The Student Room Group

What subjects are you taking for A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by futurematters
What subjects are you planning on taking for A-level? Or what subjects are you currently doing for A-levels?

I'm planning on doing maths, english literature, business and economics and accounting.

Drop one of them, everyone always ends up just doing 3 at the end of the year
bio, chem, maths (or as my school call it- the Asian trio) and either geog or psychology idk yet...
Maths, physics, chemistry, biology.

My school has switched to the new thing where you don't do AS levels and so they want most people to do three A-levels instead, because now if you take four and drop one after year 12 then you don't get any qualification for it (whereas before you'd get an AS).

They say that they're still letting some people do four if they think they can handle it, hopefully they will allow me to do four, if not I'll do maths physics chemistry.
Original post by NiamhM1801
I'm the only one from both my school and the school we're partnered with who chose it so they're not running it. I'm also not moving schools for sixth form because very few places other than the grammar school actually offer it near me and those that do are on the other side of the city :s-smilie:

That really is a shame! You could always learn German outside of school, though. D'you think you'd want to do that?
Original post by TheOtherSide.
That really is a shame! You could always learn German outside of school, though. D'you think you'd want to do that?

I've considered it but I don't even know where to start tbh
Reply 65
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Maths, physics, chemistry, biology.

My school has switched to the new thing where you don't do AS levels and so they want most people to do three A-levels instead, because now if you take four and drop one after year 12 then you don't get any qualification for it (whereas before you'd get an AS).

They say that they're still letting some people do four if they think they can handle it, hopefully they will allow me to do four, if not I'll do maths physics chemistry.

So are you trying for medicine ? What are your 4 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing French, Geography, Biology andWelsh Bacc and I'm also doing an extra qualification in Mandarin!
Original post by vn2410
So are you trying for medicine ? What are your 4 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am trying to get into medicine :smile: How'd you know?

What do you mean what are my 4?
Original post by alimila
Drop one of them, everyone always ends up just doing 3 at the end of the year

My school make you do 4 for the first year and then you are allowed to drop one.
Original post by sahra30013
I'm planning to take chemistry, biology and maths. Maybe EPQ- not sure yet

Aw cool! The EPQ sounds like a good thing to do. And I'm quite looking forward to the maths A-level because I'm doing an FSMQ of additional maths at the moment, so we've practically covered half of the course!
Original post by NiamhM1801
I've considered it but I don't even know where to start tbh

How about just listening to German stuff and maybe getting a German pen friend or something so that you don't forget the language?
Original post by aliceharmer15
Aw cool! The EPQ sounds like a good thing to do. And I'm quite looking forward to the maths A-level because I'm doing an FSMQ of additional maths at the moment, so we've practically covered half of the course!

Wow, you're so lucky. I also do a FSMQ but in Use of Maths unfortunately. Hopefully, maths next year will be as enjoyable.
Original post by sahra30013
Wow, you're so lucky. I also do a FSMQ but in Use of Maths unfortunately. Hopefully, maths next year will be as enjoyable.

It probably will. Maths is a nice subject to take I think :wink:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
How about just listening to German stuff and maybe getting a German pen friend or something so that you don't forget the language?

Yeah I think what I've decided is that I'll keep practicing it regularly but not actively trying to learn loads of new stuff, so that I don't forget the language then I'll just pick it back up again in later life :smile:
I am going to take: physics, chemistry, maths and further maths.

I can't wait for further maths and I've been told there is little interest so they are small classes (like one or two people) and it is with my favourite teacher so hopefully I will be able to keep up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS level- currently doing Media Studies, RE, Sociology and Government and Politics

Politics is banging :smile:
Original post by aliceharmer15

What's EPQ and FSMQ??
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
What's EPQ and FSMQ??

EPQ = Extended Project Qualification
FSMQ = Free Standing Maths Qualification
xx
Maths
Business Studies
English
Spanish
Original post by futurematters
What subjects are you planning on taking for A-level? Or what subjects are you currently doing for A-levels?

I'm planning on doing maths, english literature, business and economics and accounting.

I am currently taking A2 Computing, A2 ICT, A2 Maths, an AS in Further Maths, AS General Studies (not my choice :frown:) and an EPQ.

Last year I did AS Maths, AS Computing, AS ICT, AS Critical Thinking and AS Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest