The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Oh. I guess I'm a degenerate criminal, then. :wink:

Was this up for debate to begin with? :holmes:

Original post by Hydeman
I'll give you this one. :tongue: Inculcating a good ability to spell is something that the British education system is embarrassingly incompetent at.

... I wasn't expecting you accept the excuse. What a pleasant surprise. :awesome:

It all makes sense now. I'm awful at spelling, as I'm sure you're aware. :sad: Thank you for giving me an excuse for all future spelling mistakes. :yep:

No, because I don't get holiday pay. :sad: If I stop working, @FrenchFries stops paying me.

I hadn't imagined Frenchie would be such a harsh employer. :console:

Hmm, sexual favours, firstborn, becoming an atheist, spelling 'atheist' correctly... You're close. :holmes:

Close?

What more can you want?

I'm running out of leverage here. :sad:
Original post by acupofgreentea
... I wasn't expecting you accept the excuse. What a pleasant surprise. :awesome:

It all makes sense now. I'm awful at spelling, as I'm sure you're aware. :sad: Thank you for giving me an excuse for all future spelling mistakes. :yep:

I'm nothing if not pleasant. :awesome:

Your spelling is mostly fine, though. Most of your mistakes are typos, not mis-spellings that you genuinely didn't know were wrong. :tongue: Although this isn't an excuse for future mistakes. :shakecane:

I hadn't imagined Frenchie would be such a harsh employer. :console:

She sometimes :whip:s me, too. :cry:

Close?

What more can you want?

I'm running out of leverage here. :sad:

I dunno. I'll think about it and fax you the details.
Original post by ModernGoodGuy
I think the vast majority of theists agree that life was made perfect from the beginning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah that's what I meant
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
x

I concur. :yep:

And I was baptised Catholic, so a Christian God. :yep: I thought there was a comfort in faith -- being able to have faith that someone was always there looking out for you, that death wasn't the end, that kind of stuff.

Any particular reason you're curious? :smile:

Original post by Hydeman
I'm nothing if not pleasant. :awesome:

Debatable. :u:

Spoiler

Although this isn't an excuse for future mistakes. :shakecane:

But of course. Wouldn't want you getting too soft on us, now. :rolleyes:

She sometimes :whip:s me, too. :cry:

Is this part of your punishment or your pay packet? :beard:

I dunno. I'll think about it and fax you the details.

While I hesitate to make accusations, I'd swear you're starting to enjoy this. :colonhash:

But yes, I shall wait in dread at my fax machine. I was not aware I was in possession of a fax machine, but you learn new things everyday, I suppose. :awesome:
(edited 7 years ago)
Either the thing is true or it isn’t. If it is true, you should believe it. And if it isn’t, you shouldn’t. And if you can’t find out whether it’s true or whether it isn’t you should suspend judgment.-

Bertrand Russell
Original post by acupofgreentea
I concur. :yep:

And I was baptised Catholic, so a Christian God. :yep: I thought there was a comfort in faith -- being able to have faith that someone was always there looking out for you, that death wasn't the end, that kind of stuff.

Any particular reason you're curious? :smile:

I find that people look for certain things within certain religions. For the Abrahamic ones (as you said), people tend to look for a purpose to live for or take comfort in the fact that they aren't alone or that death isn't the end. "God's got my back" sorta thing.

For the Vedic ones, people tend to be more interested in looking for a way to live their lives. They want to be told the "best" way to go about their life, without having to think too much for themselves. Probably to take comfort in knowing they're set on the "right" path or whatever. I mean if God told them to live this way, it must be the right path, right?

I don't think either is better then the other, it's just interesting to notice the difference and observe how the different schools of thought have shaped their respective cultures in their own ways.

I also just like hearing about other people's experiences as well.
Original post by karl pilkington
yeah that's what I meant

My bad I meant the majority don't think life started perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Aaron2515
Hello, this question is open to everyone and basically wondering people's views if they believe in a God/creator or of different faith or agnostic or atheist etc and also why you believe in what you believe in! This for RS views which will be most helpful. Thank you

I'm a Christian and I do believe in God. The reason I believe in God is primarily because my spirit resonates with His word.

I feel within my being I met with God and know God.

I like God. I like His love for me and His unending love for mankind.

I like to hear how people have met with God for the first time, having a realisation of who he is, when the blinkers came off.

I agree with God.

I enjoy hearing people preaching, I find it incredible how a person can take a chapter of the bible and expound on it in such a relevant way for my life. It goes deep into my soul.

I see how everything makes sense with God and how history brings us up to this moment in time.

I cannot imagine living without God in my life.
Original post by Racoon
I'm a Christian and I do believe in God. The reason I believe in God is primarily because my spirit resonates with His word.

I like to hear how people have met with God for the first time, having a realisation of who he is, when the blinkers came off.

I agree with God.

I enjoy hearing people preaching, I find it incredible how a person can take a chapter of the bible and expound on it in such a relevant way for my life. It goes deep into my soul.

I see how everything makes sense with God and how history brings us up to this moment in time.

Lol. I've seen this argument a few times. Doesn't go well I'm afraid.
Original post by Racoon

I agree with God.

I understand. I have the same feeling about my crush :frown: - but instead in my case the feeling isn't mutual :sad: :cry:
Yes, not believing in god is just an excuse to sin is it not?
Honestly i don't know. My experience so far of life is that it's a competition and all about being opportunistic and taking advantage of things for your own benefit. You have to be selfish but in a good way.
I believe in God. I also believe that he came to Earth as a human, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins so that anyone who has faith in in Him will be forgiven of their sins.
Original post by karl pilkington
no I view God as a superstition there is no evidence for him/her. It is far more likely that everything (life) gradually adapted to earth rather than was made perfect to begin with.

There is no evidence of many things in this world yet we still believe in them. It's called faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Religion is built around belief and faith. Treating it with pure logic and reason is ignorant and lazy. Religion gives answers for things that science has no explanation for.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
nope - it is a personified representation of human ignorance, manifesting itself via the culture that a society upholds.

If you don't agree simply say so. I don't see why you feel you must attempt drag down my beliefs in order to uphold yours..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I believe in God... why?
Original post by Rhythmical
I don't know.

:angry:
Reply 98
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Yes, not believing in god is just an excuse to sin is it not?

Lol. Yeah, it's that and not that there's no proof of his existence or that most of what's included in the "holy" books is either disturbing or plain wrong

Joker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
:angry:

'I don't know if I can post my religious beliefs on TSR, I wish to keep this private as my belief in Allah is strong and I do not believe in making it public,'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending