The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Scroll to see replies

no I view God as a superstition there is no evidence for him/her. It is far more likely that everything (life) gradually adapted to earth rather than was made perfect to begin with.
Original post by karl pilkington
no I view God as a superstition there is no evidence for him/her. It is far more likely that everything (life) gradually adapted to earth rather than was made perfect to begin with.

I think the vast majority of theists agree that life was made perfect from the beginning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
I think over time people have lost the whole concept of religion. For example people believe that God created the world and evolution didn't happen. However I don't think that is what religion is for. I believe religion is a way of living your life in a decent way. I believe God exists and some disagree. But for me that isn't the point. The point is that we look at religious teachings to help us do the correct thing. I am not a Muslim or Christian.

To be a bit more clear, in the context of Christianity, there is no point in saying that God created the world and then you go and do crimes or whatever.
Nope, as I believe in whatever makes the most sense - explanations of gods tend to be wild and unlikely, with no evidence to support their superstitions.

However, I'm not saying that there's a 0% chance that a god exists. I just think that it is highly unlikely to be in the form provided to us by any human religions, as each is based on the scriptures of men in aeons past.
Original post by acupofgreentea
Despite my best efforts, no.I'm coming around to the idea, though. It seems less magical, somehow, to imagine this was all created simply by this one being making it so.
Personally i think it's way more exciting and magical to think that everything you see around us, including all life, has formed from the 4 basic laws of the universe and the interactions between different states of matter. Everything from stars, to black holes, to quasars, to self replicating chemical reactions is so amazing and the fact it happened without any intelligent influence is even more amazing to me.Btw is it okay if i ask why you tried to believe in a god/which one?
sort of yes. I have an attraction to Christianity as it depicts god through the new testament but the god of the old testament is something I can't really accept.
No. There's no evidence for a god or gods and there's uncountably many religious systems. There is evidence that contradicts some, but even if you use this to filter through them there's still uncountably many religious systems to choose from, with no reason to choose one over another. If one was correct, it would seem that the universe is very arbitrary, which I don't believe is true.

To say that there exists a god is to make a fairly large assumption but to further say that one religion is true is to make an absolutely huge assumption, with no basis to make such an assumption in either case.
Original post by garfeeled
sort of yes. I have an attraction to Christianity as it depicts god through the new testament but the god of the old testament is something I can't really accept.

You do slide from one side to the other, don't you? :tongue:

I think that's refreshing though, like you are honestly weighing the two sides up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
You do slide from one side to the other, don't you? :tongue:

I think that's refreshing though, like you are honestly weighing the two sides up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, cant really seem to make my mind up. It sort of like an iteration, I keep on jumping about but I'm sort of closing in on a position that will fit me comfortably.\
Original post by SGHD26716
I believe religion is a way of living your life in a decent way

Oh. I guess I'm a degenerate criminal, then. :wink:
:no:
Original post by acupofgreentea
But ... but ... "i" before "e" except after C. :sad: Don't penalise me for this, the blame lies with the illogical rules the education system ingrained in me. :hand:

I'll give you this one. :tongue: Inculcating a good ability to spell is something that the British education system is embarrassingly incompetent at.

It's ten in the morning, anyway. Don't you TSR spellcheckers take holidays. :huff:

No, because I don't get holiday pay. :sad: If I stop working, @FrenchFries stops paying me.

But if you insist, I suppose this is doable. I feel my application should be looking good enough at this point, though. :noway:

Hmm, sexual favours, firstborn, becoming an atheist, spelling 'atheist' correctly... You're close. :holmes:
Original post by slipper flipper
@Hydeman - thoughts?

My immediate reaction was: LOL. Then I thought about it some more, and concluded that he almost said something. Almost.

Hello Illiberal Liberal :rolleyes:
Original post by Hydeman

No, because I don't get holiday pay. :sad: If I stop working, @FrenchFries stops paying me

The break is over L'Homme Caché :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Reply 74
Original post by Hydeman
Oh. I guess I'm a degenerate criminal, then. :wink:

I am not saying if you are not religious you are a criminal.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Hello Illiberal Liberal :rolleyes:

Don't rat him out. :lol:

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
The break is over L'Homme Caché :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Yes, ma'am. :emo:

(The :whip: emoji would've been appropriate here. xD).

Spoiler

Original post by garfeeled
yeah, cant really seem to make my mind up. It sort of like an iteration, I keep on jumping about but I'm sort of closing in on a position that will fit me comfortably.\

Whats the general idea behind this position? I'm nosy i know!
Original post by Hydeman

Yes, ma'am. :emo:

:u:
Original post by Hydeman

(The :whip: emoji would've been appropriate here. xD).

Spoiler

Indeed :lol: :lol:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is frankly irrelevant if a god exists or not. What matters is what we do for ourselves as humans.
Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending