The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What is the point?

Margaret of Aujou was French so that should mean a French woman should play her, Helen Mirren played Elizabeth II, Mirren has Russian ancestry, the Queen has German ancestry, no one said she should not play the Queen.
Reply 61
Original post by TercioOfParma
Michael Jackson had surgery to change his skin

He was still black lmao. There are light skinned black actors that could have taken the role. Lighter skin didn't make him any less black than he was to begin with.

He also had vitiligo, a skin condition, so he lightened his skin/wore makeup to even it out. It wasn't just to be lighter for the sake of it.

I feel its weird that they cast a black woman, but if it wasn't meant to be historically accurate, then its no big deal. If shes an amazing actress I'm sure that goes as a first priority over her race.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by slaven
A black man should play Hitler next time in a film, while a white would need to cast ML King. That would be fair.

Good idea, it would be an interesting film with them both in it.
Original post by misslovinggrace
He has a skin pigmentation condition that caused his skin to lose its colour. As far as I know he was content being black. To me, him being played by a white person is just as inaccurate as the queen being played by the black lady. So don't chat ****..

You still kinda chose a stupid person to make the comparison with, apparently he had vitiligo, which made him white (although there is some dispute over skin bleaching).

It would make more sense in his case to portray him with a white person than Denzel Washington, for instance, since the skin colour is more accurate.
Reply 64
Original post by misslovinggrace
Did I not say you were right and it was true :colonhash:

My bad, you are due an apology.
Original post by Maker
What is the point?

Margaret of Aujou was French so that should mean a French woman should play her, Helen Mirren played Elizabeth II, Mirren has Russian ancestry, the Queen has German ancestry, no one said she should not play the Queen.

I think you're completely missing the point. No one is suggesting she needs to be played by an English woman. Margaret of Aujou was white, so I think a white actress should play her role. I'm not actually that bothered by it. I only made this post because of the massive outrage that happens when 'white washing' occurs.
Original post by NickLCFC
You're so deluded. I expect history to represented accurately regardless of who is the majority of the population. I expect Nelson Mandela to be cast as a black guy and I expect a Queen of England to be cast a white woman. It's that simple.

By the way, it's nice to see you acknowledging the cultural genocide of the UK and acting like it isn't an issue.

I am trying to save the culture of this country, which will remain the culture of this country so long as most people living here identify with it. If British history before 1945 becomes the exclusive domain of a vanishing slice of the population then it will simply cease to be part of the country's culture, just as US history starts with the Mayflower and not with the Iroquois Confederation.

Hence your options: if you want British history to be for pre-1945 families only, then pre-1945 families must remain a dominant majority forever. That means ending immigration and probably deportations.

You want to intentionally reshape history to satisfy minorities.

History is what it is. I want to co-opt minorities, not satisfy them.
Original post by xTeex
He was still black lmao. There are light skinned black actors that could have taken the role. Lighter skin didn't make him any less black than he was to begin with.

He also has vitiligo, a skin condition, so he lightened his skin/wore makeup to even it out.

Does this look closer to benedict Cumberbatch or Samuel L Jackson' skin colour to you? It is irrelevant if he lightened it himself, what we want is an accurate representation.
I don't see how it is reasonable to exclude a significant cohort of actors and actresses from any production involving European history up to the start of the 20th Century.
Original post by slaven
A black man should play Hitler next time in a film, while a white would need to cast ML King. That would be fair.

Reply 70
So by that logic, you would be ok if colin firth played nelson Mandela or if John Wayne played emperor Meiji?

John Wayne played Genghis Khan in the Conqueror.
If Nelson Mandela can get played by a blacked up Ricky Gervais I think we could call it even. Would the Beeb have the cojones to do it? Rhetorical question.
Original post by Maker
John Wayne played Genghis Khan in the Conqueror.

Wasn't aware, that's stupid
I don't have a problem with immigration, I have a problem with mass immigration.

I never said I don't want immigrants to integrate fully into our culture either. I'm saying you don't need to inaccurately portray history so that they can integrate.

You can't ask people to integrate while denying them involvement in works of the national poet. That's like Germans saying they want immigrants to become fully German, and think of themselves as German, except they aren't allowed to listen to Beethoven or read Goethe.

The point has already been made, but being part of a culture includes identifying with its history.
Original post by Observatory
I can't rep you anymore but I agree with everything you've said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74
I think you're completely missing the point. No one is suggesting she needs to be played by an English woman. Margaret of Aujou was white, so I think a white actress should play her role. I'm not actually that bothered by it. I only made this post because of the massive outrage that happens when 'white washing' occurs.

Surely, its more important she should be played by a French woman than a white non French woman.
I am trying to save the culture of this country, which will remain the culture of this country so long as most people living here identify with it. If British history before 1945 becomes the exclusive domain of a vanishing slice of the population then it will simply cease to be part of the country's culture, just as US history starts with the Mayflower and not with the Iroquois Confederation.

Ok so you have good intentions but purposely creating false interpretations of history isn't needed to make people integrate.

Hence your options: if you want British history to be for pre-1945 families only, then pre-1945 families must remain a dominant majority forever. That means ending immigration and probably deportations.

You're just going round in circles now. The deportation thing is a massive overreaction. If you're suggesting that white British people will become a minority, then there's no reason why the new majority of the population shouldn't know the country was once 'white'.
Reply 76
Wasn't aware, that's stupid

It was made in the desert near Las Vegas where they tested a lot of nuclear bombs, folklore has it the radiation caused his cancer.
Original post by spiritofmccarthy
If Nelson Mandela can get played by a blacked up Ricky Gervais I think we could call it even. Would the Beeb have the cojones to do it? Rhetorical question.

Not only rhetorical but flawed. This woman isn't making herself look white.
Reply 78

Does this look closer to benedict Cumberbatch or Samuel L Jackson' skin colour to you? It is irrelevant if he lightened it himself, what we want is an accurate representation.

He was still black regardless of his appearance. And I said LIGHT SKINNED black actors, didn't I? You needn't use a white actor to achieve that appearance.

Samuel L Jackson is a bad example since he's dark skinned, so that would be clearly an unusual actor to use.

His skin was white. He was still black. I find it bad to use an actor that isnt black at all to play a black actor ONLY because his skin was white. They could have even lightened another actor for the role if they wanted to. It's down to laziness.

I get your view but I don't agree.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You can't ask people to integrate while denying them involvement in works of the national poet. That's like Germans saying they want immigrants to become fully German, and think of themselves as German, except they aren't allowed to listen to Beethoven or read Goethe.

You're putting words into my mouth. I'm not saying they can't be involved in the works of Shakespeare.

Latest

Trending

Trending