The Student Room Group

Would it be weird having a nice car at Uni?

Hi

I am a little bit concerned that when i get to university i will be seen as an outcast and will struggle to make friends.

When i passed i got a Mercedes C Class (not going to put the price as its irrelevant)

However i do not show off and would certainly never go around looking down on people if they did not have the same car or had no car as everyone is different and its non of my business. However a friend recently said that people would find it weird that as a student i had a expensive nice car when students are said to be struggling to eat etc etc.

So would people look at me in a weird way or just not want to be friends with me? I dont really care about peoples opinion but if EVERYONE is going to be weird with it then i would rather leave it at home.
Original post by SF1998

i got a Mercedes C Class (not going to put the price as its irrelevant)

not want to be friends with me?

Because these are the factors right??

I guess I see your point though, but it still wont be a huge factor, itll just show you chose to invest in a car rather than other things as long as you're friendly/have similar hobbies etc personally I wouldnt mind
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes. It would be weird.

Uni is massive! There are thousands of students there, and even though not one single person cares what you are doing, EVERYONE cares what you are doing.

They're just pretending to be minding their own business, focusing on themselves, their lives, their degrees, etc. Really they're all watching you.
Original post by ForestShadow

I guess I see your point though, but it still wont be a huge factor, itll just show you chose to invest in a car rather than other things as long as you're friendly/have similar hobbies etc personally I wouldnt mind

People have their toilet role going underneath?! What kind of lunacy is that???
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek

Apparently quite a few ppl but the patent shows it

and I guess as long as youre prepared

Original post by Luke Kostanjsek

They're probably those creeps who scrunch rather than fold
Reply 6

I like the pie chart hahahah, and i know it sounds weird but it was something brought up by a friend and i did understand his point, and i did not really want to be the odd one out if that make sense. Thanks for your reply though :smile:

Original post by claret_n_blue
Yes. It would be weird.

Uni is massive! There are thousands of students there, and even though not one single person cares what you are doing, EVERYONE cares what you are doing.

They're just pretending to be minding their own business, focusing on themselves, their lives, their degrees, etc. Really they're all watching you.

I can see through the sarcasm.. Not sure why, as it was a valid question. Get a life.
Original post by SF1998
I like the pie chart hahahah, and i know it sounds weird but it was something brought up by a friend and i did understand his point, and i did not really want to be the odd one out if that make sense. Thanks for your reply though :smile:

A slight difference in one thing in your life isn't going to affect your capability for having friends.
Probably going to get your paint scratched or some other 'prank' - a small but significant people in university accommodation think setting off fire alarms is the funniest thing ever.
Reply 9
Original post by SF1998
Hi

I am a little bit concerned that when i get to university i will be seen as an outcast and will struggle to make friends.

When i passed i got a Mercedes C Class (not going to put the price as its irrelevant)

However i do not show off and would certainly never go around looking down on people if they did not have the same car or had no car as everyone is different and its non of my business. However a friend recently said that people would find it weird that as a student i had a expensive nice car when students are said to be struggling to eat etc etc.

So would people look at me in a weird way or just not want to be friends with me? I dont really care about peoples opinion but if EVERYONE is going to be weird with it then i would rather leave it at home.

Hey,

I really don't think it will damage your potential to make friends. If anything, most people would think it's awesome you have a great car. You would have people who are jealous but haters gonna hate. People might be surprised as of how you got it if anything but nothing much else.

I will be getting an Audi A4 if I get all A's this year so hopefully that happens so I can roll up in my turbo :smile:

Nice car btw, C class always nice
Reply 10
Original post by Joinedup
Probably going to get your paint scratched or some other 'prank' - a small but significant people in university accommodation think setting off fire alarms is the funniest thing ever.

Scratching/keying a car is not really a prank, its sad if this stuff happens at university. Infact i would have thought that crap stopped after primary school. Guess not
A bunch of Asian students here have R8s or Maserati GTs. I remember in first year one guy in accommodation got picked up in a drop top Rolls Royce...don't think anyone will notice a lowly C-Class :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,

I really don't think it will damage your potential to make friends. If anything, most people would think it's awesome you have a great car. You would have people who are jealous but haters gonna hate. People might be surprised as of how you got it if anything but nothing much else.

I will be getting an Audi A4 if I get all A's this year so hopefully that happens so I can roll up in my turbo :smile:

Nice car btw, C class always nice

I would never put it on people like throw my keys around or have them on tables because its MY car nothing to do with anyone else. Thats so cool man i hope you get the grades!! I really liked the A4 when i went to have a look. What university?
Original post by claret_n_blue
They're probably those creeps who scrunch rather than fold

No. Nuh-uh. I draw the line somewhere. There is absolutely no way there are people who scrunch toilet paper before wiping their posterior.......THERE ARE LITERALLY LINES TO FOLD IT ALONG!!

You're actually eroding what little faith in humanity I had left. I hope you're happy
and I guess as long as youre prepared

Whoever owns that bathroom clearly just bought themselves a bag of haribo sugar free gummy bears.
Reply 15
Original post by alexschmalex
A bunch of Asian students here have R8s or Maserati GTs. I remember in first year one guy in accommodation got picked up in a drop top Rolls Royce...don't think anyone will notice a lowly C-Class :tongue:

What university?
Reply 16
Original post by SF1998
I would never put it on people like throw my keys around or have them on tables because its MY car nothing to do with anyone else. Thats so cool man i hope you get the grades!! I really liked the A4 when i went to have a look. What university?

Don't know about the university yet, grades will depend on that. As you can see my grades riding on an awful lot :smile:

Thanks. Yeah I would never show off but I would be happy knowing I have a car that I like.

Is it a 16 plate c class? or...?

Quick Reply

Latest