The Student Room Group

LLB Manchester , Reading, Leeds or Newcastle

I got an offer from Manchester /Reading/ NewcastleI but which university should i go? and i want to work in law firm so which one has better graduate prospect ? Manchester is sounds good but newcastle is ranked much better than Manchester. It's really hard to decide for me now. please you guys recommend a good and bad thing about both uni. I also heard a lot of complaining about Manchester contact hours too.
Reply 1
Original post by Fasai
I got an offer from Manchester /Reading/ NewcastleI but which university should i go? and i want to work in law firm so which one has better graduate prospect ? Manchester is sounds good but newcastle is ranked much better than Manchester. It's really hard to decide for me now. please you guys recommend a good and bad thing about both uni. I also heard a lot of complaining about Manchester contact hours too.

For the best job prospects I would suggest manchester. Which ranking are you looking at, some are complete garbage (guardian in particular).
Reply 2
Original post by guest115
For the best job prospects I would suggest manchester. Which ranking are you looking at, some are complete garbage (guardian in particular).

I looked from the complete university guide which Manchester is ranked26th and Newcastle is ranked 13th
Reply 3
Original post by Fasai
I looked from the complete university guide which Manchester is ranked26th and Newcastle is ranked 13th

I wouldn't take that too seriously, perhaps student satisfaction or a few similar parameters have lead to those places. There will be little difference in the reputation of each law degree, but I maintain manchester carries slightly more prestige. Go where you'll be most happy, but manchester I think has a slight reputation edge.
Both great, theyre probably around a similar level regarding job prospects, go where you will be happy
Did you manage to go along to any of the applicant days if visit the universities? I found that visiting them really helped me make a decision? After visiting the uni of Manchester, I know Iv definitely made the right decision in firming them. I would also agree that sometimes these rankings show very little difference between the UNIs.
At the end of the day though you have to decide for yourself because it's where you will spend 3 years minimum so you need to be happy you made the right choice.
Reply 6
Both Manchester and Newcastle are good for Law. Manchester's contact hours are 10-12 hours a week, which suits some as Law is to an extent a self-study subject. Those hours are the same as Law at Exeter (according to their website), another very good uni for Law. The main issue with Manchester is the amount of students who attend it, which is why there is varying satisfaction levels. However, it does depend on the various schools in a university and some may drag the university's rankings down more than others. In various threads on TSR there are those studying Law at Manchester and they speak highly of the law school. I can only really offer advice as to Manchester as I'll be doing Law there. Pick what is best for YOU though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending