The Student Room Group

How much mobile phone data do you use each month?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
MODS, please don't move this to the mobile phone forum.

I am debating if I should buy an iPhone 6s with 2GB data (£26 p/m) or iPhone 6s with 6GB data (£31 p/m). Obviously the 6GB one is more expensive, but I would never need to worry about going over my data limit.

Is it conceivable that somebody would use 6GB in a month, or would 2GB suffice for average needs?

BTW, there is no 3GB/4GB options. :frown:

Well how much do you use atm? I presume you have some kind of phone atm so how much do you typically use
Original post by samb1234
Well how much do you use atm? I presume you have some kind of phone atm so how much do you typically use

I am on PAYG and have been since last summer, I pay £10 per month for about 750MB of data, but sometimes it runs out before the end of the month and I have to pay again anyway. :frown:

I am debating if I should buy an iPhone 6s with 2GB data (£26 p/m) or iPhone 6s with 6GB data (£31 p/m). Obviously the 6GB one is more expensive, but I would never need to worry about going over my data limit.

Is it conceivable that somebody would use 6GB in a month, or would 2GB suffice for average needs?

Go for the 6GB, I have 5GB and find that my wifi network is poor sometimes or that 3G/4G is faster. 2GB may be sufficient for average use but I'd like to make sure that I have a comfortable amount and not go over. The price for 6GB is good too. What network is this?
Reply 23
Original post by BWV1007
Go for 6GB. The value's much better for 6GB (£5 difference for an extra 4GB).

That's called anchoring, it's only actually better value if you actually need 6GB over 2GB.
Original post by Rhythmical
Go for the 6GB, I have 5GB and find that my wifi network is poor sometimes or that 3G/4G is faster. 2GB may be sufficient for average use but I'd like to make sure that I have a comfortable amount and not go over. The price for 6GB is good too. What network is this?

It's Vodafone. I am looking on Compare the Market... but I don't know if I can hotlink it here...

https://mobilephones.comparethemarket.com/deals/iphone-6s/?filters%5Bupfront_cost%5D%5Bmax%5D=50&order=averaged_monthly%2Casc&attributes%5B%5D=47&filters%5Bnetwork_id%5D%5B%5D=9&filters%5Btotal_monthly%5D%5Bmax%5D=&filters%5Btariff_data%5D%5Bmin%5D=&filters%5Btariff_minutes%5D%5Bmin%5D=&filters%5Btariff_texts%5D%5Bmin%5D=&filters%5Bcontract_term%5D%5Bmax%5D=24&include_resellers=0&include_resellers=1&include_refurbished=0&include_refurbished=1
I don't use much data - only on the way to school when I listen to music and often go on TSR, and plus I use my school wifi . I use less than 1 GB.

I would say go for the 6GB.
I am on PAYG and have been since last summer, I pay £10 per month for about 750MB of data, but sometimes it runs out before the end of the month and I have to pay again anyway. :frown:

Is your current phone capable of doing everything that your new phone would? One option would be that you hold off buying a phone right now, and get say a 3 pay as you go sim for one month. You top up £20 to get 12gb data, and you just use the phone as you would want to use your new one. Then at the end of the month you could then check how much data you actually used in that month
Reply 27
Original post by BWV1007
Go for 6GB. The value's much better for 6GB (£5 difference for an extra 4GB).

It's only actually better value if you actually need 6GB over 2GB.
Original post by samb1234
Is your current phone capable of doing everything that your new phone would? One option would be that you hold off buying a phone right now, and get say a 3 pay as you go sim for one month. You top up £20 to get 12gb data, and you just use the phone as you would want to use your new one. Then at the end of the month you could then check how much data you actually used in that month

I have an iPhone 5, which I have now had for about 3 years. :frown:

It is badly performing, and I need a new one ASAP.

I am also emigrating later in the year (hopefully) so I don't know what would happen to my 24 month contract, because realistically I cannot use UK data in Japan can I? :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by spotify95
No it isn't!

I've been with Virgin Mobile for a while now, and got their "unlimited" plan. It's actually 3.5GB - use any more than that and you'll be stuck on 384 kilobits/sec for the rest of the month. Ouch.

If you want truly unlimited data (with no slowdowns like this), Three is your best bet.

Maybe cuz I never go over that

As long as you dont plan on watching youtube, using spotify every day with data, then 2GB should be fine. You could still use Facebook, the internet in general, messenger, most social media easily without going over the 2GB.
Original post by Rhythmical
Oh it doesn't show up. Is the handset £250?

It should be the 3rd item on the list. And the handset is £50. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts.
(edited 7 years ago)
I usually use anywhere between 5-15GB per month, depending on where I am...!
It should be the 3rd item on the list. And the handset is £50. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts.

I would say go for that, what phone do you have currently, and how much data do you currently use?
I have an iPhone 5, which I have now had for about 3 years. :frown:

It is badly performing, and I need a new one ASAP.

I am also emigrating later in the year (hopefully) so I don't know what would happen to my 24 month contract, because realistically I cannot use UK data in Japan can I? :frown:

Not really no. If you are emigrating it might be a better idea to hold off on buying a phone until you are out there. Have you considered android at all? You could potentially buy a sim free android phone for much cheaper than an iphone, and then get a one month rolling sim only deal (for example id offer 4gb for £10 a month), and then once you are in japan you could get a local sim. Check any phone you might buy on http://willmyphonework.net/ first as that will tell you if it is compatible with the japanese networks
Reply 36
I bought the 6S outright with 64gb memory... And now pay £10 a month for unlimited data, 3000 texts, 300 mins :biggrin: awesome

And I went through 6gb of Internet in about 5 days when I traveling :redface: but I use a lot of Internet and data all the time even with wifi
I will pretty much only be using the data for basic app stuff when on days out etc... mainly Snapchat, which drains my data AND my battery :frown:

At work and home, I use free wifi. Even in hotels I have wifi, plus nowadays on hundreds of London Underground stations I also get free wifi.

Thanks for the info - that helps a lot, as it's always easier to recommend something based on what you know about the person's data usage.

Seeing as though you have plenty of access to Wifi, I'm actually starting to think you might not need the 6GB, and that 2GB will suffice. If you're not continually using Youtube (or other video streaming services), or Spotify (or other audio streaming services), then your data use will be reasonably low.

I haven't used Snapchat before so can't comment on experience, but based on the fact that you use photos a lot on Snapchat, I can see why that would use data. It depends on how often you use Snapchat as to whether 2GB would be enough or not.

In regards to the battery, have you got a portable power bank? They will come in handy, especially when you're dealing with battery draining apps.

Also, have you been able to measure data usage for previous months?
Original post by ZuluK
I bought the 6S outright with 64gb memory... And now pay £10 a month for unlimited data, 3000 texts, 300 mins :biggrin: awesome

And I went through 6gb of Internet in about 5 days when I traveling :redface: but I use a lot of Internet and data all the time even with wifi

That sounds like one of the Three UK plans... correct me if I'm wrong?

In your circumstances, going through 6GB in 5 days, I think unlimited data would be your best bet!

I don't use as much data as that, but have gone for a 16GB plan on EE - that should last me!

If you aren't streaming videos or downloading huge files from the Internet, you don't need a lot of data.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending