The Student Room Group

Question about Bacteria?

Bacteria secrete a capsule of mucilaginous slime. This protects bacteria from white blood cells supposedly and helps groups of bacteria to adhere, right?

I don't see, how sticking together would protect Bacteria in adverse conditions. I mean the purpose of antibodies is to cause agglutionation, sticking many bacteria together and by doing that making it a lot more easier for phagocyte to locate and Engulf them.

I don't see how sticking together is both an Benefit and a risk for bacteria. Seems a tad contradictiory to me.
Someone explain please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
wikipedia:
The function of the slime layer is to protect the bacteria cells from environmental dangers such as antibiotics and desiccation. The slime layer also allows bacteria to adhere to smooth surfaces such as prosthetic medical devices and catheters.
i think youre mixing up the two different functions
see the first function is that the slime layer protects the cells from environmental dangers beuase it prevents the contact of the microorganisms or chemical with the bacteruim. This doesnt mean it does so by sticking to another bacteruim, it just means the cause of danger is prevented from touching the bacteria.
the other function helps it to stick to things such as your hands, food, surgical equipments etc to search for food or because it finds better conditions for growth or reproduction on that particualr surface. Thats what the adhering property is used for.
I'm not really sure about the point i made but this is how i memorized it
Reply 2
Original post by RAZA1999
wikipedia:
The function of the slime layer is to protect the bacteria cells from environmental dangers such as antibiotics and desiccation. The slime layer also allows bacteria to adhere to smooth surfaces such as prosthetic medical devices and catheters.
i think youre mixing up the two different functions
see the first function is that the slime layer protects the cells from environmental dangers beuase it prevents the contact of the microorganisms or chemical with the bacteruim. This doesnt mean it does so by sticking to another bacteruim, it just means the cause of danger is prevented from touching the bacteria.
the other function helps it to stick to things such as your hands, food, surgical equipments etc to search for food or because it finds better conditions for growth or reproduction on that particualr surface. Thats what the adhering property is used for.
I'm not really sure about the point i made but this is how i memorized it

My textbook says it "helps bacteria stick together for protection" it mentions nothing about surfaces.

image.jpg
Reply 3
OH. did you try asking a teacher? maybe they can attack better in groups?
Reply 4
No I didn't. Anyone else got an explanation ?
The slime capsule is there to make it harder for things to bind to the bacteria in the first place, i.e. antibodies, this will make it harder for phagocytes to recognise them and phagocytose them. Clumping together would also effectively reduce the surface area available for things to bind to the bacteria
Reply 6
Original post by AortaStudyMore
The slime capsule is there to make it harder for things to bind to the bacteria in the first place, i.e. antibodies, this will make it harder for phagocytes to recognise them and phagocytose them. Clumping together would also effectively reduce the surface area available for things to bind to the bacteria

Oh right, that makes sense. However, in my textbook it says The capsusle makes it easier for things to stick. This is what's confusing me, it says that the capsule is also used for Bacteria to stick together, which is some sort of defence mechanism. Is that correct?
Original post by Questioness
Oh right, that makes sense. However, in my textbook it says The capsusle makes it easier for things to stick. This is what's confusing me, it says that the capsule is also used for Bacteria to stick together, which is some sort of defence mechanism. Is that correct?

I don't know too much about capsules tbh, but when it says stick, it is most likely referring to other things with a similar composition, if you think of a capsule as a layer of carbohydrates etc, it is going to stick stick to other cells with a similar layering, such as other bacteria and cells with a glycocalyx. On the other hand, it is going to be harder for things like phagocytes to attach to the bacteria, so the capsule helps the bacteria avoid being taken in by phagocytes. I did mention that it will prevent antibodies from binding too, but I take that back, antibodies are so variable that there will be antibodies that can bind to components of the capsule, however binding by a thing called complement might be affected, but don't worry about that. As I said before, binding to eachother will also reduce surface area, which could be a defense mechanism I suppose
Reply 8
Original post by AortaStudyMore
I don't know too much about capsules tbh, but when it says stick, it is most likely referring to other things with a similar composition, if you think of a capsule as a layer of carbohydrates etc, it is going to stick stick to other cells with a similar layering, such as other bacteria and cells with a glycocalyx. On the other hand, it is going to be harder for things like phagocytes to attach to the bacteria, so the capsule helps the bacteria avoid being taken in by phagocytes. I did mention that it will prevent antibodies from binding too, but I take that back, antibodies are so variable that there will be antibodies that can bind to components of the capsule, however binding by a thing called complement might be affected, but don't worry about that. As I said before, binding to eachother will also reduce surface area, which could be a defense mechanism I suppose

Thanks for clearing it up! :smile:
Reply 9
Also on your point on agglutination, the difference is that macrophages have receptors (surface proteins) that recognise antibodies to help the binding and phagocytosis of the clumped bacteria, while the capsule hides any proteins that the macrophage or antibodies would recognise in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending