The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are social interactions at grammar schools far more hierarchical?

I have gone to a grammar school for my secondary education, and I seem to think of things far different from a lot of people who post on here and those who have gone to comprehensive.

I think of things in a much more hierarchical and political way than those who I have talked to about their times at secondary school, it seems to me a lot more rigid in comparison to comprehensive.

Is that true or am I simply looking at this in a more cyncial way than most people?

Scroll to see replies

Totally didn't just assume that everyone here doesn't go to a grammar school or once did.
Original post by Vikingninja
Totally didn't just assume that everyone here doesn't go to a grammar school or once did.

If you didn't don't respond, that should be quite clear
Original post by TercioOfParma

Not sure how its that clear since you are asking everyone here and never specifically aimed it at only people at grammar schools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
What makes you think I didn't go to one? Also not sure how its that clear since you are asking everyone here and never specifically aimed it at only people at grammar schools.

Well re read it, it would make sense if somebody with the experience would respond, it wouldn't if you didn't.
Reply 5

I didn't know going to a grammar made you so touchy and lacking in manners, must be the elitism kicking in.
Original post by Maker
I didn't know going to a grammar made you so touchy and lacking in manners, must be the elitism kicking in.

Sorry if that is the case, I just understood it would make sense that I would be asking for advice from somebody with experience. It's not elitism, it's just establishing without doubt what I am after.
Original post by Maker

There's nothing elitist about going to grammar schools. If you're smart enough, you get in. As far as im concerned grammar schools are no where near as elitist as they once were
If you're talking about social hierarchy, that isnt the case in my school. I think you just get judged on how intelligent you are and possibly there's a correlation.

In terms of thinking, i kinda agree, its really the culture that grammar schools give nowadays. Very academically rigorous
Original post by Youngmetro
If you're talking about social hierarchy, that isnt the case in my school. I think you just get judged on how intelligent you are and possibly there's a correlation.

In terms of thinking, i kinda agree, its really the culture that grammar schools give nowadays. Very academically rigorous

I am not sure there is correlation directly with intellect, although there is certainly an element of that.

It just seems more rigid and more political and underhanded than what I have heard of comprehensives and those who I have heard and have been to both attest to that somewhat.
Reply 10
Original post by Youngmetro
There's nothing elitist about going to grammar schools. If you're smart enough, you get in. As far as im concerned grammar schools are no where near as elitist as they once were

You don't have to be smart to get into a grammar, just have money and be pushy.
Original post by Maker

There are literally entrance exams you have to pass to get in. I only know one person who got in while failing, and that was because his home was very unstable.

If anything you sound touchy on this issue.
I went to one and it certainly hasn't had that effect on me. I was, however, expelled. So, it is probably reasonable to assume that I am not a representative case :lol:
Original post by ByronicHero
I went to one and it certainly hasn't had that effect on me. I was, however, expelled. So, it is probably reasonable to assume that I am not a representative case :lol:

How come you got expelled? I assume you went to a comprehensive afterwards, how was the social environment different if at all?
How come you got expelled? I assume you went to a comprehensive afterwards, how was the social environment different if at all?

Various reasons, but mainly because I just did as I pleased. I didn't, I dossed around for a while and then went to college a year early. I did go to a comprehensive 6th form later on, but there were no particular differences socially.

There are literally entrance exams you have to pass to get in. I only know one person who got in while failing, and that was because his home was very unstable.

If anything you sound touchy on this issue.

You definitely can tutor children to enormously improve their performance on those tests though, so his comments make plenty of sense in that context. And, for the record, this isn't a touchy subject for me: I passed the tests comfortably with no tuition and was in top set for every subject etcetc.
I am not sure there is correlation directly with intellect, although there is certainly an element of that.

It just seems more rigid and more political and underhanded than what I have heard of comprehensives and those who I have heard and have been to both attest to that somewhat.

I do agree, i think its simply because grammar schools are more academically rigorous and intense, and pass on that mindset.

Original post by Maker

Nope. I'm not rich (more working class really) and many of the people i know arent particularly rich. E.g. around 90% of pupils from my school (one of the top ones) have parents that didnt have a degree. <15% are even from low income families.

You dont need to be pushy, to beat off the competition for grammar schools you need some natural intelligence.
Various reasons, but mainly because I just did as I pleased. I didn't, I dossed around for a while and then went to college a year early. I did go to a comprehensive 6th form later on, but there were no particular differences socially.

You definitely can tutor children to enormously improve their performance on those tests though, so his comments make plenty of sense in that context. And, for the record, this isn't a touchy subject for me: I passed the tests comfortably with no tuition and was in top set for every subject etcetc.

That's interesting, I have heard things are a lot different.

Yes, you can tutor children, but if they are unable to understand the content then they will fail regardless, I know I went for tuiton for a couple of months 2 years before but I hated it. I said it was a touchy subject for him since he accused me of being elitist and touchy.
That's interesting, I have heard things are a lot different.

Yes, you can tutor children, but if they are unable to understand the content then they will fail regardless, I know I went for tuiton for a couple of months 2 years before but I hated it. I said it was a touchy subject for him since he accused me of being elitist and touchy.

Maybe they are different for people who lack social skills, or are perhaps less used to interacting with different groups of people. Very few of my friends went to grammar schools so if there is a difference then it is possible I was blind to it.

Sure, but the tutoring helps them understand. There were plenty of rather unintelligent people admitted to my school who received extensive support in order to do so. It is one of the reasons I am very anti-grammar. They sell a false promise; the notion that the children that attend them are necessarily more intelligent is a fig leaf. We'd be far better served by a fully comprehensive system with a culture of mobility between sets. But that is a whole other argument that I am not interested in having again :lol:

I don't mind if you call someone else touchy, I was simply pre-empting any similar comments that may have been directed my way :smile:
Maybe they are different for people who lack social skills, or are perhaps less used to interacting with different groups of people. Very few of my friends went to grammar schools so if there is a difference then it is possible I was blind to it.

Sure, but the tutoring helps them understand. There were plenty of rather unintelligent people admitted to my school who received extensive support in order to do so. It is one of the reasons I am very anti-grammar. They sell a false promise; the notion that the children that attend them are necessarily more intelligent is a fig leaf. We'd be far better served by a fully comprehensive system with a culture of mobility between sets. But that is a whole other argument that I am not interested in having again :lol:

I don't mind if you call someone else touchy, I was simply pre-empting any similar comments that may have been directed my way :smile:

I don't so much lack social skills as I have been recovering from a very dark spot in my life. I have seen other people in comprehensives recover a lot quicker socially than I have, and I am not sure that is down to how I am with people, since people still treat me with some respect. Then again, that could also because my issues were a lot worse than those people.

The grammar issue is an interesting one. I am pro grammar, but as you have correctly pointed out there is an issue with regards to the entrance tests. Maybe some for of randomised test? I am not sure, I certainly regret going due to the single sex aspect.
I don't so much lack social skills as I have been recovering from a very dark spot in my life. I have seen other people in comprehensives recover a lot quicker socially than I have, and I am not sure that is down to how I am with people, since people still treat me with some respect. Then again, that could also because my issues were a lot worse than those people.

The grammar issue is an interesting one. I am pro grammar, but as you have correctly pointed out there is an issue with regards to the entrance tests. Maybe some for of randomised test? I am not sure, I certainly regret going due to the single sex aspect.

Mine wasn't single-sex. I would never have agreed to attend a single-sex school :nope:

Quick Reply

Latest