The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Muslim girl in warwick accommodation

I am a Muslim girl who will be moving to Warwick to study English Literature in semptember 2016.

I know that Warwick do not have single sex flats, (not very clear on the website) but was hoping for some advice on which campus to apply for.

I do not wish to apply for Bluebell and the likes of that as it is quite expensive. So I was wondering are there any Muslim students (mainly female) living in Warwick. If so, which campus would you recommend me that has the least amount of boys in it (lol!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by warwickacchelp
I am a Muslim girl who will be moving to Warwick to study English Literature in semptember 2016.

I know that Warwick do not have single sex flats, (not very clear on the website) but was hoping for some advice on which campus to apply for.

I do not wish to apply for Bluebell and the likes of that as it is quite expensive. So I was wondering are there any Muslim students (mainly female) living in Warwick. If so, which campus would you recommend me that has the least amount of boys in it (lol!)

I was thinking of going to stay at uni, if I would be I would privately rent maybe with a family which live near the uni because I think that would be much better, cause you don't come across all the drunk flat mates who come and go clubbing and drink and stuff, plus there's less guys, also privately is much cheaper and there are more options available
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by shazy2014
I was thinking of going to stay at uni, if I would be I would privately rent maybe with a family which live near the uni because I think that would be much better, cause you don't come across all the drunk flat mates who come and go clubbing and drink and stuff, plus there's less guys, also privately is much cheaper and there are more options available

How would i go about to privately rent? I don't mind my flatmates being drunk as long as its not in my room. I just don't want to be surrounded by loads and loads of dudes coming in and out of the campus. Do you reckon I should pop an email to the warwick acc
How would i go about to privately rent? I don't mind my flatmates being drunk as long as its not in my room. I just don't want to be surrounded by loads and loads of dudes coming in and out of the campus. Do you reckon I should pop an email to the warwick acc

I'd look on the Warwick gazette website or something they sometimes show rooms to rent

or here https://www.gumtree.com/search?distance=0&max_price=400&search_category=flats-and-houses-for-rent&q=room&tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%22room%22%2C%22s%22%3A%22room%22%2C%22p%22%3A3%2C%22t%22%3A13%7D&search_location=Warwickshire

or right move

I think I would be much better off renting during the second and third year. Thank you though... I'm just thinking of the best campus options for now which appears to be harder than I thought it'd be.
yeah you could email them but if they don't have single sex there's not much they can do to help you, they'd probably recommend staying privately either a house share or your own private studio flat or something which would be nice
[QUOTE="warwickacchelp;64347379"]I think I would be much better off renting during the second and third year. Thank you though... I'm just thinking of the best campus options for now which appears to be harder than I thought it'd be.[/QUOTE
oh yeah you never know you might just stay with people on campus where there only two boys and four girls or something, so might turn out okay
or you could just ask the uni for a flat in your own sometimes different unis do that so you'd have your own kitchen and bathroom, but it wouldn't be private renting it would still be through the uni,
I'm pretty sure they do have single sex flats, as on the application form (when I signed it) it asked me specifically if I wanted to be with all females or mixed. And one of my friends, who is not muslim, is in an all girls flat with girls who are all muslim because she asked to be put with all girls on her application. She's in Tocil. They place you in a flat based on what you write in your application and you can definitely put that you want to be with all girls. So yeah, just make sure you write that clearly because the option is there but once you're allocated a room, that's it.

Btw, I'm doing English :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EllainKahlo
I'm pretty sure they do have single sex flats, as on the application form (when I signed it) it asked me specifically if I wanted to be with all females or mixed. And one of my friends, who is not muslim, is in an all girls flat with girls who are all muslim because she asked to be put with all girls on her application. She's in Tocil. They place you in a flat based on what you write in your application and you can definitely put that you want to be with all girls. So yeah, just make sure you write that clearly because the option is there but once you're allocated a room, that's it.

Yay! Thanks so much for this/ I'm going to message you privately about this now. thanks a bunch.
Can confirm: Tocil have single sex flats.
Reply 10
I was wondering the same thing! Let me know where you guys apply :smile: btw does anyone know if there are many British Asians at Warwick?

Hi! Have you decided where you'd want to stay? I'm a Muslim girl too and I'm having trouble deciding.
When I worked at Warwick (up until 18 months ago), there was an option on the accommodation preferences form for "single sex only". Usually, the Resident Tutors assigned one flat in each accommodation block as single sex girls as long as there were enough stating this as a preference to make up a whole flat. I would be surprised if this has changed as you won't be the only female stating this preference.
Call the accommodation folks and they will be able to sort out single sex accommodation!
Reply 14
Btw i am also a muslim girl for a postgraduate program for Warwick business school, i also mentioned for a single sex area but for lakeside.
Reply 15

I'm a Muslim girl too and really need a place with single-sex. I knew before applying that there were places, but the website has not made it clear. I emailed them but they said that they cannot guarantee that and said that they're are a diverse institution and cannot always provide that even if it's for religious reasons.I'm really scared as I've made them my firm and if I get in what am I going to do with the mixed-sex flat??

How would I find a place to rent privately?

Also, have you applied, and if you have, which places???
If you have, have they emailed you back and did they confirm the same -sex accommodation in the email??
Reply 16

Do you know which flats definitely have same-sex areas for this year??
Reply 17
Original post by shazy2014

I know this is silly, but how would I privately rent??
Original post by Onica
Do you know which flats definitely have same-sex areas for this year??

Tocil is the only one that I know which 100% does have single-sex areas because I know numerous people who live there.
Reply 19
Tocil is the only one that I know which 100% does have single-sex areas because I know numerous people who live there.

Okay, thanks.:smile: I was told by email from the accommodation team that they change every year, is that true?? I mean I am able to apply for at least five, so I should get one, right? I'm not saying that I want a hall with Muslims, I don't mind if its non-Muslims, it's just I want it to be all girls.
Just out of interest,were there many Muslims in your fist year??

Also, how many rooms are there roughly per bloc/ hall??

Thanks for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending