The Student Room Group

Is it right for me to receive a fine of £120?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BWV1007
What if the whole ordeal of trying to erase it off/getting a discount takes too much time and you'd end up with something more serious than a £120 fine?

Yes, but i don't see the point of fining me of £40 to begin with when i unintentially forgot my oyster card at home. Its not like i knew, what i was doing and got on the bus knowing i did not have an oyster card like some people do.:redface:
I've just increased your fine to £200 for making this thread.
Original post by BWV1007
That's a risk I wouldn't take tbh.

Nope - I'll look it up now, but as they give the length of time for you to appeal the same length of time to pay the fine (21 days), it would make sense that they'd either freeze or extend it. Will edit when I find out!

Looking on CAB for similar things, I think what it might be is that if you don't pay within 21 days, you may have to pay more, even if you appeal. But if your appeal is successful, you get a refund. I think! It wasn't specific to TfL, but for trains in general...!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yeah, you could throw out desperate and probably unsuccessful lies, or you could finally take some responsibility and pay the fine.

I don't know how you've got to this point without working out that the way that you solve this problem is to pay the fine.

I don't want to lie because a lie esculates further to another lie so i guess i will have to pay my fine.:frown:
Original post by Blackstarr
Yes, but i don't see the point of fining me of £40 to begin with when i unintentially forgot my oyster card at home. Its not like i knew, what i was doing and got on the bus knowing i did not have an oyster card like some people do.:redface:

You should have tried pleading with the inspector when you were caught without one - say you're just 17, mum's been struggling to put food on the table ever since dad left and you're so stressed about school that you somehow misplaced your card and forgot that you didn't touch the reader when you entered because your mind's too fuzzy.
Will this work out? what if they track that they actually sent the letter to my address?

I expect they receive 20 letters a day saying "I did not receive that letter", it's close to "the dog ate my homework" on the scale of things.

I want to know my rights regarding this matter.

Why didn't you just get off the bus when you realised that you did not have your Oyster card?

I doubt they have done anything they should not have done, so now you probably have to pay them the £120. If you want to try to get away with the original £40, then write them some letter about something that went wrong (not the letter not arriving) and here's the cheque for the original £40 fine. Then just hope they cannot be bothered to chase you any more.

Ultimately they can take you to court, I think you can get a criminal record, and you really don't want to go through all that for the sake of a few quid - believe me.
Original post by mobbsy91
I would probably say definitely not down to £40, but if they're nice, and it's not too long after the 21 days, they might keep it at £80 for you, rather than giving you a potentially even bigger fine.

I guess so.
Original post by DiddyDec
For a letter to be tracked it must signed for.

Nope, the postman can stick it through the letter box - I've had it happen to me.
Original post by typonaut
I expect they receive 20 letters a day saying "I did not receive that letter", it's close to "the dog ate my homework" on the scale of things.
I am aware of that this is why i don't want to say stuff like that.

Why didn't you just get off the bus when you realised that you did not have your Oyster card?

I know, i should have, my parents blamed me for this.

Everything just happened so quick that day.

I doubt they have done anything they should not have done, so now you probably have to pay them the £120. If you want to try to get away with the original £40, then write them some letter about something that went wrong (not the letter not arriving) and here's the cheque for the original £40 fine. Then just hope they cannot be bothered to chase you any more.

Ultimately they can take you to court, I think you can get a criminal record, and you really don't want to go through all that for the sake of a few quid - believe me.

I get that i will probably have to pay the fine but since we get free travel through this 16-18 oyster card why should it have matered if i did not have my card? is only for identity purpose and i don't even look my age tbh.
Original post by BWV1007
You should have tried pleading with the inspector when you were caught without one - say you're just 17, mum's been struggling to put food on the table ever since dad left and you're so stressed about school that you somehow misplaced your card and forgot that you didn't touch the reader when you entered because your mind's too fuzzy.

I wish i said that.:redface:
I get that i will probably have to pay the fine but since we get free travel through this 16-18 oyster card why should it have matered if i did not have my card? is only for identity purpose and i don't even look my age tbh.

That's the rules, right? Do you want to go to court and argue about it?

I had them try to give me a penalty fare a few years ago, completely different circumstances. In the end they dropped it, because I kept knocking it back to them illustrating that I thought it was more their fault than mine (not enough staff, not enough signage...). They eventually dropped it.

You're past the point you can do that, so now make up a good excuse for not responding previously and pay the £40 (don't offer to pay, actually pay). They may well just leave it at that - you've been "punished", they have some money.
Its one of them London buses where you could go through the back and touch in with the reader.

I got on one of them buses through the second door and touched my oyster card pouch on the reader but it did not work so, i just decided to stay on the bus but unfortunatelly for me, the ticket inspecter boarded on the bus shortly after i got on it.:frown:

Ok well that's clear fare evasion, you're in the wrong, pony up.
Original post by typonaut
That's the rules, right? Do you want to go to court and argue about it?

I had them try to give me a penalty fare a few years ago, completely different circumstances. In the end they dropped it, because I kept knocking it back to them illustrating that I thought it was more their fault than mine (not enough staff, not enough signage...). They eventually dropped it.

You're past the point you can do that, so now make up a good excuse for not responding previously and pay the £40 (don't offer to pay, actually pay). They may well just leave it at that - you've been "punished", they have some money.

I guess i will have to pay the fine, hopefully negotiate a lower rate as i simply don't have a good enough excuse and the excuse that i simply did not reccieve the letter will obv be BS to TFL.:redface:
Original post by Venusian Visitor
Ok well that's clear fare evasion, you're in the wrong, pony up.

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest