The Student Room Group

Dentistry after a Maths degree?

Hey all.

So I've got an unconditional to start a 4 year masters degree in maths at Liverpool in September. My A levels were A*AABB in Maths, Further Maths, Further Maths (additional), Physics and Business.

So more recently I've been wondering about dentistry at uni. I want to complete the maths degree but im wondering whether after that anyone would take me for dentistry. However, I'm aware that all universities want Chemistry and (most want) Biology at A level. I'm also aware I haven't got the desired AAA A level grades as most universities don't accept Further Maths as a full A level.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever been in a similar situation to this and has got in to do dentistry, or if someone knowledgable about the field thinks about my chances.

Thanks.
Original post by KaptainCliff
Hey all.

So I've got an unconditional to start a 4 year masters degree in maths at Liverpool in September. My A levels were A*AABB in Maths, Further Maths, Further Maths (additional), Physics and Business.

So more recently I've been wondering about dentistry at uni. I want to complete the maths degree but im wondering whether after that anyone would take me for dentistry. However, I'm aware that all universities want Chemistry and (most want) Biology at A level. I'm also aware I haven't got the desired AAA A level grades as most universities don't accept Further Maths as a full A level.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever been in a similar situation to this and has got in to do dentistry, or if someone knowledgable about the field thinks about my chances.

Thanks.

It is possible to study dentistry via graduate entry programmes, although some of these require a degree in biomedical/life sciences or healthcare. The information on this page should be useful to you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry
Reply 2
I'd stick with the maths to be honest. You're obviously gifted there and it can lead to a very successful career. Far better than crouching and poking in people's mouths I reckon. But if your serious I'd have a serious chat with your uni now. I imagine entry to dentistry focuses heavily on biosciences as well as brain power and even a 1st in maths might not cut it.
Original post by theresheglows
It is possible to study dentistry via graduate entry programmes, although some of these require a degree in biomedical/life sciences or healthcare. The information on this page should be useful to you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry

Hmm.. I thought this might be the case. Thanks for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarek
I'd stick with the maths to be honest. You're obviously gifted there and it can lead to a very successful career. Far better than crouching and poking in people's mouths I reckon. But if your serious I'd have a serious chat with your uni now. I imagine entry to dentistry focuses heavily on biosciences as well as brain power and even a 1st in maths might not cut it.

Maths is good but I'm more interested in the practical side of things that dentistry offers. Maths is more academic so I understand it might not be desirable to a uni that offers dentistry which is more hands on. I think I'll wait and see where I am in my third year and if I'm still interested then I'll do Chemistry and Biology A level on the side. Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest