The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
She was white, it would be inaccurate.

Maybe they aren't trying to be accurate. This is for entertainment, it doesn't have to be an exact historical representation..
Original post by misslovinggrace
Maybe they aren't trying to be accurate. This is for entertainment, it doesn't have to be an exact historical representation..

It is a blatant inaccuracy, it doesn't matter if it is entertainment.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
They cast a black man (Johnson from Peep Show) as York in their production of Henry V ages ago.

Personally I think it's fine. I'd like everyone in England to be able to join in our culture, and I don't think a production of a play need necessarily be realistic in every way. I don't like the idea of blocking black people from getting involved in the works of such a huge figure in English literature just because they happen to be set in the middle ages.

On the other hand, I'm not particularly interested in all the Hollywood 'whitewashing' complaints :dontknow:

I entirely agree; I would much rather that people whose family roots don't go back that far in this country still felt ownership of this history - felt that it is their history too - than that they feel themselves outcasts who can only identify with foreign countries they or their parents or grandparents once lived in.
Ridiculous
Original post by Observatory
I entirely agree; I would much rather that people whose family roots don't go back that far in this country still felt ownership of this history - felt that it is their history too - than that they feel themselves outcasts who can only identify with foreign countries they or their parents or grandparents once lived in.

But it isn't their history and it's that simple. You don't need to purposefully portray an inaccurate representation of history just so they can 'identify' with this country more.
but the queen was white :| accuracy > political correctness
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
But it isn't their history and it's that simple.

The end point of this logic is deportation or civil war.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Even JK Rowling was fine with the Hermione thing, she even said she never even originally stated Hermione's race.

Also there's less outrage because far more people know about Hollywood blockbusters with A list actors in than they know about some BBC period drama or w/e it is.

I know, but you've missed my point.

Hermione is a fictional character.

I can assure you that if a white man was playing a black slave on a BBC show, there would be outrage.
Original post by Dodgypirate

I can assure you that if a white man was playing a black slave on a BBC show, there would be outrage.

Yeah I guess, tbh if I was casting I wouldn't have cast her.
Original post by TercioOfParma
It is a blatant inaccuracy, it doesn't matter if it is entertainment.

I'm not denying it isn't inaccurate. It totally is, but I think that the skin colour any of the characters is irrelevant and if you feel that this is such a mockery of British history and is punishable by death then simply don't watch the show. :boring:
The end point of this logic is deportation or civil war.

That's just ridiculous. How does not being able to identify with English history = deportation/civil war?
Original post by misslovinggrace
I'm not denying it isn't inaccurate. It totally is, but I think that the skin colour any of the characters is irrelevant and if you feel that this is such a mockery of British history and is punishable by death then simply don't watch the show. :boring:

I never said it should be punishable by death, I think a recast is in order though. You don't see white people casting black characters in "entertainment" do you?
Original post by NickLCFC
That's just ridiculous. How does not being able to identify with English history = deportation/civil war?

If you have a large population living in this country that regards it as a foreign country then it will not consent to be governed as one country. Either the people have to go, or they have to be forced to obey, or we have to have partition.

I would much rather that everyone who is here be able to identify as part of the country.
She's one of my favourite actresses at the moment so I can't complain and will enjoy watching it, but the cynic in me does not believe that the BBC casted her purely on the basis that she is a great actress.
Get over it. It's Shakespeare.

Shakespeare has been reimagined a million times, including in modern settings. Okonedo is a very talented actress.
Original post by Dodgypirate

As is Queen Margaret in Henry VI, Part 1. It's a Shakespeare play, not a documentary. The Queen Margaret in this play isn't the actual Queen Margaret, it's a fictional character.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I am defending my culture. I want everyone in the country to be involved in our culture as much as possible, including black people in Shakespeare.

It is a serious work, but it isn't aiming at total realism. You can tell that it isn't going for total realism because people don't really talk to each other in iambic pentameter all the time.

This
Original post by Venusian Visitor
You're a cuck, If it's for a joke or spoof then whatever but a deadly serious historical drama, I'd be pissed off if they cast Martin Luther King as a white man. Defend your culture.

You're calling someone a cuckold :lol:

You'e probably never even had your penis in another human being (farm animals don't count). What are you, 15?

Grow up
If you have a large population living in this country that regards it as a foreign country then it will not consent to be governed as one country. Either the people have to go, or they have to be forced to obey, or we have to have partition.

I would much rather that everyone who is here be able to identify as part of the country.

Just because people can't identify with identify with English history, it doesn't mean they automatically regard it as a foreign country. A lot of Brits with foreign ancestry already identify with their foreign culture and heritage but that doesn't mean they don't 'consent to be governed as one country'. You're overreacting massively.

Basically, you want to portray English history completely inaccurately in the name of political correctness. You want to lie to other races to give them the impression they were somehow involved in English history. All because of the unrealistic scenarios you are suggesting will happen if we don't do this.
Isn't it great how the BBC have got all of us having a frank and honest conversation about race and discrimination in society particular against blacks. Wonderful.

Latest

Trending

Trending