The Student Room Group

Should I leave Hull for Leicester?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 999tigger
Dont get so wound up on one table, go and look at the times ones and see what that says.

Go and talk to the course organiser for the degree you might take.

If not happy then get a transfer. Its a deccision you need to make for yourself.

Yeah, I just confused, because I thought you said Hull doesn't do mechanical engineering, while I am currently doing that course at Hull.

Yeah, overall, I still don't like how Leicester looks from the outside, but overall they are objectively the better university, but not by a longshot. And I'm thinking hard whether it's worth it to go to all teh trouble of switching and getting settled in leicester, just for that small bit of it being "better".

I will definitely check multiple league tables, but that's why I was so awe truck by leicester because they were consistently around 25th place in the CUG league tables, they're in the top 1% of universities worldwide etc. All these impressive stats, but when I actually went to see the campus it was a sad disappointment :frown:

But yeah thanks for your advise man
I was suggesting the reason for the low rating might be lack of information.
Reply 42
Original post by Oilfreak1
Yes as long as your course is accredited employers will not care at all. Only magic circle law firms/finance look at unis and Leicester is neither a target or semi-target so choosing hull over Leicester won't damage your career prospects at all. I personally would choose Leicester, not because of employment etc. Just because it's a bigger city so there's more to do.

I completely agree, that's a very good thing about accredditation.

I just got swept up by Leicester's stats, they just seemed to be consistently in around the 25th place in the league tables, they're in the top 1% in the world. All that stuff.

I feel that Leicester has more to do, at Hull it's pretty much te library where I hang out most of the time. At leicester I see myself in the big student union buildin, but their library is disappointing compared to hull.

I'm not sure about Leicester being bigger though, I heard it's quite small, or medium at best? Half rural, half city?

But yeah, I'm thinking about all of this now.
I just don't know if I "should" go to the university that is objectively better, but yeah I'll pay attention to how I really feel about transferring.

So far it doesn't seem worth it that much, don't like the look of the campus, and I am still trying to find something special about the uni that would make me want to go there. That might be the rather nice sports facilities, but I don't even do sports that much. They have a nice student union and a lot of places to eat/student restaurants, but then again, I'm not sure that's worth it either.

Some areas around the unis are nice, like the Oval park was stunning when the sun was shining, but then again, there's a huge cemetery in front of the uni. And I have no idea whatsoever how leicester is like as a city.

Other than that, all Hull has for me is their awesome library, their beautiful campus, their nice surrounding area and just a familiarity. Other than that, there's not much really, Hull's campus feels tiny compared to Leicester's, even though it's prettier. Also, the thing is, Nottingham and Aston still haven;t given me offers, will that mean that UCAS will withdraw my choices? That's what I'm currently worried about as well

Sorry for typing so much, just wanted to share how I felt about it. I think whatever happens, I have to make sure this is an idea I thought and reflected on enough before doing anything.
Reply 43
Original post by 999tigger
I was suggesting the reason for the low rating might be lack of information.

Oh alright, yeah I'll check out the other tables man.

Does UCAS decline your choices after a certain point btw?
I read somewhere that if your uni choices don't make decisions by say 4th of may for example, then they will decline the choices on the unis behalf?
Original post by tinyflame
I completely agree, that's a very good thing about accredditation.

I just got swept up by Leicester's stats, they just seemed to be consistently in around the 25th place in the league tables, they're in the top 1% in the world. All that stuff.

I feel that Leicester has more to do, at Hull it's pretty much te library where I hang out most of the time. At leicester I see myself in the big student union buildin, but their library is disappointing compared to hull.

I'm not sure about Leicester being bigger though, I heard it's quite small, or medium at best? Half rural, half city?

But yeah, I'm thinking about all of this now.
I just don't know if I "should" go to the university that is objectively better, but yeah I'll pay attention to how I really feel about transferring.

So far it doesn't seem worth it that much, don't like the look of the campus, and I am still trying to find something special about the uni that would make me want to go there. That might be the rather nice sports facilities, but I don't even do sports that much. They have a nice student union and a lot of places to eat/student restaurants, but then again, I'm not sure that's worth it either.

Some areas around the unis are nice, like the Oval park was stunning when the sun was shining, but then again, there's a huge cemetery in front of the uni. And I have no idea whatsoever how leicester is like as a city.

Other than that, all Hull has for me is their awesome library, their beautiful campus, their nice surrounding area and just a familiarity. Other than that, there's not much really, Hull's campus feels tiny compared to Leicester's, even though it's prettier. Also, the thing is, Nottingham and Aston still haven;t given me offers, will that mean that UCAS will withdraw my choices? That's what I'm currently worried about as well

Sorry for typing so much, just wanted to share how I felt about it. I think whatever happens, I have to make sure this is an idea I thought and reflected on enough before doing anything.

I have family in Leicester and have never been to Hull so am a bit biased towards Leicester as a city. That being said while being a great university Leicester in itself is an absolutely unremarkable university and employers will not look at it any differently than they would Hull, even being top 1% in the globe doesn't make it anymore internationally recognized (I would argue there are only 7-8 English universities with any global brand name at all and Leicester isn't one of them).

So seriously between the two choose the place you will enjoy yourself more
Reply 45
I have family in Leicester and have never been to Hull so am a bit biased towards Leicester as a city. That being said while being a great university Leicester in itself is an absolutely unremarkable university and employers will not look at it any differently than they would Hull, even being top 1% in the globe doesn't make it anymore internationally recognized (I would argue there are only 7-8 English universities with any global brand name at all and Leicester isn't one of them).

So seriously between the two choose the place you will enjoy yourself more

You definitely have a good point.

Only thing I'm concerned about know is whether Leicester is a good enough city for me to consider moving to it. My mom made the argument that Leicester is closer to Birmingham and London, which would make it easier for family and friends to visit me and vice versa. If you've ever been to Birmingham, how would you say Birmingham compares to Leicester as a city?

I don't like Hull as city, and I am worried about spending 4 years in the tiny student area of Hull, compared to Leicester where I might enjoy the city more.
Also are there more jobs in Leicester? I get the impression that there are not a lot of jobs here in Hull, but then again, this is a minor point.

But overall, you're very right about making the choice about where I would enjoy myself more. What I'm doing now is imagining the scenario where I would stay in Hull or the scenario where I would move to Leicester and I'm comparing what my gut feeling is about it.
You definitely have a good point.

Only thing I'm concerned about know is whether Leicester is a good enough city for me to consider moving to it. My mom made the argument that Leicester is closer to Birmingham and London, which would make it easier for family and friends to visit me and vice versa. If you've ever been to Birmingham, how would you say Birmingham compares to Leicester as a city?

I don't like Hull as city, and I am worried about spending 4 years in the tiny student area of Hull, compared to Leicester where I might enjoy the city more.
Also are there more jobs in Leicester? I get the impression that there are not a lot of jobs here in Hull, but then again, this is a minor point.

But overall, you're very right about making the choice about where I would enjoy myself more. What I'm doing now is imagining the scenario where I would stay in Hull or the scenario where I would move to Leicester and I'm comparing what my gut feeling is about it.

as you said local jobs are a moot point even if we were talking london v hull (unless at a target). I've only ever been to birmingham once at like 1am with coursemates to find some lasagna so can't really comment on the city. Had alot of experience with Leicester though and would love to have studied there for 3 years.
Reply 47
as you said local jobs are a moot point even if we were talking london v hull (unless at a target). I've only ever been to birmingham once at like 1am with coursemates to find some lasagna so can't really comment on the city. Had alot of experience with Leicester though and would love to have studied there for 3 years.

So you love Leicester as a city, or the uni, or both?One of my mates from uni used to live in Leicester and does not like it at all, which is what's making me worried.

From the Leicester prospectus it seems that their engineering graduates had landed jobs with a lot more companies that are more prestigious as well.Companies like Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce etc. But then again, I think those where just excellent graduates.I need to look into how much accreditation and uni rank plays a factor for engineering.

So far after paying attention to my "gut feeling" for a while, I feel that moving to Leicester would mostly mean a better/bigger city than Hull, while sacrificing the nice campus "looks" Hull has.I also need to see where the student areas are in Leicester, not the uni halls, but I mean the student house areas. If they seem similar to Hull, then I might move. But if it seems fragmented and not close to uni, ten I might not move.

Because that's what I like about Hull the most, the student area with all the student houses are so close to the uni, with all the shops, pubs and clubs being in the same place. But then again like I said earlier, I am worried I would get bored of being stuck in the student area for 4 years.

Overall, Hull just feels like a smaller university/city than Leicester, which is why I possibly might make the move, but I'm still looking at how I feel about it
(edited 8 years ago)
So you love Leicester as a city, or the uni, or both?One of my mates from uni used to live in Leicester and does not like it at all, which is what's making me worried.

From the Leicester prospectus it seems that their engineering graduates had landed jobs with a lot more companies that are more prestigious as well.Companies like Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce etc. But then again, I think those where just excellent graduates.I need to look into how much accreditation and uni rank plays a factor for engineering.

So far after paying attention to my "gut feeling" for a while, I feel that moving to Leicester would mostly mean a better/bigger city than Hull, while sacrificing the nice campus "looks" Hull has.I also need to see where the student areas are in Leicester, not the uni halls, but I mean the student house areas. If they seem similar to Hull, then I might move. But if it seems fragmented and not close to uni, ten I might not move.

Because that's what I like about Hull the most, the student area with all the student houses are so close to the uni, with all the shops, pubs and clubs being in the same place. But then again like I said earlier, I am worried I would get bored of being stuck in the student area for 4 years.

Overall, Hull just feels like a smaller university/city than Leicester, which is why I possibly might make the move, but I'm still looking at how I feel about it

I love Leicester as a city, I have no experience with it as a university.
Reply 49
I love Leicester as a city, I have no experience with it as a university.

Alright, I'll have a proper look into Leicester's student areas now to see if it's worth it.

Like I said, I just feel Hull's too small, but you're right about accreditation meaning tat uni ranking doesn't matter for engineering.
OP, I'm at Leicester so free to PM me or ask me any questions if needed :smile: I haven't found that it feels too close to the city/too busy at all - it's a good 20 minute walk from the city centre.
Reply 51
Original post by lilac2345
OP, I'm at Leicester so free to PM me or ask me any questions if needed :smile: I haven't found that it feels too close to the city/too busy at all - it's a good 20 minute walk from the city centre.

Oh hey,

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Well, at the moment I feel that it's very much a matter of where I want to live for the next 4 years. I mean, please don't take this personally but I don't really like how Leicester's campus looks overall, every building was too different in design and there's not enough green spaces around campus, ther's ust too much tarmac and concrete. I just wished every building looked like the Fielding Johnson building, that building is gorgeous :tongue:. All that aside though, I am more concerned with where I will be living really.

I would be living in halls if I lived in Leicester, and it seems that most of the shops are quite a distance away from the halls, and if you live in Oadby or Mary Gee, you would have to take a bus to uni.

The thing is, where I live in Hull right now, I live on a busy high street (not city like busy), so the shops are literally on my door step, and it takes me like 10 minutes to walk to uni. And I can pretty much walk to my friend's houses. It all feels like a student neighbourhood.

I am scared of leaving all the convenience, comfort and familiarity I have right now for Leicester. I'm scared that it just won't be as convenient in terms of being close to the uni or close to the shops.

But I just felt Leicester was a lot bigger, but nicer as a city for sure. And I am desperately trying to see how I feel about leaving for a bigger and nicer city, or stay in a small villagey, sub urban area like Hull? :frown:

How do you feel about Leicester overall?
There is an enormous public park (VictoriaPark) just next to the university campus -
https://www.le.ac.uk/maps/
Haha of course I wouldn't take it personally! I definitely agree that in terms of the buildings campus is not the prettiest. Victoria Park is right next to the uni though, I don't know if you've had a chance to visit it.

Yeah you're right, you would be getting the bus from Oadby or Mary Gee (unless you choose the 40 minute walk) and it is a real pain to be honest, but not the end of the world since you'll move for second year anyway. Though there is the option of Freeman's Common which is a 5 minute walk from university. As far as shops go, Asda is a 10 minute walk, and Oadby town centre is a little further along which is a nice little place to go for things like Costa, M&S and convenience shops. It helps having the O2 as well because most students will end up there on nights out.

You sound like you've put a lot of though into it and I agree that it's best to go with your gut instinct, there's always the possibility of transferring back if wherever you end up isn't what you'd hoped.

Personally, I'm enjoying being in Leicester but I do sometimes wish I was somewhere even bigger and busier. Have you visited halls? I do think Oadby student village is a lovely place to live, especially since it's right by the botanical gardens.
Reply 54
Original post by Isinglass
There is an enormous public park (VictoriaPark) just next to the university campus -
https://www.le.ac.uk/maps/

Yeah I know about Victoria Park, but I just meant that once you're inside the campus, there's not too much greenery around.
Yeah I know about Victoria Park, but I just meant that once you're inside the campus, there's not too much greenery around.

Hi @tinyflame , did you decide to stay in Hull or move? btw are you now a first year at Hull university?
I think I will have different lecturers next year, I honestly don't really pay much attention to the teaching quality. And it has been alright, and with foundation year I don't think we got the super enthusiastic teachers compared to next year.. Yeah I'm doing a foundation year at Hull this year and it's almost finished.

I am so worried that all my other five ucas choices will finish their decision making, at which point I would need to make a firm and insurance choice. I thought about transferring next year instead of this year, but I am scared that it would be harder to do with less chance of success?

I feel that right now is the perfect opportunity to transfer if I could, and I am scared of not taking the opportunity and regretting it next year? On one hand I could transfer and start from first year at leicester again after next year, but that would mean I would lose one year of student finance. Or I transfer straight into second year at leicester, but the disadvantage is that I would not be a fresher there and would have to settle in from the second year which might be problematic.

I honestly don't know because I feel that Hull has a low reputation and is basically a university where most clearing students go to, but from my time here I have started to love the university and its surroundings.

But the thing is, that these surroundings are generally close to university, I don't know how I feel about staying put in one small area for the next 4 years. That's one aspect I like about Leicester in that it's a nicer city and there's more to see.

But I am so worried about basing my choice on looks :frown:
th thing is the Hull campus is nice, open and green, while the Leicester campus feels like a concrete jungle and is in front of a massive cemetery. It's not that the surrounding areas of Leicester are ugly, in fact there is a nice park called the Oval which was just so beautiful to walk in. But I don't know, overall I like Hull more aesthetically

Can I send you the google maps or pictures of both unis so you can se why I'm worried?

I go to Leicester Uni and it is really beautiful here. A lot of the buildings are Regency or Victorian, there are so many green spaces and parks, I love living it Leicester. Also, the lecturers I've had have consistently gone above and beyond in support and teaching. Maybe, if it's safe to do so, make a trip down to Leicester to get a feel for the city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending