The Student Room Group

Maths A level

Is it really A MUST to do Maths at A level if you want to do accountancy or investment banking?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Is it really A MUST to do Maths at A level if you want to do accountancy or investment banking?
Thanks.

Nope but if you want to go to a really good uni then maybe?
Reply 2
Original post by akawais
Nope but if you want to go to a really good uni then maybe?

Alright, do you do maths?
Thanks.

It's an easy A level and looks good.

You should do it
Reply 4
Alright, do you do maths?

Yep I'm doing Maths in school. I want to get an A.
Reply 5
Original post by LelouchViRuge

You should do it

Really?....
Original post by Rajive
Really?....

Yup!

However, when I say easy, I don't mean you can get away with no work.

If you put in an hour per day and don't lose discipline, then you're guaranteed a good grade.
Reply 7

You should do it

What exam board do you do?
What exam board do you do?

Edexcel :smile:
Reply 9
Yup!

However, when I say easy, I don't mean you can get away with no work.

If you put in an hour per day and don't lose discipline, then you're guaranteed a good grade.

So what about the other A levels that you do because apparently it takes alot of time and you're not able to concetrate on other a levels
So what about the other A levels that you do because apparently it takes alot of time and you're not able to concetrate on other a levels

That's probably the biggest disadvantage of Maths. If you get lazy with Maths and keep putting off working on it. Eventually, you'll keep attending class and you'll have no clue what the teacher is talking about because Maths builds on from previous maths. So, then you'll need to catch up with a lot of work. Catching up can take A LOT OF TIME. I'm talking about 8-12 hours, as you'll need to do textbook exercises and they often take a while. This will inevitably cause you to fall behind in your other subjects.

However, if you consistently do an hour a day, then you'll never get yourself into that position!
Thank you!
Do you actually sit down for an hour or at some point you get distracted? and what do you do to solve it
Am so scared of doing maths at A level because I know I will not get an A at GCSE however much I try at the moment, am a C grade which isn't good and obviously wont be accepted
Reply 12
Thank you!
Do you actually sit down for an hour or at some point you get distracted? and what do you do to solve it
Am so scared of doing maths at A level because I know I will not get an A at GCSE however much I try at the moment, am a C grade which isn't good and obviously wont be accepted

Best way for maths is past papers, past papers and even more past papers. I am in year 11 like yourself, and I have boosted my grade from a solid Grade B in December to a high grade A in my recent mock examination and I will be doing maths at a level. Past papers are literally gold dust.
Oh wow!
Thank you for that information

Posted from TSR Mobile
Id recommend it
It's a good idea. Trust me. And quite fun haha.

Skips :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by CplSkippy

What did you get in maths as/a2 and GCSE?
Original post by CplSkippy

quite fun but hard would be the best thing to say possibly
Reply 18
wasnt the best in maths during gcse but an A was so close they had to increase the grade boundaries, the format of the paper was a little different and everyone was complaining on the internet if you remember.

Spoiler

Reply 19
Original post by djmans
wasnt the best in maths during gcse but an A was so close they had to increase the grade boundaries, the format of the paper was a little different and everyone was complaining on the internet if you remember.

Spoiler

What a levels do you do now?

Quick Reply

Latest