The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP2 Further Pure 2 – 24th June [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hjyu1
What would people say the hardest topic in fp2 is?

The hardest questions I think change every year, it's a good idea to have a strong background in every topic.

I might suggest this book

https://archive.org/details/FurtherMathematics

to all people sitting the Fp2(as well as the rest of them), it's amazing for roots/demoivres/nth roots etc!
Reply 21
Original post by jjsnyder
For me personally, I would say nth roots of unity, but it really depends on the paper I find. Sometimes roots of unity questions are the easiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes the argand diagram questions can be tricky, how's revision going for step 2/3
Reply 22
Original post by Argylesocksrox
The hardest questions I think change every year, it's a good idea to have a strong background in every topic.

I might suggest this book

https://archive.org/details/FurtherMathematics

to all people sitting the Fp2(as well as the rest of them), it's amazing for roots/demoivres/nth roots etc!

That's for that, are you sitting fp2 this year?
Original post by Hjyu1
That's for that, are you sitting fp2 this year?

Yeah, all the other FP's too :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Hjyu1
Sometimes the argand diagram questions can be tricky, how's revision going for step 2/3

Mixed results really. Don't seem to be improving from a borderline 1/2 on most papers so my results will really depend on what questions come up. STEP is so difficult :frown: (But it is really good fun!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Mixed results really. Don't seem to be improving from a borderline 1/2 on most papers so my results will really depend on what questions come up. STEP is so difficult :frown: (But it is really good fun!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It must make alevel maths seem so easy though
Reply 26
Original post by Hjyu1
It must make alevel maths seem so easy though

It does that is true, I don't have any difficulty with A-Level Maths and FM which is good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Adam_98
Really need to crack on with revision for this module, FM teacher is so bad I spent half the year struggling to self-teach

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, my teacher is basically non-existent, every lesson we sat down and were made to read the free AQA textbook, and just do the exercises :lol:

I am fully self taught this year, I have to admit FP2 was one of the harder ones to self teach (M5 and FP4 were the hardest though!), took me a while to get to grips with some of the topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where the hell did you get resources for M4/M5 for AQA, I can't believe they don't have a book published!
Also what did you use other than the free textbook for FP4?

Original post by Hjyu1
What would people say the hardest topic in fp2 is?

De Moivre's, roots of unity in particular. I hate those questions which ask me "show that tan a + tan b + tan c = d" or something like that you know what I mean
Reply 28
Original post by C0balt
Same, my teacher is basically non-existent, every lesson we sat down and were made to read the free AQA textbook, and just do the exercises :lol:

Where the hell did you get resources for M4/M5 for AQA, I can't believe they don't have a book published!
Also what did you use other than the free textbook for FP4?

De Moivre's, roots of unity in particular. I hate those questions which ask me "show that tan a + tan b + tan c = d" or something like that you know what I mean

ah yeah I know them ones tbh im starting to give up on trying to get an A* I'm wishing for 80+ in fp2/3 then try get 90+ in m1/2/fp1
Reply 29
Original post by Hjyu1
ah yeah I know them ones tbh im starting to give up on trying to get an A* I'm wishing for 80+ in fp2/3 then try get 90+ in m1/2/fp1

Nooo don't give up :hug:
But yeah man my confidence with meeting my A* in FM offer has been low ever since I got my offer. I'm trying to get around 95 in M2 M3 so that I can get away with low A in FP2/FP3 to get an A*. I also have FP4 I can fall back on but I've never been serious for the module, it was just self taught out of "lol why not, I've got some time to kill in the summer"
Reply 30
It does that is true, I don't have any difficulty with A-Level Maths and FM which is good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tried a couple step 3 questions could only partially do the start before I got stuck
Reply 31
Original post by C0balt
Nooo don't give up :hug:
But yeah man my confidence with meeting my A* in FM offer has been low ever since I got my offer. I'm trying to get around 95 in M2 M3 so that I can get away with low A in FP2/FP3 to get an A*. I also have FP4 I can fall back on but I've never been serious for the module, it was just self taught out of "lol why not, I've got some time to kill in the summer"

What's your offer, and yeah I'm self teaching this year as well fp1-3 m1/2 and s2 and d1 finished my maths last year. My offer is an A in further mathematics (must seem easy for you camb offer holders). M3/fp4 seem like a solid modules I just looked at the content and thought forget it no point
Reply 32
Original post by Hjyu1
Tried a couple step 3 questions could only partially do the start before I got stuck

They are really good fun, promise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
They are really good fun, promise!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It actually is I did the 2004 step 3 the first question is really nice and also the last question on differential equation was simple compared to the rest of the paper, I still need to try the mechanics part that looks like it will be good. Is step 2 basically step 1 but harder
Reply 34
Original post by Hjyu1
What's your offer, and yeah I'm self teaching this year as well fp1-3 m1/2 and s2 and d1 finished my maths last year. My offer is an A in further mathematics (must seem easy for you camb offer holders). M3/fp4 seem like a solid modules I just looked at the content and thought forget it no point

My offer is A*A*A, one of A* in FM. What course? Maths? D1 sucked my life out last year tbh lol
FP4 is interesting but M3 is sorta dull, like collision and projectiles are small extensions from M1 (but relative velocity...:colonhash:)
Reply 35
Original post by C0balt
My offer is A*A*A, one of A* in FM. What course? Maths? D1 sucked my life out last year tbh lol
FP4 is interesting but M3 is sorta dull, like collision and projectiles are small extensions from M1 (but relative velocity...:colonhash:)

Economics and statistics at ucl standard offer is AAA (with A in maths /further) but I got A* in maths last year and A in chemistry (Missed my a* by 2 marks) and another BB and now I'm self teaching further cause my 6 form doesn't offer it and no where close does it. What college have you got an offer from for camb (well done for getting an offer if I applied would of got rejected straight )
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Hjyu1
Economics and statistics at ucl standard offer is AAA (with A in maths /further) but I got A* in maths last year and A in chemistry (Missed my a* by 2 marks) and another BB and now I'm self teaching further cause my 6 form doesn't offer it and no where close does it. What college have you got an offer from for camb (well done for getting an offer if I applied would of got rejected straight )

Much respect for you that you weren't put off by the module of evil that is S1 :lol: Stats is an important and interesting discipline but S1 ruined it for me :tongue: But darn, must've been frustrating to miss the A* by 2 marks, did you remark or didn't bother because it didn't count for the offer?
Thank you, I got an offer from Christ's
Reply 37
Original post by C0balt
Much respect for you that you weren't put off by the module of evil that is S1 :lol: Stats is an important and interesting discipline but S1 ruined it for me :tongue: But darn, must've been frustrating to miss the A* by 2 marks, did you remark or didn't bother because it didn't count for the offer?
Thank you, I got an offer from Christ's

Initially I was like 5 marks up then it went up by 3, I was annoyed on results day but I got over it eventually I was going resit a module just to get my A* then there was no point might as well focus on my offer
Resources

FP2 Revision Materials and Past Papers: https://goo.gl/7D0ZnQ
Revision Videos: http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/aqa-revision

Original post by Argylesocksrox
I might suggest this bookhttps://archive.org/details/FurtherMathematicsto all people sitting the Fp2(as well as the rest of them), it's amazing for roots/demoivres/nth roots etc!
thank you for these !!!!
Reply 39
Wasn't looking forward to this anyway but with the way AQA have been with maths exams this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending