reply

Latest