The Student Room Group

Moving to Aberdeen with boyfriend

Me and my boyfriend have lived together for years and now I've been accepted to Uni we are both moving to Aberdeen! But I don't know what to do! We can't afford to private let and we also have 2 cats so student accommodation surely won't work since there is 2 of us!! We also need to look for jobs for him and we might need to move really fast to secure a job for him! I really don't know what to do! Am I going to end up homeless or having to not go to uni?
Reply 2

But I'm moving with my partner! How can we share with someone else? Should I get a flat I can't afford and then try and rent out a room myself ?
Reply 3
Original post by KasiaC
But I'm moving with my partner! How can we share with someone else? Should I get a flat I can't afford and then try and rent out a room myself ?

Most landlords/landladies don't allow subletting. Legally it tends to be a bit complicated.

A double-occupancy room in a flatshare seems the best bet. :wink:
Original post by stefano865
Most landlords/landladies don't allow subletting. Legally it tends to be a bit complicated.

A double-occupancy room in a flatshare seems the best bet. :wink:

Don't Aberdeen offer accommodation for couples/ mature students?
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2

OP has cats, which are forbidden in student accommodation
Reply 6

I can't find info on it anywhere! We can't be the first to do this but I'm really struggling to find any advice anywhere!
Reply 7
Original post by super_kawaii
OP has cats, which are forbidden in student accommodation

This is my biggest thing! I really don't want to have to give up my cats that's 100% a last resort! That's why housing associations are ideal! But their waiting lists can be years and we aren't sure we will get priority as we are moving cities and it tends to be for homeless, ill, pregnant people who already live in the city !
Reply 8

Probably.

The cats sort of complicate the situation. :redface:
Original post by KasiaC
This is my biggest thing! I really don't want to have to give up my cats that's 100% a last resort! That's why housing associations are ideal! But their waiting lists can be years and we aren't sure we will get priority as we are moving cities and it tends to be for homeless, ill, pregnant people who already live in the city !

NGL, you are making it VERY difficult for yourself by having pets and expecting to rent as the vast majority of student friendly places are strongly anti pet.

Plus moving house regularly can be incredibly stressful for pets, even more so than for us ourselves. You'll also be expected to be at uni for long stretches every day, so would you really be able to look after your cats properly?

It may be worth leaving the cats with any family you have from your hometown while you get a degree, then bring the cats with you once you have your own place, instead of just renting
Reply 10
Original post by super_kawaii
NGL, you are making it VERY difficult for yourself by having pets and expecting to rent as the vast majority of student friendly places are strongly anti pet.

Plus moving house regularly can be incredibly stressful for pets, even more so than for us ourselves. You'll also be expected to be at uni for long stretches every day, so would you really be able to look after your cats properly?

It may be worth leaving the cats with any family you have from your hometown while you get a degree, then bring the cats with you once you have your own place, instead of just renting

I already live in a rented accommodation with my partner and cats. They wouldn't be moving regularly? Cats are very independent animals and don't need attention 24/7. Bear in mind I am a mature student with a long term partner. I understand I am making it hard not giving them up as no one in my family can take them. And I have seen a few private rented accommodations that allow pets. But like I said I'm just hoping to get a local housing association property for cheap rent can bring pets and won't have to share. If not then I'll see if taking the cats can't be an option.
Reply 11
Original post by KasiaC
But like I said I'm just hoping to get a local housing association property for cheap rent can bring pets and won't have to share. If not then I'll see if taking the cats can't be an option.

You're probably asking in the wrong place, as few students will qualify for housing association homes because they generally have other options. You go on a central council waiting list if you qualify, and wait your turn. You're highly unlikely to get anywhere near the top of the queue during your course, but the only people who can tell you for sure will be the Aberdeen City Council Housing Department. This is their policy:
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=55440&sID=2038
You don't sound like you fall into one of the priority groups, but it must be worth a phone call to find out.

The first Aberdeen housing association I checked did allow pets, but only with their advance permission and a limit of two. So your cats would be fine there.
Original post by KasiaC
I already live in a rented accommodation with my partner and cats. They wouldn't be moving regularly? Cats are very independent animals and don't need attention 24/7. Bear in mind I am a mature student with a long term partner. I understand I am making it hard not giving them up as no one in my family can take them. And I have seen a few private rented accommodations that allow pets. But like I said I'm just hoping to get a local housing association property for cheap rent can bring pets and won't have to share. If not then I'll see if taking the cats can't be an option.

The fact you're a mature student with a long term partner is irrelevant. The problem you'll face is finding a place with the cats. While there are some places that accept pets, you're seriously limiting yourself in finding somewhere to live.

TSR would not be the best place to ask about Local Housing Association properties as we're not eligible and have a myriad of options available to us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending