The Student Room Group

Basic Math Help / AS-Level

Hi,I'm doing my AS-Levels. C12 and Statistics 1 (Edexcel)I'm really bad in maths BUT because Math is required for the degree i'll be doing in university i really need it. I don't have a proper foundation in Maths at ALL. it's really hard to understand for me (obviously some other ppl out there)Which is why i need to start from the scratch. And i'm teaching myself the basics.I want to know which topics in the basic Arithmetic/ basic Maths are important for the high schools Maths.PLEASE HELP TY.
Original post by Hanna423
Hi,I'm doing my AS-Levels. C12 and Statistics 1 (Edexcel)I'm really bad in maths BUT because Math is required for the degree i'll be doing in university i really need it. I don't have a proper foundation in Maths at ALL. it's really hard to understand for me (obviously some other ppl out there)Which is why i need to start from the scratch. And i'm teaching myself the basics.I want to know which topics in the basic Arithmetic/ basic Maths are important for the high schools Maths.PLEASE HELP TY.

Start from
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic
Reply 2
By far the most important skill is algebra which is neglected in school and many online courses.

Try to focus on that first. Fund questions and of you get stuck, ask here.
Original post by nerak99
By far the most important skill is algebra which is neglected in school and many online courses.

Try to focus on that first. Fund questions and of you get stuck, ask here.

really? but it's not too difficult one you get the hang of working in terms of unknowns
Original post by thefatone
really? but it's not too difficult one you get the hang of working in terms of unknowns

True, but i think this also includes manipulation of equations and fractions, along with unknowns and also powers etc :smile:
Original post by The-Spartan
True, but i think this also includes manipulation of equations and fractions, along with unknowns and also powers etc :smile:

but it's not too difficult???
but it's not too difficult???

Well no its not, to someone who has done it lots and lots. :yes:
Thats why practice makes perfect! :biggrin:
Original post by The-Spartan
Well no its not, to someone who has done it lots and lots. :yes:
Thats why practice makes perfect! :biggrin:

momentum pls.... :colonhash:
Reply 8

If Algebra were "not too difficult" then I am surprised that it is the single most distinguishing weakness in those who fail to make the highest grades in Core and Further Maths
Original post by nerak99
If Algebra were "not too difficult" then I am surprised that it is the single most distinguishing weakness in those who fail to make the highest grades in Core and Further Maths

really? they can't do the algebra or they don't know how to apply it but they can use it well?
They are unable to reliably carry out the manipulations leading to the correct answer. Also they miss loads of marks due to the intermediate simplifications in part ii of iii (say) being wrong

Quick Reply

Latest