The Student Room Group

Stupid speed limits

Is anyone annoyed by some speed limits, I think it should be more than 70 on the motorway and there is some places that it should be more than 30.

Scroll to see replies

There was some thing years back where they were supposed to be raising the limit in the far right lane of a motorway to 80, never came to fruition though.

I think 70 is perfectly fast enough. And around where I live, I would like to see it lowered from 30 to 20.

I also think that there needs to be a review of a lot of national speed limit roads in the countryside. 60 is far too fast to be racing around tight country lanes full of blind corners, barely wide enough for one car, let alone two, or god forbid, a tractor.

Maybe you'd prefer to live in the Isle of Man. A lot of roads there unrestricted.

But since from your post you seem frustrated and probably hell bent on speeding anyway, here's the official guide to speed limits, at what point you'll be actually charged with speeding and get a fixed penalty notice, and at what point you'll be taken to court:

Speed Limit | Charging Threshold | Court Summons Threshold

20 | 24 | 35
30 | 35 | 50
40 | 46 | 66
50 | 57 | 76
60 | 68 | 86
70 | 79 | 96

However, these are guidelines, so a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.
Original post by XMaramena
There was some thing years back where they were supposed to be raising the limit in the far right lane of a motorway to 80, never came to fruition though.

I think 70 is perfectly fast enough. And around where I live, I would like to see it lowered from 30 to 20.

I also think that there needs to be a review of a lot of national speed limit roads in the countryside. 60 is far too fast to be racing around tight country lanes full of blind corners, barely wide enough for one car, let alone two, or god forbid, a tractor.

Maybe you'd prefer to live in the Isle of Man. A lot of roads there unrestricted.

But since from your post you seem frustrated and probably hell bent on speeding anyway, here's the official guide to speed limits, at what point you'll be actually charged with speeding and get a fixed penalty notice, and at what point you'll be taken to court:

Speed Limit | Charging Threshold | Court Summons Threshold

20 | 24 | 35
30 | 35 | 50
40 | 46 | 66
50 | 57 | 76
60 | 68 | 86
70 | 79 | 96

However, these are guidelines, so a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

soon cars will fly and there will be no more speed limits
Original post by Venusian Visitor
soon cars will fly and there will be no more speed limits

....they said in 1985
Whilst yes there are some roads which should be decreased to 20, for motorways, there is not a lot of evidence at all to suggest that 80mph is more dangerous than 70mph - a lot of European countries have it at 80...

Also, with country roads, yes the limit is often 60, but it doesn't mean you have to go round them at 60... At least for around my area, even in the 60s, people slow down for the corners because they generally don't want to crash...

I get really pissed off at speed limits, and pretty much speed all the time when it's safe to do so...
....they said in 1985

I made a thread on it called "real hoverboards" check it out.
in supermarket carparks, the speed limit (at least in my city) is ****ing 5mph. I can't physically drive that slow. it's almost a walking pace! -_- I've tried going this slow and it's difficult without the engine almost stalling.
Original post by mobbsy91
Whilst yes there are some roads which should be decreased to 20, for motorways, there is not a lot of evidence at all to suggest that 80mph is more dangerous than 70mph - a lot of European countries have it at 80...

Also, with country roads, yes the limit is often 60, but it doesn't mean you have to go round them at 60... At least for around my area, even in the 60s, people slow down for the corners because they generally don't want to crash...

I get really pissed off at speed limits, and pretty much speed all the time when it's safe to do so...

Unfortunately for us, we have a concealed entrance on a blind corner with no street lighting that's a nightmare to get out of if it's busy. And at the end of the road, you come out onto a country lane where people go hurtling around like there's no tomorrow. I've been forced up the side of the road many a time by some douche in a range rover doing 60 round corners where they'd be lucky to stop in time if they were doing half that. Nearly every week, there's some smashed up car along the way. Wrote to the council to ask for a 30, or at least 40 limit put in, never got any response. The MP's probably one of the range rover douchebags.
Unfortunately for us, we have a concealed entrance on a blind corner with no street lighting that's a nightmare to get out of if it's busy. And at the end of the road, you come out onto a country lane where people go hurtling around like there's no tomorrow. I've been forced up the side of the road many a time by some douche in a range rover doing 60 round corners where they'd be lucky to stop in time if they were doing half that. Nearly every week, there's some smashed up car along the way. Wrote to the council to ask for a 30, or at least 40 limit put in, never got any response. The MP's probably one of the range rover douchebags.

That's a bitch! Obviously on certain areas, like that for example, a lower speed limit would be suitable...Range rovers for you :wink:
Original post by BubbleBoobies
in supermarket carparks, the speed limit (at least in my city) is ****ing 5mph. I can't physically drive that slow. it's almost a walking pace! -_- I've tried going this slow and it's difficult without the engine almost stalling.

I think it's not an offence to go over 5mph in those areas since they're not public roads, so the car park operators can put advisory speed limits in but they'd have to take you to court themselves and try to prove that you were driving dangerously causing a hazard to others.

Sounds like you need a new clutch.
I think it's not an offence to go over 5mph in those areas since they're not public roads, so the car park operators can put advisory speed limits in but they'd have to take you to court themselves and try to prove that you were driving dangerously causing a hazard to others.

Sounds like you need a new clutch.

not really - cars simply aren't designed to be able to travel so slowly without a lot of frustratingly delicate focus - putting my foot down on the clutch and accelerator without a minute amount of force will mean that the slowest speed will be more likely 10 than 5mph
Original post by mobbsy91
That's a bitch! Obviously on certain areas, like that for example, a lower speed limit would be suitable...Range rovers for you :wink:

In the nearest town, they have variable speed limits which change every few hours. Usually 40 at dead of night, 30 in the day, and 20 when the schools are going in or coming out. Changes depending on the traffic and weather and stuff as well.

I think that's a good idea. If a motorway is practically dead at 3am, then why not have variable speed limits to allow up to 80 or 90? Similarly, reduce it to 60 when things start getting busy or the weather gets crappy?
In the nearest town, they have variable speed limits which change every few hours. Usually 40 at dead of night, 30 in the day, and 20 when the schools are going in or coming out. Changes depending on the traffic and weather and stuff as well.

I think that's a good idea. If a motorway is practically dead at 3am, then why not have variable speed limits to allow up to 80 or 90? Similarly, reduce it to 60 when things start getting busy or the weather gets crappy?

Well, they do have the variables which go down, just unfortunately not up when it's empty...
not really - cars simply aren't designed to be able to travel so slowly without a lot of frustratingly delicate focus - putting my foot down on the clutch and accelerator without a minute amount of force will mean that the slowest speed will be more likely 10 than 5mph

You must have a sad car. Give it ice cream.

If I just sit with my feet on the floor, my car idles at 5mph, there's a switch on the steering wheel to toggle it up to 10mph :P

Gadget love :biggrin::biggrin:
You must have a sad car. Give it ice cream.

If I just sit with my feet on the floor, my car idles at 5mph, there's a switch on the steering wheel to toggle it up to 10mph :P

Gadget love :biggrin::biggrin:

wouldn't you say that the general speed suited to 2nd gear is 20mph? and that the suited speed for 3rd is 30? well if I have my car in 1st gear, how is it more suited to 5mph than 10 given this pattern?
wouldn't you say that the general speed suited to 2nd gear is 20mph? and that the suited speed for 3rd is 30? well if I have my car in 1st gear, how is it more suited to 5mph than 10 given this pattern?

My car has 7 gears.
Reply 16
Unfortunately the government has to legislate for the idiots in society.
You know... the ones that can't work out for themselves not to do 50 past a school.

I quite agree that there are plenty of roads that you can go significantly quicker than the speed limit and be perfectly safe. There's no reason at all why you can't do 150 on the motorway at 3 in the morning, for example.
Let's go to the Autobahn!!!! Unlimited!!
But I think speed limits are good but annoying!
There are roads where it's clearly safer to go faster on!
Although my car will barely get to 80 on a motorway. Sitting in 5th at 3500rpm isn't terribly fun tbh.
But the thing that irritates me is the slow drivers! The ones who do 20/25 in a 30! Argh so annoying! I once got stuck behind someone doing 35 in a 60!!!! I nearly crashed into them, that was a scary experience!!!
But some speed limits should be increased because they're incredibly frustrating at times!
I love cars and Motorsport (I'm strongly against street racing though!) and wouldn't mind being able to push my car a bit more at times!
Original post by The Blue Nose
Is anyone annoyed by some speed limits, I think it should be more than 70 on the motorway and there is some places that it should be more than 30.

I think the 30 is ok, but I think the motorway should be raised to around 90

They are trialing "smart motorways" at the moment. So far EVERY implementation of it in the UK has been AWFUL. Overenforcement of arbitrary limits which change at every 2nd gantry. Hell there are certain police forces almost admiting to using them as a revenue stream.

Quick Reply

Latest