The Student Room Group

Everyone is growing up so fast!!

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but I find it a little odd.

My brother just turned 12 on wednesday and he is in year 7 and he seems so much older than he is, I talk to him as if I were talking to somebody my age.

I remember when I was in year 7 and although I was a very sensible and mature child, I remember inviting my friend over at the beginning of the year and playing with our dolls in my garden. I was 11 then, now a days for an 11 year old to do that seems a little odd.

I suppose it's the advancement in technology but can anyone relate?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well okay then ....:ashamed:
Yes deffo. My little sister is also in y7 and she's grown up so fast, she's quite mature for her age. But then I also feel I get on with people in their 20s well even though I'm 18 so maybe its just a universal thing? Sometimes I wish kids would just stay kids I remember playing with my alien babies and my tamagotchi and now all these 10 year olds have ipads, it makes you kinda sad tbh
Reply 3
I think this concept is called time. As far as I know it has been around for a few years now.
My little sister has more devices than me. :redface:
Nahh my sisters are still annoying and immature.

Spoiler

Original post by TheGreatImposter
Yes deffo. My little sister is also in y7 and she's grown up so fast, she's quite mature for her age. But then I also feel I get on with people in their 20s well even though I'm 18 so maybe its just a universal thing? Sometimes I wish kids would just stay kids I remember playing with my alien babies and my tamagotchi and now all these 10 year olds have ipads, it makes you kinda sad tbh

Yes!! That is how I feel. Omg those squishy alien babies that would stick to the ceiling :colondollar:

I know, it sad isn't it :frown: I'm so glad we got to live through that though. Maybe it is a universal thing, but I think it's okay for us I suppose because we have matured but when it affects children it's a bit odd because I feel like it takes some of the innocence out of childhood. Y'know?
I hate how kids are escaping the awkward stage like wearing the free makeup from magazines and having light up shoes.
Original post by RezzBerry
My little sister has more devices than me. :redface:

:redface: I'm sorry. XD
Original post by Rhythmical
I hate how kids are escaping the awkward stage like wearing the free makeup from magazines and having light up shoes.

OMG LIGHT UP SHOES! Omg those magazines!

Do you remember those other shoes with the toys inside?? I had those when I was 11.

The world really has changed! :redface:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:redface: I'm sorry. XD

She gets more notifications than me. :s-smilie:
Original post by RezzBerry
She gets more notifications than me. :s-smilie:

:redface:

That is quite funny tbh.
Everyone around me has not grown up, in fact, they seem to be behaving in such childish ways but you can't blame them, its technology, its making us more stupid everyday.
Reply 13
I remember being year 6 and having Yu-Gi-Oh cards and those little Alien toys made from goo that everyone swore could have a baby :rofl: We'd actually play outside with friends and ride our bikes etc. Now it seems that babies learn to walk then pick up a playstation controller and make a facebook account, everything has changed :frown: I know this isn't relevant but i felt like being nostalgic :colondollar:
This is what i hate:colonhash:
Random aunties who you have never seen before telling you "oh look how much you have grown, i remember you when you were this small ,i used to carry you ":erm:
Yes!! That is how I feel. Omg those squishy alien babies that would stick to the ceiling :colondollar:

I know, it sad isn't it :frown: I'm so glad we got to live through that though. Maybe it is a universal thing, but I think it's okay for us I suppose because we have matured but when it affects children it's a bit odd because I feel like it takes some of the innocence out of childhood. Y'know?

If I were to ever have children I'll deffo put a ban on my children having a phone before they enter secondary. Everyone is maturing so fast. I think we, as a society, put so much emphasis on internet on our lives and the use of social media. Yeah it's great that you're able to communicate but I do think that it creates false intimacy between people, like the amounts of "likes" you can get on something. I know this went a bit of topic :/
I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but I find it a little odd.

My brother just turned 12 on wednesday and he is in year 7 and he seems so much older than he is, I talk to him as if I were talking to somebody my age.

I remember when I was in year 7 and although I was a very sensible and mature child, I remember inviting my friend over at the beginning of the year and playing with our dolls in my garden. I was 11 then, now a days for an 11 year old to do that seems a little odd.

I suppose it's the advancement in technology but can anyone relate?

I know this feeling. I mean, my brother's in year 10 but it's a similar story.

He, and all his friends, are so similar to me and all my friends. Definitely not how we were three years ago. I think everything is defined by changes in technology, in what's happening on the internet, as that is the social hub for everyone between the ages of 10 and 25 nowadays.

You often can't tell the difference between a 15-year-old and a 22-year-old on the internet nowadays. I know that that's not real life, but it definitely says something about how people don't age mentally in the same way as in the past...
Original post by Zuki
I remember being year 6 and having Yu-Gi-Oh cards and those little Alien toys made from goo that everyone swore could have a baby :rofl: We'd actually play outside with friends and ride our bikes etc. Now it seems that babies learn to walk then pick up a playstation controller and make a facebook account, everything has changed :frown: I know this isn't relevant but i felt like being nostalgic :colondollar:

I tried SOOOOOOOOO hard to get my alien to have a baby. I ended up trying to cut the thing in half to see if it was pregnant.
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: and i am turning 18 next month-growing pretty fast :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
OMG LIGHT UP SHOES! Omg those magazines!

Do you remember those other shoes with the toys inside?? I had those when I was 11.

The world really has changed! :redface:

It is so sad. I remember how children's programmes were good too, Girls in Love, Jeopardy, Big Kids, its **** these days. I feel like its gone backwards.

Quick Reply

Latest